Girly men resurrected

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nancymae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Girly men resurrected

Post by nancymae »

Yes, it is true....Arnold did it again last night. (If I knew how to link, I would...but check out the article on www.msn.com on Arnold's speech.

What I want to know is:

1. What IS an economic Girlie Man?

2. What about the female economists? Where do they fit in?

3. Will the girlie-man website be resurrected as well?

Thank you,

NOT a girlie-man...just a girl.

Nancy
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

To post the link you just copy what is showing in the address field at the top of your browser window (that is what it is called in IE).

You then just paste it into your post and it should parse into a clickable link. Try it, do a preview first, and away you go.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

Thanks Steve...here it is!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5881508/

You can even watch the video...entitled: Don't be an economic girlie man!!

Good ole Arnold....

Enjoy,
Nancy
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

"Girlie man". Hmmm. I think that's what we used to call a sissy. It carried the implication that the person being called a sissy was less than masculine. I think what we have here is a manifestation of homophobia. And Arnold should know. He spent countless hours in his youth with scantily-clad body builders with oiled and depillated bodies, hot from a set of arm curls or sit ups. Is this a case of overcompensation or a latent tendency crying to be released from captivity?
Mike
Tres

Post by Tres »

burnsbyrne wrote:"Girlie man". Hmmm.... I think what we have here is a manifestation of homophobia.
Oh come on now. Have we all checked our senses of humor at the door? Its just a funny expression-- originally used asa way to make fun of him on SNL. Its not homophobic, anymore than it is homophobic to call some people wimps-- guys can be wimps, gals can be wimps, straight and gay.

Tres
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Tres wrote:
burnsbyrne wrote:"Girlie man". Hmmm.... I think what we have here is a manifestation of homophobia.
Oh come on now. Have we all checked our senses of humor at the door? Its just a funny expression-- originally used asa way to make fun of him on SNL. Its not homophobic, anymore than it is homophobic to call some people wimps-- guys can be wimps, gals can be wimps, straight and gay.

Tres
Well, I didn't check my sense of humor at the door. I thought I was making a joke. Perhaps I was misunderstood because I forgot to add a smiley. :)
Mike
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

burnsbyrne wrote:Perhaps I was misunderstood because I forgot to add a smiley. :)
Mike
[laughs]
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
Denny

Post by Denny »

burnsbyrne wrote:... crying to be released from captivity?
... not sure that they all want released!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Basically, it is a way to make fun of gay men without actually making fun of gay men outright.

It's meant to be humourus, sure. But at the same time it's also a homophobic joke. The two aren't exclusive, you know.

Making fun of retarded people or Jews can also be funny sometimes, but it's still not right.
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

What I want to know is:

I didnt hear the speech or the context. .. it likely refers to any legislator that held up his budget from getting signed.

Or perhaps it refers to those making wages so small, "weak kneed" and "girlish" that they did not realize any benefit from the Bush tax cuts... (That would describe anyone who was not on the convention floor, or in the backroom fundraising events)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Rockymtnpiper wrote:
What I want to know is:

I didnt hear the speech or the context.
Then why comment?
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Hmmm
LOADING PLEASE WAIT..................................................................
Mething My mozilla firefox is missing a few plugins...
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

Then why comment?
To hopefully turn the discussion in a different direction. Indeed, the "girlie men" comment may not be politicly corrrect. I have serious doubts that it was meant to be homophobic, nor to offend anyone except for certain legislators holding up his budget.

Would you really prefer a politician who speaks only from carefully worded teleprompters, and screens every question before being asked??
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I would prefer a politician that would not think that way in the first place.

Ron
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Maybe someone should ask Ah-nold what his "Final Solution" would be?
Has he got plans to take care of those darned girlie men? I'm sorry, nothing against his political party or anything, but I see somewhat of a conflict electing actors to positions of power. The fact that they are professional actors (yes, I realize that could be debateable in his case) makes for a dangerouse situation. Hey! We need people that are better at lying! Better at fooling us! Convince us of policy with catchy one liners! Make my day! I'll be back! Asta la Vista! Now I feel like a real informed voter!
Lets elect actors. And Rock stars. And studio wrestlers. How about some shock jocks and lichen stars? Magicians? Yeah. Right. They know how to run the world. Hey. I love the Simpsons. I demand we nominate Homer Simpson with all haste.
Has anyone considered that if we had this mentallity 25 years ago, we would likely haved elected the "Where's the Beef!?!" lady to some important office? I'm sure the Taco Bell Chalupa dog would have been in the running for at least a governor's position a few years ago.
We love to lambast Hollywood and spoiled one-dimentional moronic actors. Until they run for office.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.