Thank you, Gaelic Storm

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Thank you, Gaelic Storm

Post by FJohnSharp »

I had to pick up my kids at camp and it's usually an overnight trip and we pass through Columbus. SOOOO, I dragged the wife to the Dublin (Ohio) Irish Festival. She wasn't against it, it's just not her thing. We watched the Kells, who were good, and had some fish and chips and visited Mike Burke at his booth and I sat in uilleann pipe seminar while she shopped, and then I said I wanted to see Gaelic Storm and she nicely went along.

They weren't at all what she expected. She really liked them. They won her over. She likened them to a good rock act, and they were funny and fun and the crowd was into it and it was a blast.

She even talked about going back.

God love ya, Gaelic Storm.

And anyone who is in driving distance of Dublin Ohio should go next year. It's an outstanding festival.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Duffy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Duffy »

Storm has their way. My 8 year old grandson saw them at the Milwaukee Irish Fest last year and has memorized the words from all four albums. The whole family plans to see them in Milwaukee again in just 12 more days. I just hope I can fit in all the groups I want to hear.
Rando7

Re: Thank you, Gaelic Storm

Post by Rando7 »

FJohnSharp wrote:I had to pick up my kids at camp and it's usually an overnight trip and we pass through Columbus. SOOOO, I dragged the wife to the Dublin (Ohio) Irish Festival. She wasn't against it, it's just not her thing. We watched the Kells, who were good, and had some fish and chips and visited Mike Burke at his booth and I sat in uilleann pipe seminar while she shopped, and then I said I wanted to see Gaelic Storm and she nicely went along.

They weren't at all what she expected. She really liked them. They won her over. She likened them to a good rock act, and they were funny and fun and the crowd was into it and it was a blast.

She even talked about going back.

God love ya, Gaelic Storm.

And anyone who is in driving distance of Dublin Ohio should go next year. It's an outstanding festival.
I have a chance to see the Kells in a few weeks, would you recommend them?

I also like Gaelic Storm. They are often criticized by folks who prefer a more traditional approach but as you say they are very entertaining and put on a great show. My wife likes them too!
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The Kells feature a bodhran player, a piper/flautest/whistle player, and a guitar player/singer. They did some straight trad and some more folksy stuff. I liked them. The boshran player is very good and playes very tastefully.

The whistle player did the whistle workshop later in the day. I only stayed for a few minutes when I saw they were going to essentially rehash Whistle 101. But the guy was very entertaining.

I would for sure go to a performance of theirs. I'm planning to buy a CD (available soon, I'm assured, at their website (which I'll post a link for tomorrow)
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

How would you compare GS to Phil Hardy and his genre of whistle playing?

Does GS have a web site where we can get a feel for their music?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

GS is high energy, a hint of trad. rachous, bawdy entertainment. Phil is a whole nuther direction. GS does have a web site - easy search.

Kells will be in Milwaukee all four nights. I haven't seen them yet but they're on my list.

Sure wish they'd import some Irish beverages. Local brew rules.
Firefly

Re: Thank you, Gaelic Storm

Post by Firefly »

Rando7 wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:I have a chance to see the Kells in a few weeks, would you recommend them?
I saw the Kells about a year ago at a local Irish fest - they were <I>amazing</I>, as is their CD. I'd recommend checking out both!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Gaelic Strom is so great. :D
Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke »

Hi Everyone,
Just got back from Dublin Fest.
I saw the Kells and I thought they were great. Brian McCoy is one of the finest whistle and flute players I have ever seen. He can play the D at Warp Speed and the low D almost as fast and he can play with amazing skill in a slow air too. Don't miss them. Eddie Cotter is also a great drummer. Great band and lots of fun.