Website Update Project. Help Needed.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Website Update Project. Help Needed.

Post by Dale »

I need to look again at updating the website. I'm particularly interested in trying to make the following pages as up-to-date as possible:

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/Expens.html

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/low.html

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/inexp.html

I could use help. A lot of help, actually.

For a first effort--let me just call for people to look at any or all of those pages carefully and make notes of outdated information, incomplete listings, etc. Suggested additions. Clips from reviews on this board.

If this approach doesn't work out, I might call for people to come forward as volunteers and divide those pages up into chunks and divvy them up.

But, I'd really be grateful for your help.

Ok to post suggestions here or by email to me. Try to avoid PMs for this one.

Thanks very much for your support.
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

Sorry, Dale, at this point the only help I can offer is this bump.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Dale, I'm in. I'll email you.
/Bloomfield
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Peter Laban and Jessie Driscoll along with SirNick did an extensive review of the Humphrey Whistle recently. Also there's good pics of the whistle on his web page. Clare whistles could use an update as the cost and colors are different. I got a brass Clare with a green mouthpiece. I know that the Whistle Shop and Lollycross both sell Clare Whistles
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

I looked on both the Expensive and Inexpensive page and found nothing about Freeman Tweaked Generations, Shaws and Sweetones. Sweetones are $15.00 and D Shaws and Gens are $36.50. Whistle and Drum has more info and the pricing list.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

There's a main website?

Gee Sorry Dale, I forgot aboot it! Hummm let me wander over there and take a gander, which I haven't done in quite a while.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I am happy to provide short reviews of anything. I don't feel like coming up with which ones, because others may have provided them. There are several modern whistles I haven't played, but I have played most. Dale...I did get a Sweet pro whistle. It's very loud, so not suitable as a living room whistle, but very good other than that.

If you need anything specific, let me know.
~JessieD
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The Alba page and the Walton's page could use some updating. There are many more models of Albas available than what is listed. Nothing is mentioned about the Q1, SE or low C. The Waltons Mellow D is not listed. This has been one of the best cheapies I have bought.

Ron
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

Dale, have you considered using some sort of review database, where users can contribute their reviews, and perhaps (like at Amazon) review the reviewers as well? This would cut down on the maintenance time, and make the reviews searchable and cross-referencable (maker, type of whistle, materials used, reviewer, etc.). I'm a web application/database developer (and I bet I'm not the only one here), and might be able to find and tweak some existing software, or write something up from scratch. Once the software is in place, you'd just need people to scour the boards for old reviews and plug them in.

If you're interested, let me know. What type of server(s) are you running the page on, by the way?
glauber

Post by glauber »

I think the reviews are more valuable if they are all from the same person (Dale), because this makes them more comparable.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

glauber wrote:I think the reviews are more valuable if they are all from the same person (Dale), because this makes them more comparable.
Yes, but dale could still have his in the database, and using cross refrence from others would be nice. I fully support dales reviews, but as you know we all have various styles and characteristics we like, Thus reading a review from a person who perhaps likes alot of chiff may say one thing where dale might say there is to much [hypothetical].

But I do see your point as quality control glauber :)
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Dale - I haven't had a chance to look over the site in detail yet per your request, but this one has been on my mind for awhile:

on the main page, the first full paragraph ends with:

"most famously the British Isles."

I would imagine that I'm not the only one to have an issue with this phrase ("the British Isles"), as this noticeably leaves out Ireland (you know, the "other" island...), which of course, isn't (and never should have been...) part of the British Isles. Sooo, my first suggestion is to rephrase this so Ireland isn't thought of as part of the UK. my $.02. for now anyway.

(or since I'm writing this from my editing job, maybe $.03, you tell me...)
Last edited by stiofan on Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

A few thoughts:

Rather than labeling certain whistles as "new," (which invariably becomes outdated), simply put a date below each whistle entry to indicate how recent the information is.

Abell offers high F to low G (excepting C#).

Are the whistle listings meant to be a current list of what's commercially available or a history of whistles that have been made, or a combination? Maybe a fourth whistle page "Historical Whistles" could be added to reduce possible confusion.

Thanks for creating and maintaining such a great resource!
Steven

Post by Steven »

stiofan wrote:I would imagine that I'm not the only one to have an issue with this phrase ("the British Isles"), as this noticeably leaves out Ireland (you know, the "other" island...), which of course, isn't (and never should have been...) part of the British Isles. Sooo, my first suggestion is to rephrase this so Ireland isn't thought of as part of the UK. my $.02. for now anyway.
Actually, Dale's right. Ireland is part of the British Isles, which is simply a grouping of land masses. That doesn't in any way imply that it's part of Great Britain, which is a political and social entity.

:-)
Steven
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Steven wrote:
stiofan wrote:I would imagine that I'm not the only one to have an issue with this phrase ("the British Isles"), as this noticeably leaves out Ireland (you know, the "other" island...), which of course, isn't (and never should have been...) part of the British Isles. Sooo, my first suggestion is to rephrase this so Ireland isn't thought of as part of the UK. my $.02. for now anyway.
Actually, Dale's right. Ireland is part of the British Isles,
A lot of Irish find that terminology very offensive.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato