Opinions on putting an ALuminum whistle into your mouth

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lollycross
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Opinions on putting an ALuminum whistle into your mouth

Post by lollycross »

Hi,
I have been worrying about Aluminum and a Google search turned up
that it is a TOXIC metal. So why would we put it into our mouth?
Altheimers patients have high quanties of it in their systems.
We were told way back in the '80's that we should't cook with the stuff
even.
So why would whistle makers try to sell us aluminum mouthpieces?
Opinions?
Lolly
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

It's not all that toxic. If you cook a lot of food in aluminum pots, a moderate amount of the metal may leach into the food. The amount of time that an aluminum mouthpiece is actually in your mouth is pretty short, and I wouldn't really worry about it. If you have an aluminum whistle and really are worried about it, you could coat the mouthpiece with clear lacquer (nail polish) or some sort of tape.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm of the opinion that the aluminum/Alzheimers connection is highly over-touted.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

brewerpaul wrote:If you have an aluminum whistle and really are worried about it, you could coat the mouthpiece with clear lacquer (nail polish) or some sort of tape.
I'd be more worried about lacquer or nail polish in my mouth than aluminum... seriously, the amount you'd ingest from an aluminum whistle mouthpiece even over a long period of time would be harmless.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Well, I put an aluminum whistle in my mouth, and it killed me.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Onager

Post by Onager »

I'm of the opinion that it is completely unfounded. Please check out this link and let's hear no more about it.
http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question ... D7&catID=3

*puts aluminum whistle in mouth*

*gets hit by lightning*
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

O.K., I'll put some clear nail polish on it and forget about it.
My sweet hubby of 32 years was in a panic thinking he would
loose me to Altheimers!! :o
Thanks, Lolly
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Ogga Tay......Iga pupth thath uwhissthill inna ma mouf wiffa tha naiwl powish, ana now ma tounga falla offa.
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Well, I have it on my nails all the time and chew it off when I'm nervous
and I'm sure all these hairy whorts on my nose have nothing to do with it,
VommitBunny!
:lol: Lolly
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The original study that observed high concentrations of aluminum in Alzheimer's sufferers was withdrawn. Turned out the aluminum was in the stain that they had used to look at the slides in the microscope. I'm not too sure what's happened since, but I'm under the impression that they're assuming the link is weak if not nonexistent.

AFAIK, aluminum is only classified as poisonous in fine powder form. In that form it's explosive, too, BTW. I've used it in this form and neither died of aluminum poisoning nor blown myself up. Of course, huge amounts of it can kill you, but more people die from water poisoning every year (yes, there is such a thing, and many distance runners die of it every year) than die of aluminum poisoning. Vitamin A is another thing that poisons more people than aluminum.

In bulk form aluminum forms a very hard and somewhat impervious oxide layer. To add to what Paul said, if you cook with an aluminum pan at all, you're getting more aluminum from that (esp if you cook anything with a pH that's even a little basic or somewhat acidic) than you'll ever get from the beak of a whistle.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I've heard you won't get lead poisoning from contact with lead usually either. Breathing in the dust is the danger. I'm not 100% sure on that though. That reminds me, I saw an old Gen on Ebay the other day. It looked like pretty much the whole thing was brass. Didn't they have lead fipples in them?
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

vomitbunny wrote:I've heard you won't get lead poisoning from contact with lead usually either. Breathing in the dust is the danger. I'm not 100% sure on that though.
Breathing in the lead dust is one way to get lead poisoned; the most common, though, at least for kids (who are most at risk for lead poisoning) is by ingestion. Not just eating paint chips, though that does happen (supposedly lead paint tastes sweet) but more commonly by getting lead dust on their hands, from failing lead paint, and then putting their hands in their mouths. Lead-based paint, if it is intact, is NOT hazardous, it's when it fails and makes the dust that it is.

I don't know about the Gen's mouthpieces, though I wouldn't think that lead would make a good mouthpiece, as it's so soft. But if the mouthpiece is made of brass, then technically there's lead in it. But, again, it wouldn't be dangerous as long as the brass, and therefore the lead, remained intact.

Beth (State of Wisconsin certified Lead Hazard Investigator)
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Well, my opinion IS stupid and wrong....
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

lollycross wrote:Well, I have it on my nails all the time and chew it off when I'm nervous
and I'm sure all these hairy whorts on my nose have nothing to do with it,
VommitBunny!
:lol: Lolly
Whort? Whort did you say?
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

just kidding, VB, just kidding...at my age I don't need anything else....
lolly