What Whistle Sounds Similar (and As Good) as an O'Riordan?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Emrys
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

What Whistle Sounds Similar (and As Good) as an O'Riordan?

Post by Emrys »

Thanks for the answers about Joanie Madden's whistle choices. Very helpful! OK, so I've called up Pat O'Riordan and spoken with him about his whistles (and many other things -- what a charming man he is!)... but as you already know, there is very little chance of actually being able to buy one any time soon. Which brings me to the point... which other whistles (non-wood) have a similar tone (so sweet and clear!)?
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Well, you could scroll down the page, but here:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=19871
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

She did say non-wood, Blackhawk. Any other ideas?

Jef
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I've just been playing it off and on for a week or two, but I think this new Ronaldo Reyburn kind of approximates the O'Riordan sound.
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

Got a weblink for those Dale?
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Jeferson wrote:She did say non-wood, Blackhawk. Any other ideas?

Jef
I can't imagine a much better choice than Burke.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Blackhawk, has the sound changed from the older models? My brass Burke narrow bore, which is less breathy than the wide bore, doesn't sound or play like an O'Riordan. It's a fine whistle, but it's different.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

TonyHiggins wrote:Blackhawk, has the sound changed from the older models? My brass Burke narrow bore, which is less breathy than the wide bore, doesn't sound or play like an O'Riordan. It's a fine whistle, but it's different.
Tony
Tony, it's been too long since I played your O'Riordan, so maybe I'm off base here, but my Burkes (D, C & Bb) are very pure, like my Boisvert, and I remember when you played it, you said it sounded like an O'Riordan. Or maybe I'm hallucinating (kind of a nice break in the day, though).

--Plato
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

We have gone through a TON of different whistles. Mostly we have settled on wooden whistles for most of our playing. There are two whistles that that have continually made it through our personal filter: Alba D and Dixon D with brass tuning slide.

The Alba is not what you are looking for. It has a bit of air noise and chiff.

The Dixon on the other hand is pretty pure and sweet, at least to us. I am keeping it for my briefcase whistle.

I have not tried a Hoover Whitecap D, but my Bb and F are fairly nice too, if on the sensitive side.

If you contact Goldie (Overton) he can tune and adjust the whistle you want to whatever specs you choose.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

I'd have to chime in with the "Burke" answer. I played an aluminum O'Riordan C/D set for 10 years and now I play a narrow bore Burke aluminum Pro D. Apart from the Burke being quiter (due to the narrow bore), the sound is quite similar. Perhaps a non-narrow bore aluminum pro would do the trick.
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
glauber

Post by glauber »

DaleWisely wrote:I've just been playing it off and on for a week or two, but I think this new Ronaldo Reyburn kind of approximates the O'Riordan sound.
I just got an used Reyburn D/C set, type "LB" (= less breathy, i kid you not). Anyway, these can't be the new model, but they're pretty durn great whistles. I'm curious what changed and if the new model is even better.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Having owned and played a Burke whistle for several years, I can safely say that it played and sounded nothing like an O'Riordan to me. Not even close. I've played both the Concert 9wood) and the Traveller (aluminum) models that Pat makes and while Mike Burke's whistles are indeed wonderful to hear, they are completely different.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Brian Lee wrote:Having owned and played a Burke whistle for several years, I can safely say that it played and sounded nothing like an O'Riordan to me. Not even close. I've played both the Concert 9wood) and the Traveller (aluminum) models that Pat makes and while Mike Burke's whistles are indeed wonderful to hear, they are completely different.
I agree completely.
~JessieD
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

For what it is worth, I come down on the side of Jessie, Brian, and the rest. I own Burkes and O'Riordans. While the instruments are both fine players - precise and articulate - the sound is truly different.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

Admittedly, the O'Riordan d/c set I owned was from 1988 on. I actually purchased my set through Lark in the Morning. Although I don't have that set anymore, I have recordings of me playing that set. The O'Riordan set I had and the Burke I have now really do sound very similar. Perhaps, though, O'Riordans of 1988 or so were somewhat different instruments than their later counterparts. (Remember, also, that mine were aluminum with the polymer head joint; no wood.)