Interesting practice venue

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Interesting practice venue

Post by Chuck_Clark »

We all talk about practicing in parks, empty gyms, and other large empty spaces. There is an opposite to this that can be quite revealing, Do you have any small rooms (bathroom, large empty walk-in closet, entryway) that can be mostly closed and in which you can play? I find that practicing occasionally in places like this gives me a much better personal feedback on some things such as tone.

I'm not surre why, maybe just that these spaces return instant echoes and seem to magnify sound, but I find that I get a much quicker feel for what I'm doing right (and wrong) especially on slow pieces or those where I'm having trouble with a tricky note sequence.

Has anyone else seen this, or am I just going crazy (this is not a poll -- we are NOT voting here)?
anticDevices

Post by anticDevices »

I frequently practice in the bathroom, and definitely get excellent feedback. Of course, I'm practicing while my wife is in the tub. It's just one of the ways we steal a moment of togetherness.

The primary problem/complaint I find while playing in there are the really high notes - that tricky high B especially! Hitting it wrong is rough under any circumstances, but even hitting it right can cause problems as it bounces around the narrow room. A. bit. too. piercing. For this reason my wife prefers that I 'play' rather than 'practice'. Tunes I 'practice' involve many more mistakes. It is my favorite place to play slow airs though.
"Mensch werden ist eine Kunst" - Novalis
to become a human being is art
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

In case anyone want's to make themselves sound intentionally crappy, practicing under a ceiling fan helps.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I never really appreciated practicing in the bathroom till I got a Copeland low-D. I was initially underwhelmed by the sound, but in the can, the thing is just so rich. I do flute in the can sometimes to play before the mirror and get a little more feedback on the sound. But I'll never play a high whistle in there; it's a little too deafening.

Post by Guest »

On good rosin days I love to play fiddle in our very small bathroom.

:)
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Yeah, there's something about the acoustics in the bathroom that makes music sound good. (I'm sure someone know the physics of it).

That's why people sound better when they're singing in the shower!

Justine
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

No carpet, no furniture, nothing but walls.... (and the ceramic resonating chamber(s) don't hurt)

Bathrooms have the best acoustics in any house...
Kar

Post by Kar »

The kitchen where I live is accoustically blessed--my whistle playing in there sounds about 15 times better than anywhere else. Seriously. Unfortunately, I live with 5 other roommates, so I rarely get a chance to play in there.

Also, I was at the Getty museum and the bathrooms there were these high-ceilinged steel things. I HAD to try and no one else was in there, so I did Amazing Grace--and it WAS amazing. God, what a sound!

Afterwards, I played a little oustide while waiting for my Dad (who was in the men's bathroom) to come out and when he saw me with my whistle, he said, "Oh, that was YOU? I wondered where the music was coming from." So apparently the sound traveled more than I thought....
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

I have a glassed-in solarium room that has the acoustic properties of a bathroom but with a much more pleasant ambiance, AND unlike the bathroom it's big enough to fit a hammered dulcimer. It is the instrumental equivalent of singing in the shower. I play whistle in there pretty often.

Sarah
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

There's this 20+ ft tall hallway near my shop (in the same building) and it has great reverb acoustics. It's one of my favorite practicing places.

Also right outside my shop is a waterway that goes under the building, flows out of a waterchannel in the hillside and it is pleasant place to practice in the summer.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
DebbieM

Post by DebbieM »

Bathrooms are the best place for practicing. When I was in my high school band (30 years ago), that's the place our band director would send us when he wanted us to really hear every tone and pitch problem. When it was time for ensemble contests (duets, trios, etc.), we would actually book time for practice in the band room bathrooms to perfect our pieces for the contests -- we had practice rooms, but the bounce back from the tiled walls intensified what we heard. If it sounded good in the bathroom, it was ready for the judges.

Debbie
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

careful of your ears
Azathoth

There's always the basement...

Post by Azathoth »

My practice room is a basement room, and sorta soundproofed with eggbox contraptions.

Although it does not let the instruments one plays get very loud, I find it really good, because one hears the notes very clearly, all the mistakes, everything. The only side-effect is that tone *color* is a bit samey, since the sound is rather deadened by the small space. It's kind of an 'unplugged' feeling. (Although the person who rents it to me has got a massive Fender amp in there, no idea what would happen if I switched *that* monster on...)

I should record myself playing in there, for the real masochistic experience.

... and post it on Clips 'n' Snips!!
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

Stairwells have good acoustics too, especially if they contain several flights of stairs.
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

EricWingler wrote:Stairwells have good acoustics too, especially if they contain several flights of stairs.
My favorite practice venue!

I work in a 3-story building that has unusually high ceilings - two flights of stairs per level. Since the stairwells are enclosed, with fire doors on each floor, I can practice without bothering people who are trying to work. It's amazing how much more resonant a whistle sounds in a space like this.

My living room at home (medium sized, vaulted ceiling, hardwood floor) sounds pretty nice, too.