Do flute players prefer whistles with lots of back pressure?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Do flute players prefer whistles with lots of back pressure?

Post by Bretton »

I've been learning to play the flute for the past 3 or 4 months after playing whistle for about 4 years.

I'm quickly finding then after long periods of time working only with the flute that when I go back to the whistle I'm really looking for more back pressure than I used to like.

Do others who play flute as well as whistle find this to be true?

just curious...

:party:

-Brett
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana »

Yup. 'Haven't found a whistle with as much back pressure as I'd like. (Any recommendations?)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Syn.

--James
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

Brett, what kind of whistle do you play?
Brendan
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Brett, what kind of whistle do you play?
I've had quite a few whistles over the years but my current whistles are an Oak body with Retro-Fit Head and a complete PVC whistle, both made by Gary Humphrey. They're both great whistles and have more back pressure than any of the cheaper whistles.

I have a Goldie Overton Alto F whistle on its way to me next week. This will be my first Overton and I'm guessing it will give me some significant back pressure. :)

At one time I had a Grinter high D whistle with lot's of back pressure. I sold it because it was too much work to play, but I bet I'd like it now.

-Brett
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Flute players create their own back pressure with their embouchure, so that makes sense.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

hmmm, i've never played any of those whistles. i'm pretty well wedded to copelands (hi & low d, and c). my intuition is that copelands have very little back pressure. they're perhaps harder to play because of this, but the the benefit may be a little bit more range of playability and responsiiveness, although again this is intuition speaking not experience.

i'm weird tho in that i treat my flute like a bit fat whistle. it's a low d whistle that happens to me made outta wood and has a strange fipple.
Brendan
glauber

Post by glauber »

What is backpressure, anyway? I never got the concept. My favourite whistles are Water Weasel and Silkstone alloy. Do these have backpressure?
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Backpressure refers to when you are blowing air through the whistle, you feel a little bit of pressure or resistance. The opposite of back is that air blows freely through the whistle without any resistance at all.

It is good to have a certain amount of backpressure as it gives better control. Most whistles with backpressure usually have gradual spike shaped windways (there are exceptions though).
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

dhigbee wrote:Yup. 'Haven't found a whistle with as much back pressure as I'd like. (Any recommendations?)
Seery. Desi Seery refuses to make it an easier blow, as it is intended for flute players.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Backpressure refers to when you are blowing air through the whistle, you feel a little bit of pressure or resistance. The opposite of back is that air blows freely through the whistle without any resistance at all.
Then,if theres whistle with almost no backpressure,we are supposed to create our own on that whistle like the case on flutes as brewerpaul said?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

No, I just like good whistles, with or without.
A whistle is a whistle, a flute a flute.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I find the same to be true with me Brett. If I have been playing the flute for a time and I go and pick up the whistle, I almost have the tendency to over blow and have to really watch the wind. I play a Burke Pro Brass D and there is some back pressure but not enough to keep me from overblowing sometimes.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Or you could.... get an Overton! :party:

Chris