New LIVE Lunasa album - March 2!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

New LIVE Lunasa album - March 2!!!

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

:party:
Woo hoo!!!
Finally the lads from Lunasa have freed themselves from the clutches of Green Linnet and they are just about to release a new LIVE album!! I've been praying for a live album ever since their first CD and I'm darn glad they've finally gone and done it. Yee ha!
The official press release is below.
Chris

Lúnasa: The Kinnitty Sessions
Compass 4377

Available March 2nd, 2004!

Lúnasa’s self-titled 1996 debut album (Compass 4317) was considered by many to be a new chapter in the development of Irish music. By pinning traditional elements of composition and instrumentation to a fluid rhythmic undercurrent, Lúnasa achieved a new pinnacle of urgency and intricacy – sparking off unprecedented acclaim and notoriety in the process.

The Kinnitty Sessions, their fifth album, returns the band to that immediate style of recording. Cut before a live audience at Kinnitty Castle in Ireland, the recording blends the best elements of a studio recording with the energy and spontaneity of a live album. Building on the rock-solid rhythmic foundation of double-bassist Trevor Hutchinson (ex-Waterboys, Sharon Shannon Band) and guitarist Donogh Hennessy (Sharon Shannon Band), piper Cillian Vallely, flutist Kevin Crawford, and fiddler Sean Smyth ride the surging rhythms with impeccable grace – alternating blistering unison passages with episodes of deft counterpoint. Four years of constant touring has elevated the band’s already-formidable skill to peak brilliance, perfectly captured by the unique setting of The Kinnitty Sessions.

:
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: New LIVE Lunasa album - March 2!!!

Post by Bloomfield »

ChrisLaughlin wrote::paLúnasa’s self-titled 1996 debut album (Compass 4317) was considered by many to be a new chapter in the development of Irish music. By pinning traditional elements of composition and instrumentation to a fluid rhythmic undercurrent, Lúnasa achieved a new pinnacle of urgency and intricacy – sparking off unprecedented acclaim and notoriety in the process.
Mmmmh. Urgency certainly, but intricacy? ;)

Hope it will be good. I like their original live album best. The press release of course forgets to mention that it was J McSherry & M McGoldrick then.
/Bloomfield
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Whatever dude...
trisha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by trisha »

amar wrote:YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amar...your keys seem to be sticking... :)
amar

Post by amar »

trisha, lunasa, mike mcgoldrick and flook. my all time favorites!
can harddddddly wait forrrr that allllbummmm.........
:-)))))
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Lunasa is good music for cycling. So that means it's very healthy.
elendil

Post by elendil »

May I sound a note of caution? I saw Lunasa live this past summer in a somewhat outdoor venue--it was under a tent. It was a helluva lot of fun and all, but the sound was a bit rockish. The subtlety of their recordings was missing. That can work live, with the good cheer and dancing and all, but it would be a mistake to release it to the world on a disc. So, hopefully, the recording was done in a carefully selected environment.
elendil
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Enter "Lunasa" in the search box and listen to the second of their archived performances for an example of how they sounded live at the Kennedy Center. Elendil, I would be curious to hear from you if/how this performance is similar or different from the one you attended.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/ ... esults.cfm

Best wishes,
Jerry
amar

Post by amar »

jerry! what an incredibly good link! I've never seen lunasa live! thanks a lot for the link!!!
Amar. :o
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

Well, I didnt read the link above, but I would like to point out the acoustics of a tent versus a castle are quite different. The cloth (or most likely plasticy) material used for most tents while enclosing the sound, muddies it up bad (as me and a good friend of mine found out one night playing guitar and whistle) while the stone(?) walls of a castle and natural size of the areas will give us really good large sound (I am not a sound technition, just speaking laymen through experience) and give us a nice (tasteful? I hope) reverb to their sound.
TomB

Post by TomB »

For anyone interested, here is a link to a review in the Irish Echo.

http://www.irishecho.com/newspaper/story.cfm?id=14218

All the Best,

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I have tickets to see them on April 18th...! :)

Thanks for the link Tom!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar

Post by amar »

the lads have quite a fun forum going on at their page, check it out:
http://www.lunasa.ie/mb/
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Great link Jerry,
I love the piece at app. 28 minutes from the show last year with the bodhran and the whistle. Wow.