Beware the man with one whistle....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
vaulter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Beware the man with one whistle....

Post by vaulter »

So I was thinking of the old saying "Beware the man with one rifle....he likely knows how to use it."

Does anyone actually just have one whistle and play it exclusivley instead of getting a chronic case of Whoa?

I know the whistle is different than a lot of other instruments in that it is much easier to play a lot of tunes on different keys of whistles so that tends to lead people into having at least a range of keys in whistles if not duplicates in the same key.

The other issue is having different whistles for diff kinds of tunes some song may sound better with a pure whistle vs a chiffy one or vice versa and the volume issue is another.

Also I guess you could put in the argument for whsitles in diff materials for diff uses. You wouldn't really want to take your multi hundred dollar whistle on a rafting trip or your expensive wood whistle somewhere with drastic humidity issues.

BUT....is there something to just having one whistle that you like the sound of that plays well for you in a reasonably useful key and gaining the advantage of just learning the characteristics of that whistle?

I know if you just found one good whistle that you liked you would save a LOT of money and I think the skill level in playing where you were spending the majority of your whistle time in practicing and not searching the internet for your next purchase.

I guess what I'm asking is "Does anyone on here not have Whoa?"...if you don't is it maybe a natural imunity or do you take a lot of vitamin C or something? :)
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

So far so good on the Whoa factor for me. I've only been playing about 10 months and while I've bought a few whistles, it was just to see if I could find one I liked better than my Oak. So far I haven't found anything I like better and so I exclusively play the Oak (along with trying to play a Chieftan Low D I got as a present and making some rather poor attempts at playing flute). I may eventually buy more whistles to see if I can find one I like better than the Oak...but I'm pretty much in the "once I find something I like, I stick to it" camp.

I do have some whistles in other keys...a Generation high G (just for the amusement factor), the weird transverse flute with the fipple head that's in C, and of course the low D...and I'd like to get a Bb one of these days.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Aarrgg mateys, bewarrrr the man with one wooden whistle...he be Long John Fipple...don't tarn yer' back on 'im...he's immune to WHOA!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

emmline wrote:Aarrgg mateys, bewarrrr the man with one wooden whistle...he be Long John Fipple...don't tarn yer' back on 'im...he's immune to WHOA!
Don't believe a word of it! Take a closer look at his wooden leg, mate - it's got fingerholes! :poke:
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

I've got one whistle. And a case of WhOA. And no money.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

For me there are several factors involved, including my mood, how long I'll be playing and whether I'm playing along with music where the whistle or whistle part is in a particular key. I am partial to Copelands because of the popping upon crisp strikes of the tone holes that I think we finally agreed is called chiff and the resonance and fullness of tone. At the same time, though, I appreciate the consistency, pureness, fullness, and comfortable playability of a Burke. O'Riordans have an easy playability and a wonderful full uniquely beautiful tone.

As an example, for years, I thought I'd never play anything higher than a soprano D, but recently obtained a wonderful Eflat in order to play along with some tunes I'm working on and playing along to in that key.

Often for airs, I'll go down to low whistles; I have a strong personal preference for G (just do).

I'm playing this one straight (although my daughter's high school football team is the "peglegs."). I really don't think it matters beyond to each his own. Just because I'm sure there are at least 100,000 young children in Ireland and Scotland who play better (i.e., with that sometimes elusive feel or lilt) on one $5 soprano D whistle than I ever will, doesn't mean I can't have fun while I'm learning... :)

I was trying to explain that last part about Irish trad music to someone just now and she definitely didn't get it. You know the part about even (or sometimes especially) trained classical musicians having trouble getting the feel of the music on the whistle or flute because the music isn't t-squared in a box played as written exactly, etc. She didn't understand that phrasing goes beyond playing the notes the written duration.

Last night while on the way to my bd celebration, we were listening to some Sara McGloughlin (sorry for the spelling) on radio, and my daughter pointed out that what makes her like certain music are those emotional little riffs or runs of notes. Those seemingly simple little note groupings along with the phrasing of those groups of notes has been fascinating and fullfilling me for years in Irish and other music.

So, whether it's one or 20 whistles doesn't really matter, eh? Probably best one at a time, though (although I recall seeing Cathall McConnell play two at once at the Blarney Star some time ago).

Go Peglegs!

Best :)

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I was that way for nine years, with a single whistle, a Clarke original in C. Then I saw Margie Butler perform with her band Celtic Bough. On a whim I bought one of the Walton's brass D that they sold at the venue. Then I found this board, and a whole world that I never knew existed was unveiled. Again, I am glad that I play whistles instead of some expensive large instrument that requires a lot of maintenance.
+ Bill
dk_cameron

Post by dk_cameron »

antstastegood wrote:I've got one whistle. And a case of WhOA. And no money.

Exactly! :moreevil:
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I often feel embarassed to have mroe than one whistle, for all the better I play. If I were to go someplace to play with others, I'd take my Oak instead of my Burke.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I like having a drawerful of whistles, each one with a different sound and personality.

That said, for many years (and actually before I started Irish music at all) my only whistle was an old Clarke C that I bought in 9th grade at Old Washington Park.

I think with flute there is a stronger argument for playing one and sticking with just that one--not that I agree with this premise, I don't, but at least I think the argument is stronger than for whistle, where I think playing many different whistles stops your fingers and breath from getting "set" to just one and only one whistle.

--James
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

cool topic! let's see.. well ... ummmmmm......... yeah. :lol:

Actually, I play High D and Low D mostly, and since we have a man in the local hoolie on monday nights that plays small pipes, there are several tunes he plays that I can pull out my Low A and play along with much easier. Low G and F not so much, but they are usefull on occasion. Most session tunes are "D-able"

So I guess I do play different keys, but I am a bit biased on brand. Can't imagine why. :D Practice and play.

Although I do have the pleasure of owning one of Mack's fine Bb whistles he sent me and it's a lovely whistle I do play often around the house, but it's not a session whistle. Too quiet. Extremely lovely though. Beautiful tone.

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
Berti66

One whistle/ getting "set"

Post by Berti66 »

I think playing many different whistles stops your fingers and breath from getting "set" to just one and only one whistle.

--James[/quote]

Gosh how interesting.............that gives one a real legal excuse to own MORE whistles right? Legal case of WHOA? hmmmmm.........

I am also in the field of owning one (for the moment) playable whistle a gen Bb, afraid whoa got me too and indeed not enough money.....

berti
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Haven't purchased a whistle in over a year. But I HAVE purchased a guitar, and mandolin. I tend to play my Dixon high D, and my Cook Low D the most, though I pulled out my Susato high D last Monday at sesion when I couldn't hear myself play!

Took my Susato C and Bb with me on last week's youth retreat. Now thinking about harmonicas...
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Count me out. I've been playing 5 weeks and I have 15 I think. And one more on the way.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I packed my O'Riordan concert C/D set away and only play my Burke Brass D as my main and only whistle. Which I don't play that much anymore either since the flute I'm playing is getting better all the time.

Hmmm I might just go to the session tonight with just the flute and see how it goes.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.