Get the fipple off my whistle!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
I whistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Get the fipple off my whistle!

Post by I whistle »

I have been trying to remove the mouthpiece from my Generation C whistle. That sucker ain't budgin'. Any advice? I have tried soaking it in hot water over and over. I can't even make it turn slightly. Wanted to tweak it a bit to get the lower C to be a bit more solid. HELP! I even
(in desperation) took pliers wrapped in a towel and tried to move it...nothing. Has anyone else run into this?

Stephen :-?
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

How hot was the water?

For my Feadog, I used water from an electric hot water pot that's hot enough to make tea or drip coffee. I put it iinto a cup, waited about a minute to make sure it wasn't hot enough to melt the plastic, then submerged the entire mouthpiece and about a half-inch of the tube. After about 10 or 20 seconds, I tried it, and the mouthpiece slid off as if it were greased.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Norm

Get your Flipple off

Post by Norm »

Hi Steven,
I removed 3 fipples just a few days ago. All were done by heating hot water in a microwave, just before boiling, 1 1/2 minutes, then dropping the flipple end into the water to soak for 5 full minutes. Put on a oven mitten for the fipple hand and a rubber gripper (jar opener patch) for the metal part (this give you better purchase). Rotate in the direction of the metal fold (not against it), looking down from the top, rotate counter clockwise. pull as you rotate. Vinegar breaks down super glue, so maybe some of that into the water may help also. Thats the only "safe" way I know.
Cheers
Norm
They sit and chat and laugh n' giggle, then someone starts a lick on a whistle and it's "Katie bar the door!"
I whistle

Post by I whistle »

Darwin wrote:How hot was the water?

For my Feadog, I used water from an electric hot water pot that's hot enough to make tea or drip coffee. I put it iinto a cup, waited about a minute to make sure it wasn't hot enough to melt the plastic, then submerged the entire mouthpiece and about a half-inch of the tube. After about 10 or 20 seconds, I tried it, and the mouthpiece slid off as if it were greased.
Hey Darwin...
I did the same thing with 2 of my sweetones and my Oak. They came off without a hitch. This Generation seems to have been superglued on.
Norm wrote:Hi Steven,
Vinegar breaks down super glue, so maybe some of that into the water may help also. Thats the only "safe" way I know.
Hey Norm...
Very interesting... I'll give the vinegar a try!

Thanks to you both! :D
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

Generation C's are notoriously hard to remove the heads from. Which is why Jerry Freeman offers a tweeked Walton's C rather than a Generation - it was too much work for him to get the heads off a production lot of Generations.

I've heard of folks succeeding - but this is one of the reasons I bought Walton's and Oak C whistles instead.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

The only way I've ever gotten a fipple off a Gen C or Bb is with a hacksaw, which really puts a damper on how it sounds later.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Thom Larson at The Whistle Shop used to offer some of his whistles with the heads already loosened for tunability. He told me he was never able to remove the heads from more than about one out of five key of C Generations. I have never removed one successfully.

Best wishes,
Jerry
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

I got the top off a friend's gen C one time, by heating it in the sink with
the washing up, several days in a row. (head down in the plug-hole,
which is not large enough to swallow the whistle.) A lot of that soapy
water maybe loosened something. The third time, with kitchen gloves on,
I twisted it off. (But after that, my friend lost the head off the whistle..)
Lesl
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hmmm ...

I'll have to order a couple of C Generations and do some more experimenting. I have a crockpot that I've installed a dimmer switch to for infinite temperature control (originally so I could use it to make yogurt). Somehow, I think that crockpot will prove useful here. I'll keep you posted.

Best wishes,
Jerry
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I had a really hard time with my Oak once because I wasn't able to get a good enough grip, even with oven mitts and rubber jar openers. I took several rubber bands and wrapped them in series around the tube up near the mouthpiece, making a gripping surface wide enough for my hand. Then I heated it up the ususl way and the extra grip of the rubber bands (plus their insulating properties) allowed me to twist that sucker off. I didnt need rubber bands for the mouthpiece but I suppose you could put a couple on the lower end.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I haven't put it to use yet, but I bought a bicycle inner tube to cut into pieces for this purpose.

Best wishes,
Jerry
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Removing a Gen C head? My avatar illustrates the only successful method I've found...
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

Just a quick tip... not for fipple removal... but to get a louder or more stable bell note real quick, yet rather oddly, without affecting pitch or play... you can simply flare the end of your tube slightly. Carefully of course, but just a little does a lot :D

Anyway, something to throw into the mix.

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MERELY AN IDEA. WHILE TESTED ON NUMEROUS STUCK COMPUTER HARD DRIVES, IT IS ONLY A THEORY; INTENDED AS A SIMPLE PARADIGM SHIFT; IT HAS NOT BEEN TESTED ON A GENERATION C WHISTLE. HAD IT ACTUALLY BEEN TESTED ON A GENERATION C WHISTLE, THIS WOULD BE ACTUAL ADVICE INSTEAD OF SPURIOUS CONJECTURE.

What about putting it in the freezer for about 10 - 20 minutes? Since metal contracts in the cold and all ..... My ex used to do this with jammed-up computer hard drives, and it frequently worked.

I wouldn't recommend the pliers on frozen plastic fipples, though. :o
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
U2

Post by U2 »

I only have one Generation C, and it came out of a box full of whistles that were burned in fire bomb up the Shankill Road. It came cheap. I got the head loose by heating the head to expand it, and cooling the tube with dry ice to contract it. Popped loose straight away. I don't know if the shop fire affected that.

The C is merely okay, but an Eb from the same salvage box is one of those Generations that only rarely comes along. Nothing special about the look, but the pitch and tone are what makes some players buy a box to find the one.

steve