Semi-OT Computer sound malfunction- need help

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Semi-OT Computer sound malfunction- need help

Post by TonyHiggins »

All of my sound devices have quit playing mp3's. Any suggestions? I recently upgraded from Win98 to XP. Everything worked fine for a few weeks, now, big problem.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Sounds like the MP3 codec somehow got corrupted on your system.
Try a web search for "radium_mp3codec12.zip" and install that codec if you have no luck resolving the problem... that's the professional version of the Fraunhofer MP3 codec, which is far superior to the MP3 codec that is included with XP.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Will that codec overwrite the XP one or do I have to delete it prior to installing it?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
glauber

Post by glauber »

Maybe installing something that plays MP3s, like Winamp, would fix the problem too. Maybe Windows thinks that now that you have their fancy Media Player, you don't need MP3s anymore. :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I had a similar problem. I had to check each file type and tell it which program to use to play each type of file. Real player had changed my settings without notifying me. I hate programs that act on their own whim.

Ron
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Tony,

Have you tried "system restore"? Since the mp3s were working before you should be able to restore your system to a date when things were working.

Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Thanks for the help, guys. Still stuck. I can only restore the system back to 330pm today. I couldn't find the codec Gary recommended, but I downloaded lame 3.95. It resides in an unzipped folder. What do I do with it? I reinstalled realplayer first to see if that would save me. No go. Even goldwave won't play. All of them play a split second of sound and then stop. Real player plays an occasional chirp. Clips will be on hold until I get this sorted out. (Anyone planning on emailing me a file, please hold onto it until further notice.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I tried many of them or at least followed the leads until they hit a wall. (my head hit a wall) I did find a solution, by the way.

After several cumulative hours over about 3 days, I fasted for 72hrs, then went into a deep trance. Suddenly, a bright white beam of light came down from I believe it was the star, Betelgeuse, where my spirit guide resides. I then heard a voice in my head that asked a simple question:
"Have you tried restarting the computer?"
"No," I replied.
The beam went out and I sat there in total confusion. What kind of a question is that, I wondered. Then I had a brilliant insight- I decided to restart the computer.
Voila! Problem solved. I'm a genius.
Tony
(Except, now, my mouse won't work.)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Try this.
Find your install disk for your sound card.
Right click on "my computer". Select "properties". Highlight "sound video and game controllers". Click "Remove".

Then do one of two things. 1. Reboot the computer and follow the prompts to reinstall your sound card's software.

2. Put the CD in and reinstall before rebooting.

disclaimer: I am not responsible for you hosing your system.

Thanks
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Karma.

http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... accord.JPG

Yeah once in a while my soundcard goes crazy too but a restart always fixes it. I would have posted that but I swear even you should have thought of that.
No I'm not returning...
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

MurphyStout wrote:Karma.

http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... accord.JPG

Yeah once in a while my soundcard goes crazy too but a restart always fixes it. I would have posted that but I swear even you should have thought of that.
Boy, you sure know how to hold a grudge. Go back to playing your accordion, maybe you'll get a spot on Lawrence Welk.

And you didn't post the suggestion because you didn't think of it. It takes genius, like I said.
Tony