Sterling Silver?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sterling Silver?

Post by jonharl »

Is Sterling Sliver as slippery as Nickle? How does sterling compare to nickle and to brass, sound wise. Who makes sterling silver whistles?
I'm just doing some personal research. Thanks for your answers.
Jon
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Here's a site with some beautiful hand-crafted sterling silver whistles.

http://www.tullberg.com/tully/

Lawrence
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
slowair
antispam: No

Post by slowair »

I've never played one so I don't know what the difference is in sound or whether they are as slippery as nickle.

I do know that John Sindt makes a sterling silver D though.

Someday.

Mike
dDave

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

Copeland makes sterling whistles. I suppose that if there was a big problem with slipping (beyond, say what exists with nickle) that it wouldn't be used for whistles (or boheme flutes beyond that).

I'm currently tinkering with the idea of a Whitecap head on 1/2" sterling tube. You can
<a href=http://www.sfjssantafe.com/SmetalsItems ... 18480">buy the sterling stock here</a>. It may be a bit thin (23/24 gauge), but I can't find thicker.

I'm also looking into titanium tubes just for the fun of it.

Best,

Dave
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I know of Copeland and Tully sterling whistles. I have a Tully and never had a problem with "slipping." Then again, I never had a problem with slipping on nickel either. I'm thinking that generally what the whistle is made of is the least of or one of the lesser variables effecting tone.

Regards,

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi! You can find all kinds of interesting tubing including sterling silver here http://www.hooverandstrong.com/mill/seamlesstubing.htm They have an 18K green gold available in sheet form there. I talked to Michael Copeland once about naking a whistle from it. He'd have to roll the tube but he said it wouldn't be a problem. Trouble is coming up with the money for the material. :boggle: It's really expensive.

-Paul
dDave

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

The problem with Hoover and Strong is that they only have up to 3/8" in diameter on their chart. Both Rio Grande and Santa Fe have 1/2". I have yet to find a source for gold tubing, but sheet stock is readily available for those who like to roll their own (so to speak).

Best,

Dave
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I play a sterling silver boehm flute and have no slippage problems. It seems to be the same as my nickel-plated flute in that regard.

Doc
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I havent seen anyone make this yet but Nickel or Sterling could be made non-slippery if the tone hole area had some engraved cross-hatching to preserve friction.

Bad thing about Nickel is some people are allergic to it.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Bad thing about Nickel is some people are allergic to it.
I'm allergic to sterling; it's not that unusual. I'm not violently allergic, but can't wear earrings made out of it. I don't have any problem playing an Abell whistle, though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.