FOR WHAT ITS WORTH

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jking
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

FOR WHAT ITS WORTH

Post by jking »

I felt it valuable to share this with other members on this board. Recently a co-worker approached me saying her nephew had just taken up the whistle and did i have any information on it that would be of use to him. Now im not a regular poster here but i do read the odd review to see whats new in the world of whistles or to trade them etc. I must say that its been a little while since ive sat down and just read threads. Anyhow I recommended the whistle board to her in an instant and she said she would pass it on to him. I asked her today if he ever had any luck with the board and to summarize this is what i was told. "Being only 11 years old his mum kind of checks the sites,chatrooms and msg boards that he goes to. After reading through the threads his mum determined that she didnt really want him getting involved in some of the banter that goes on and the swearing (ex words disguised like:f...ing etc i mean come on kids arent dumb, might as well just say the word.) was not acceptable to her as a parent". Needless to say she would not let him get involved.
Definately something to think about.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Well, also for what it's worth, this board isn't really aimed towards young children. I think the youngest people who really come here on a regular basis are high school-aged at which point they're more than aware of the fact that words like f--- exist, and I guarantee you that 11 year old already does too, whether or not his mother wants to believe he's still completely innocent or not. But then, parents are weird. Heck, I'm 19 and my dad was mystified last summer that I knew what a fetish was. Claimed I "wasn't even supposed to know that word." Go figure...

I do support her descision to keep her son off this board if she wants to, and in fact it does my heart well to know that there are still some parents out there who are actually parents instead of asking the media to raise their children for them.

In the same vein, I also firmly believe that it is not the media's (or chiff and fipple's) duty to raise anybody's child for them.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

Whether this board is appropriate for children or not, there is really no reason to use profanity. There are plenty of words in the English language to express oneself without resorting to gutter language.
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician
Ridseard

Re: FOR WHAT ITS WORTH

Post by Ridseard »

Maybe the mom would let the lad use GC. That site has always seemed squeaky clean to me, but of course I don't go out of my way to look for f____ words and such, so maybe they're there and I just don't notice them.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Ridseard, I've missed you; and here we have
a whistling mathematician, too!
Jack

Post by Jack »

GC recently got polluted.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Cran, drop it. Seriously.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

TelegramSam wrote: Heck, I'm 19 and my dad was mystified last summer that I knew what a fetish was. Claimed I "wasn't even supposed to know that word." Go figure...
Well here's a theory. He didn't mind that you knew what a fetish is. He just didn't want you to go around talking about them. :wink:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Wombat wrote:
TelegramSam wrote: Heck, I'm 19 and my dad was mystified last summer that I knew what a fetish was. Claimed I "wasn't even supposed to know that word." Go figure...
Well here's a theory. He didn't mind that you knew what a fetish is. He just didn't want you to go around talking about them. :wink:
What's wrong with talking about fetishes? I have one on my Native American Flute...it's a rather nice turtle, actually.

When I get the NAF out for a twootle, I find that once friends have finished talking about the wonderful tone of the instrument, they all wanna talk about the fetish... Go figure... :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

GaryKelly wrote:
Wombat wrote:
What's wrong with talking about fetishes? I have one on my Native American Flute...it's a rather nice turtle, actually.

When I get the NAF out for a twootle, I find that once friends have finished talking about the wonderful tone of the instrument, they all wanna talk about the fetish... Go figure... :)
And these friends include your dad Gary? Very interesting. :P
Jack

Post by Jack »

TelegramSam wrote:Cran, drop it. Seriously.
I'm not the one who's polluting GC right now. I'm not the person you should be asking to stop it. I haven't ran up GaelicCrossings with a bunch of ******(fill in the blank) posts, with all due respect. :)
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Fine, Cran. Do whatever you want.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I don't think he'd object, but though he's always been a keen fan of 'The Duke's" movies, I don't think he'd know a NAF if he saw one, and wouldn't know about the fetish and its function/significance.

Without the fetish, the NAF is a bit like a whistle without a fipple...it just don't work.

Main Entry: fe·tish
Variant(s): also fe·tich /'fe-tish also 'fE-/
Function: noun
Etymology: French & Portuguese; French fétiche, from Portuguese feitiço, from feitiço artificial, false, from Latin facticius factitious
Date: 1613
1 a : an object (as a small stone carving of an animal) believed to have magical power to protect or aid its owner; broadly : a material object regarded with superstitious or extravagant trust or reverence b : an object of irrational reverence or obsessive devotion.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Jack

Post by Jack »

Do whatever I want? I'm not doing anything at GC. I haven't even posted there in months. I just read.
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I've noticed very little on this board that would pass for PG-13. Most of it is G or PG. If a kid is allowed to watch network television between 8 and 9 p.m., they've seen and heard worse language and innuendo than what I've seen on this board. I'd have no problem with my 14 year old reading and posting to this board.

That being said, I do think most of the O.T. discussions here are intellectually over the head of the average 11 year old. We're nearly all adults and we post for each other as such. I'm not sure I'd want the board scaled back to a level acceptable for 11 year olds.

As far as swearing goes, I really haven't seen that here, either. Maybe I'm oblivious to it from 20 years in the printing industry. I post to a couple of other boards that have swear-bots, and I think having the 'bot only encourages people to swear. Then once you decipher the code, it's just as offensive as if they didn't have the 'bot. It is kind of funny when the 'bot does something unintentional, though. Like whenever someone types "association" on one of the boards, it comes out "friendociation". The other board puts in the names of famous poets in place of certain words. While some might consider drawing these parallels complimentary, you definitely don't want to be called a Carroll, Coleridge, Emerson or Nash over there!
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!