I'm so proud! OT

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

I'm so proud! OT

Post by brewerpaul »

My wife Charlene will be celebrating her Bat Mitzvah tomorrow. I'm so proud of her that I just had to share it. This is a group event for 11 women, and Char is doing a pretty important part ( second half of the Haftorah and the following blessings, for those familiar with the service).
Char converted to Judaism only about 2 years ago, and 4 years ago had never even seen Hebrew in print. She has learned SO much in that time.
If anyone would care to send her a congrats, her e-mail is VDodili@aol.com (that name is part of a quote from Song of Songs-- "I am my beloved's , and my beloved is mine). She's be thrilled to get it. Just be sure to put something identifying in the subject line as she is an avid deSPAMmer !
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

Mazel Tov!
Mike
cj

Post by cj »

That's wonderful!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Congatulations to you and Charlene. :)

We are going to do Hanukah (I prefer this spelling but am aware of the other one) candles this year. Dan comes from a Catholic background (we have a Christmas tree up) and wants to explore my background, too. It's interesting how being with the right person makes all sorts of things come into light that were dormant for years.
~JessieD
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

JessieK wrote:Congatulations to you and Charlene. :)

It's interesting how being with the right person makes all sorts of things come into light that were dormant for years.
Amazing might be a better word. I was with the wrong person for many years, and a lot of me died inside, or at least went to sleep. Now, it's all waking up :D
chas

Post by chas »

When is Hanukah this year? We often light candles -- no Jewish background, but it's fun and pretty. Between a Christmas tree, menorahs, a happy Buddha, and a few Melanesian totems, we have several bases covered.

Congratulations to Char and to you, Paul.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

JessieK wrote: It's interesting how being with the right person makes all sorts of things come into light that were dormant for years.
That was really beautiful, Jessie. I got one of those "moments" when I read it... you know those Hallmark commercial moments, when you tear up and your heart melts? :) I'm such a softie.

Congratulations to Charlene, Paul. It's a wonderful thing when one finds the path on which they belong! May she always find comfort, peace, and much growth in her beliefs!!

Blessings,
Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

brewerpaul wrote:Amazing might be a better word. I was with the wrong person for many years, and a lot of me died inside, or at least went to sleep. Now, it's all waking up :D
Me, too!

I'm glad to have inspired you, Andrea.

:)
~JessieD
Jack

Post by Jack »

Congratulations. :)
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Wonderful! All of you!

M

PS--I kind of wish I had my head together more--or were doing it for the right reasons--when I was baptized in the Southern Baptist church in my early teens. I think an old-fashioned river baptism like in O Brother would have really hit home. But I've lost my chance--once you've been dunked, that's it for life and you don't get a do-over!

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

mvhplank wrote:... But I've lost my chance--once you've been dunked, that's it for life and you don't get a do-over! M
Oh, I don't know... I think G_D might find it quite a smile bringer... LOL!

After all... who is the Baptism for? You and G_D, right? Not the church, though I know many who would argue otherwise.

If you feel the right motivation, and that it would be right for you do... go for it!!

This, from someone who wanted that at 9 and has very different ideas now... LOL!

Love is the spirit of G_D.

Peace,
annie
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: I'm so proud! OT

Post by anniemcu »

brewerpaul wrote:My wife Charlene will be celebrating her Bat Mitzvah tomorrow.
How wonderful! Her joy and fulfillment will add to the world's light!

'Tis the Seaon for light, after all...

Image Shalom © 1997 S.A.McUmber-House - Sassafrass Grove Studio
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

mvhplank wrote:Wonderful! All of you!

M

PS-- I think an old-fashioned river baptism like in O Brother would have really hit home. But I've lost my chance--once you've been dunked, that's it for life and you don't get a do-over!
M
I'd say go for it anyway!
Before a Jewish man and woman marry, it is traditional for them to go to the Mikveh, or ritual bath to symbolically purify themselves before the ceremony. Char went to the official Mikveh in Albany, but I didn't. I was out walking on Peebles Island which is located right where the Mohawk River empties into the Hudson. It was a warm, late June day, about two days before our wedding. I had planned to go to the Mikveh ( which is not something I would normally do, but the wedding was a special case) but as I looked at the river at this place I dearly love, I figured that doing it myself there would be more appropriate. I ducked out of site of curious eyes since you are supposed to do this as nekkid as you came into the world. Went into the water in my skivvies, then shed them and totally immersed myself. It was a beautifully renewing experience. I would recommend it for anyone, anytime they feel the need for purification.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

brewerpaul wrote: I'd say go for it anyway!
... Went into the water in my skivvies, then shed them and totally immersed myself. It was a beautifully renewing experience. I would recommend it for anyone, anytime they feel the need for purification.
And here I am with a creek right in front of the house! I haven't been in it for years, but I'll have to battle back the poison ivy in the spring and go for it!

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Fopah

Post by Fopah »

A little off topic, but i noticed in Annie's post, God was G_D, does this forum edit His name, or is it just annie?
"There's nothing but our own red blood
Can make a right Rose Tree.'"
-Yeats