About Clare whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
theotherleadingbrand
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

About Clare whistles

Post by theotherleadingbrand »

I started playing whistles about 8 or so months ago, and have ordered a whole whack of them to see what I would like. Of all the ones that I've tried, (all pretty cheap) I'm finding I favour the 2pc brass in "d" from Clare. I wanted to get the one piece but it wasn't available at the whistle shop when I placed my order so they substituted. It seems to have a nice balance between the octaves and a well rounded tone, and although I favour it above the others here are some things I've noticed:
The joint no longer wants to hold together. I've even tried wax and plumber's putty, :-? (I'm an idiot) but no dice.
On the two piece, as well as the nickel "d" I own, there is a noticeable tab on the first hole from the fipple. It looks like it may be a bit of flashing from some factory type process, but maybe it is there on purpose for some reason. Can anyone else tell me if they have the same thing?
When I get to the top of its range, the whistle goes from well balanced tone to pissed-off eagle tone, possibly related to the aforementioned tab deal.
Any thoughts on Clare whistles would be enlightening so don't hesitate to share them. Also, does anyone know if Clare makes whistles in other keys or styles?
I changed my mind. Then I found out the new one was smaller and weaker.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I have a Clare 2 piece myself. Mine does not have flashing on the first tone hole - I'd try to gently remove it myself. I had to dull the blade of the fipple a bit on mine, and that really helped the upper octave.

However, tonight I put a Hoover whitecap on it which Mack made for me, and all I can say is WOW :o what a super, duper whistle now. It went from my favorite whistle to one of the best whistle I've ever played.

If you've got the $20, it's worth it.

Back to the flashing - if you can't get it off, I'd try contacting the Whistle Shop about trading it for one without that. Oh, and the body parts should be holding together fine - could they have gotten bent or something? I've had mine for about 6 months, take it apart religiously (i.e. - up to several times per day), and it still fits together perfectly.

I don't think the clare's come in any keys other than D and the only styles are one or two piece models.

Eric
bearbro

Post by bearbro »

Hello, I'm new to whistles. Can you tell me what is a Hoover whitecap?
the bear said that
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I have a clare 2 piece, it stays together pretty well. Pity it's unplayable unless I put the top from my Generation on it instead of the yicky (sounding and looking) green one.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

The whitecap is a mouthpiece made by Mack Hoover:

http://home.bresnan.net/~mackhoover/ordering.htm

Can anyone tell me about the "mouth-feel" of the Whitecap? I hate the way a generation or clare head feels in the mouth....too slippery or something. Maybe it's from all those years sucking on a saxophone reed!

Robin
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The whitecap is made much more substantial feeling than a generation fipple. That's about the best way I can describe it. It just feels a little thicker and short compared the the long beaked generation.

Does that help any?

Eric
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

What the whitecap 'feel' most resembles is a Hoover C-PVC whistle (gee, imagine that!). But it's also much like the feel of a Water Weasel.

One thing I really love about a whitecap ona metal tube (in my case and Acorn) is that its just enough heavier than the production molded mouthpiece that it seems to seat more solidly on the lip and feels more stable when playing.