Army funeral song?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Army funeral song?

Post by Jack »

You know that song played on bugle or some sort of wind instrument at funerals, usually army funerals, that starts with D D G*? What's it called so I can look for sheet music?

I hear it on tv a lot and I want to learn to play it. I dispise military force (a.k.a. murder) but I think the tune is really pretty.

*That's just what I've been able to work out by ear, I could very well be wrong.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Cran,

I believe you are referring to the tune "Taps," which is indeed played at military funerals, usually on a bugle or trumpet.

There is a page with information about the tune here:

http://www.west-point.org/taps/Taps.html

As for music to the tune, JC's has several versions, some with words:

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/fin ... e%29&L=100

Best wishes,

--James
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Army funeral song?

Post by Bloomfield »

Isn't it called taps? It's built on the overton series of brass instruments (a bugle in this case). You should just pick all of it out by ear.

Cranberry wrote:I dispise military force (a.k.a. murder) but I think the tune is really pretty.
I think that remark of yours is a gratuitous dig that everyone could do without.
/Bloomfield
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Especially on veteran's day (here in the U.S.) while many of our murderers are being murdered each day! I think maybe I'll go hug my murderer upstairs. Maybe I'll mention that there's this guy on the internet who repeatedly tries to make sure that everyone believes what he is doing is right because there is no right or wrong, but thinks that it's ok to call other people names and wrong to be a soldier.

I know that you're going through a hard time in life, Cran, and I respect you for your openness, but hypocrisy is unbecoming.
Last edited by ErikT on Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
WhistlingGypsy

Re: Army funeral song?

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Cranberry wrote:I dispise military force (a.k.a. murder) but I think the tune is really pretty.
Without the military you would not have the freedoms you have today.....Here in Canada, today is Rememberance Day and we are honouring the brave men and women that died so we could have what we have today. Your comments are totally inappropriate.
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Yep, that's it. Thanks. :)

Quote @ Bloomfield
I think that remark of yours is a gratuitous dig that everyone could do without.
I don't care.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Cranberry wrote:I don't care.
That is far too clear. I'm very sorry to hear that after so many people here have cared for you.
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

ErikT wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I don't care.
That is far too clear. I'm very sorry to hear that after so many people here have cared for you.
True colours come out sooner or later......sad!
Cheers Image
Gerry
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Other than "chow call" (can't remember the proper name, it starts like "soupy, soupy, soupy, soup without any beans") taps was my favorite bugle call too, because it meant "time to hit the sack" and I could get a few hours nappy time, unless the sergeant was teed off....

I am giving thanks today for the people willing to give their lives for our freedoms we enjoy today, even the freedom for Cranberry to have the right despise them and their deeds.

God bless my youngest son who is risking his life now to protect me and Cranberry (assuming Cranberry is a citizen of the U.S.A.).
Jack

Post by Jack »

I am a citizen of Mars.

;-)

*does the Martian dance*
Last edited by Jack on Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

While I've made it clear that I have no love for our current regime nor agreement with the Bush/Cheney Oil War, I think that to disrespect the brave and loyal young men and women who risk all to guarantee our security, on this of all days, is way out of bounds.

What is expecially ironic is that Cranberry resides in the state that has provided the greatest number of soldiers to our armies in proportion to its population.

Despising all war or a specific war seems to me to be reasonable and proper and very American, but criticize the profiteering chicken hawks that sent the troops in harm's way, not the soldiers who are just doing their rather critical job.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I don't understand. You cry Peace and yet aren't willing to seek it here. Peace is more than just the lack of killing.

As for true colors, I won't judge Cran too harshly. I can't say that I don't have contradictions in my own life and my own struggles. Let's let it rest... I think that the censure is obvious (censure /= sensorship) and any more could just get mean.

Erik
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

Here we go again....

I am not going to even get started. Others will make my point for me if they wish. :roll:
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Cranberry wrote: I'm out of this before it gets bogged down.
The least you could do is to apologize to the people you have hurt by your horrible remarks ~ but I guess that would be asking too much..... :(
Cheers Image
Gerry
don

Post by don »

Please note, everyone

It's easy when you're young to know you're right.

It's only as we get older, and have the knocks and shocks of living that we begin to appreciate people who follow a different star.

Whether we think the latest war is a our government run amok, or is protecting ourselves from terrorists, the men and women who are in the military have no choice but to go where sent in the service of our government.

They put life on the line - for not near enough money, under conditions that are range from ok to horrible, with no thought to their families.

For those things they deserve respect, consideration, and the thanks from a people they serve.

So thanks to all the Veterans - we may not always agreee - but you're the greatest.