O'Riordan whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dgardner

O'Riordan whistles

Post by dgardner »

does anyone have experience in regards to the difference in 1) sound and 2) playability of O'Riordan high D/C ?
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Difference with regards to what?
Tak_the_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

i wish i did...
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

if you don't allready know, i'm sorry, mr.o'riordan is taking no more order right now.here's some sound samples anyway http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/index.htm
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

colomon wrote:Difference with regards to what?
yeah...what he said. What are we comparing the O'Riordan to?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Rhetorical question. Let's try and structure the answer.

The difference between an O'Riordan is that:

1) they sound exactly the same

2) especially the C

3) except its playability is playwoodable in D

Q.E.D.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Perhaps we're comparing the D with the C. Well, I pass since I haven't played either.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Please send me a O'Riordan D/C set, and I promise to get the necessary experience with it to compare it to anything. :D
riasgt

Post by riasgt »

I have the privilege of owning a C & D whistle by Mr. O'Riordan with a whistle and a fife/flute head, and the only difference is in pitch. They both play with a minimum if air and sound as sweet as one could possibly hope for, (no bias here :D ).
-David
"I'll be right back" -Godot
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My teacher has a C/D set and both keys sound the same, except for the whole step difference of course.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I disagree -- at least on my Travellers, the C is a bit sweeter, more mellow, and more responsive than the D. It's not a huge difference, but it's there. And I know I'm not the only one to think this -- Loretto Reid swears by the Traveller C, but doesn't like the Traveller D's responsiveness, prefering to play a Generation body with an O'Riordan head as her main D whistle.

On my whistles, the other difference is that I've worn the black off of everyplace my fingers touch the D tube, while the C tube is pristine. It doesn't get played nearly as often as it deserves to be.