Latest eBay sucker bait

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Latest eBay sucker bait

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Here you go folks, don't let this one get away.

Its a Genu-wine VINTAGE Sweetone pennywhistle!!!!!! Only ten bucks to start.

Lessee... vintage? That'd make it... what... SIX (6) years old????
TXwhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I moved, so I'm in a different city. Not in Texas anymore!!! Although if someone sees that I'm in NYC, maybe they'll know of local places that I can look for whistles.

Post by TXwhistle »

Rust means vintage? I'm going to leave my Sweetone outside and sell it for $20 in a couple of months!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Vintage... off what vine?
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Walden wrote:Vintage... off what vine?
...Sour grapes. I'm betting that Chuck doesn't have a tastefully oxidized Sweetone to sell to us at a collector's premium. :P
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

It's one of those ways in which one has to know the ebay jargon. Vintage seems to mean a recent example of something that's been around for awhile. If it really is old they'll call it antique.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Hm. If I knew it was authentic, geniune, AND vintage, I might bite.

Dale
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

DaleWisely wrote:Hm. If I knew it was authentic, geniune, AND vintage, I might bite.

Dale
Don't bite Dale. Nanohedron is only partly right. I may not currently have a such a vintage Sweetone, but for eight bucks I'll be glad to vintage one of the mundane ones that I do have. Heck, for only nine bucks, I'll vintage the blue Sweetone C that got sat on and has a sort of wrinkle partway down the tube. Then you'd have a vintage instrument with character
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

If you stick a copper or brass whistle in a manure pile for a few months it will be authentic antique vintage with patina. :) ...and have character too.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Celtoid wrote:If you stick a copper or brass whistle in a manure pile for a few months it will be authentic antique vintage with patina. :) ...and have character too.
Say what you want but no wonder some whistles stink.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Chuck_Clark wrote:...but for eight bucks I'll be glad to vintage one of the mundane ones that I do have. Heck, for only nine bucks, I'll vintage the blue Sweetone C...
How could you. :really:
LittleMy

Post by LittleMy »

Celtoid wrote:If you stick a copper or brass whistle in a manure pile for a few months it will be authentic antique vintage with patina. :) ...and have character too.
I know someone who named her daughter "Patina." No, really. Wonder how much she'd go for on ebay?
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

It isn't just eBay. The geniuses in marketing at Fender Musical Instruments came up with a clever idea a few years ago. Basically, what they do is take a "re-issue" guitar (re-issue guitars are another silly idea, but that's another story) then they have the "custom shop" turn it into a "relic." They let some of the metal parts corrode, beat, gouge, and fade the body, apply cigarette burns to the headstock, etc. Then they sell this "Fender Relic" for $2500 instead of the $900 the basic reissue guitar would sell for (and even that's an inflated price, IMHO).

P.T. Barnum was right, I guess... :boggle:

John
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

A practice during the "antiquing" craze in the U.S. (not only do I remember it, I even aided and abetted my mom on a project or two...good thing I was a minor and exempt from prosecution) was to take a length of chain and do the obvious thing with it.

*eyes the unused Moon cittern in the corner*
momerath

Post by momerath »

LittleMy wrote:
I know someone who named her daughter "Patina." No, really. Wonder how much she'd go for on ebay?
Depends. Was she a funky gold Patina?
LittleMy

Post by LittleMy »

momerath wrote:
LittleMy wrote:
Depends. Was she a funky gold Patina?
Groooaaan. Hee hee.