Anybody who has even been accused of Nitpicking

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarkB

Anybody who has even been accused of Nitpicking

Post by MarkB »

Finally a website for the nitpickers of the world, where you can keep track and score of a zillion things in the world. :D

http://www.nitpickers.com/

Who are you and what is your favourite subject/person/thing to nitpick about? :boggle:

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
madguy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by madguy »

The misuse of the English language, especially by "supposedly" college educated people.
I "brang" this with me???!!!

~Larry
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

The definition on the nitpick page is "A nitpick is a mistake, anomoly, or a small detail in a movie." Here are two from my boyhood-both from cowboy movies. In one a letter was to be sent via stagecoach. There was a closeup of the letter and it had a current stamp on it. In another, a bunch of "indians" were hiding behind a small hill waiting for the cowboys, I guess. They raised their heads up to look over the hill. You could see the upper part of theri arms were bare and you could clearly see the vaccination marks on them.

Steve
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I *****HATE***** the use of the word 'task' as a verb. Other bizspeak is almost as bad, but that one makes me see red!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Re: the "verbing" of the language: Impact. Besides a noun, it is an adjective (impacted). When did it become a transitive verb? Whenever I hear or read about impacting such-and-so, I envision a collision or its outcome. But, as has been said before, usage ultimately determines meaning.

*rant rant rant*
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I think I may fall into this catagory.

Anytime I watch a movie, if something is really wrong, particularly historically, I just can't really really like it......(Braveheart) :sniffle:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Newcular. That just about sums it up.

Robin
zoie

Post by zoie »

Double negatives. My brain goes through the old - X - = +.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Nit picking is *always* appropriate so long as one always conforms to the law of diminishing fleas. In other words, it is always appropriate up to the point where further scratching will do more damage to the flea carrier than to the fleas.

Oh BTW, my particular peeve is subtle mixed metaphors. :P
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Nanohedron wrote:Re: the "verbing" of the language: Impact. Besides a noun, it is an adjective (impacted). When did it become a transitive verb? Whenever I hear or read about impacting such-and-so, I envision a collision or its outcome. But, as has been said before, usage ultimately determines meaning.

*rant rant rant*

OHHHHH IT MAKES ME ANGRY.

How about "journaling".

"Hi what are you writing?"
"I'm journaling."

SOB. I'm angering at the thought.
In a second I'm coffeeing.

But I notice that people don't get too upset about Microwaving.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
rbm

Post by rbm »

Wombat wrote:Nit picking is *always* appropriate so long as one always conforms to the law of diminishing fleas. In other words, it is always appropriate up to the point where further scratching will do more damage to the flea carrier than to the fleas.

:wink: I always thought it was to do with lice! when I was small we used to have a nit-nurse come and inspect our heads at school for nits the lice eggs.

edit - thinking on up here in the north she was known as a biddylady, so if she was auburn, whould that make her a redbiddy?
Last edited by rbm on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It's at times like this I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
"Why? what did she say?"
"Don't know - I didn't listen!"
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I don't know if this is really a nitpick, but it grates & chafes when people ask for help without giving enough detail of the scenario, item, whatever.

Like: I have a violin, is it valuable?

Or: I want to start playing whistle, what do you suggest?

It takes all my powers of selfcontrol (which as some here can attest are not overly good) not to wind them up with a useless and potentailly dangerous answer.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

rbm wrote:
I always thought it was to do with lice! when I was small we used to have a nit-nurse come and inspect our heads at school for nits the lice eggs.
Indeed!
From Websters:

Main Entry: 1nit
Pronunciation: 'nit
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English nite, from Old English hnitu; akin to Old High German hniz nit, Greek konid-, konis
Date: before 12th century
: the egg of a louse or other parasitic insect; also : the insect itself when young

Thus the picking of nits; focussing on minute but irritating details :-)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

rbm wrote:
Wombat wrote:Nit picking is *always* appropriate so long as one always conforms to the law of diminishing fleas. In other words, it is always appropriate up to the point where further scratching will do more damage to the flea carrier than to the fleas.

I always thought it was to do with lice! when I was small we used to have a nit-nurse come and inspect our heads at school for nits the lice eggs.
Correct, hence the remark about mixed metaphors. But seriously, the point of the principle of diminishing fleas applies to metaphorical nitpicking, even if it doesn't apply to real nitpicking.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

cowtime wrote:I think I may fall into this catagory.

Anytime I watch a movie, if something is really wrong, particularly historically, I just can't really really like it......(Braveheart) :sniffle:
"There's a twister coming, at least an F-4." (Twister)

Wrong on at least two points:

1. This incident in the movie happened in 1968. The Fujita scale didn't come into effect until 1971.

2. The Fujita scale is used to rate tornado intensity by its damage, and therefore is applied after the fact.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo