OT Major career decision

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

OT Major career decision

Post by Flyingcursor »

Thank you, thank you. And now for my second OT topic of the day.

The giant evil empire has placed it's death grip on our community, hacking away employees left and right in an effort to insure the quality of it's executive paychecks. I won't name names until my severance package is in my bank account. I am one of the severed.

However this is not all bad. For several years I have contemplated a career change. Specifically, Paramedic school.

For many moons now I've realized that, with the exception of learning the whistle, I have stagnated. I used to be exceptionally creative. I was an artist, loved to write games on the computer and write game scenarios, short stories and poetry and Flash movies. I had a quick wit. I had a spark, an edge that seems to have disappeared.
Ever since I got "comfortable" in my current position, raking in good $$$, it seems that I've turned into a slug. No creative juices, no spark, no edge.
So I asked myself, is it the result of too much beer over the years? Or has life lost it's challange due to the feeling that "I've arrived so sit back and relax forever."

After much discussion between with my wife and after much prayer we have "almost" made the decision. I say almost because I still need to take care of a couple minor issues.

At 17 I started working on an ambulance as a volunteer. Was a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy for six years. The question of going back into emergency medicine came to mind about two years ago when I witnessed a bad auto accident. Actually a van accident. Being within a few feet I jumped into the fray and everything in the world ceased to exist except what I was doing right there. I helped comfort the scared little kid who hung upside down in her seatbelt. I helped extract the occupants. When I got home I felt like I'd just injected amphetamines. I hadn't felt that good in years.
So now, with job loss looming in less then a month I'm making the BIG step.

We realize several things:

1. The pay is low.
2. The hours are long.
3. The school is very intense.
4. The occupational health risks are much higher.

I'm very excited. I won't start class until January '04 because this semester is full. Until then I'm getting the books and starting some pre-class study.

Anyway, how 'bout them Lions?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

Geek4- Let me the first, (unless someone posts before me, in which case let me be the second, or third, or, well, you get my drift), to wish you all the best on your new path.

It's often very easy to find ways to talk yourself out of this sort of thing. Clearly, only you and your family know your situation well enough to know what you are in a position to do. Having made your decision, I wish you all the best of success. It's great to be able to do something that you love for a living.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
blackhawk

Re: OT Major career decision

Post by blackhawk »

geek4music wrote:
We realize several things:

1. The pay is low.
2. The hours are long.
3. The school is very intense.
4. The occupational health risks are much higher.
1. It'll be a labor of love. You won't be doing it for the money.
2. They won't seem as long when you're doing something you love.
3. Intense is good, not bad.
4. So are the benefits. Risks and benefits often go hand in hand.

I envy you your adventure. I wanted to go into search and rescue myself, then I got disabled instead and had to give up my dream. LIVE YOURS!!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Good for you, G4M! You tossed your hat over the wall, as the saying goes. Thing is, if you hadn't, you'd always have that little question gnawing away at you: "What if...?"

Glad to hear you have a pulse yet.

Well, that was apropos. :lol:
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Geek,
I think that with your corpsman experience you will have a good head start on those paramedic classes. I know all about job stagnation and if it were not for health limitations I'd be doing something similar. I figure that if you can cover your bills, maybe downsize a bit, it doesn't matter that you'll be earning less at first. Enjoy life while you have it.
Mike
lddulcimer

Re: OT Major career decision

Post by lddulcimer »

geek4music wrote:.....I have stagnated. I used to be exceptionally creative. I was an artist..... I had a quick wit. I had a spark, an edge that seems to have disappeared. Ever since I got "comfortable" in my current position, raking in good $$$, it seems that I've turned into a slug. No creative juices, no spark, no edge.
I can relate to your statement above more than you know.....and as someone who has struggled for years with the issue you are talking about, let me say "Congratulations!" :party: You are one of the few people I have ever met who actually has the chutzpah to do something about it. That alone will make the adventure worthwhile and in the end I have no doubt you will be much happier for the change.
Peace.
Larry
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

As one who is desperately trying to find that mystical 'something else' to do as a career, I wish you well and hope you go for it!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

This is great news, Rick! Now you'll be able to introduce me to all your new single doctor friends. :lol:

Seriously, all the best, keep your resolve, it sounds like you're in for a great ride.

Cara
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Good luck; it sounds exciting. However...you only know for sure you like something after you start doing it for awhile. There are other closely related careers that allow more lateral movement in case a specific job loses its appeal. Nursing comes to mind. You can work in an ermergency room/trauma center if you like the adrenalin aspect, but, people do burn out in big numbers doing that kind of work. Look around and ask questions. Definitely talk with some paramedics who've been doing it awhile. Best wishes,
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I agree with THOROUGH research. I got "burned" by believing the counsleor (recruiter) from a trade school at his word. Got roped into years of school loan payments for an education in something I did not really like and only worked in for a few short months. Talk to actual workers in whatever field, long term workers who are past the "honeymoon" stage and are sort of running on fumes as it were. They will give you the less glamorous aspects. Just balance that against their own stagnations though.

At my last job a new company moved in down the complex. They were looking for techs, but it was in a different field. I was electronics, they were medical. A couple of years later I applied to an ad in the paper. Turned out it was for the same company and I was offerred and accepted a Senior Technician position. I missed out on a LOT of money and benefits because I delayed pulling the trigger.

Good luck.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Whatever you do, do what you love and love what you do. It makes for happy work days.
Good luck,
Ron
trisha

Post by trisha »

Follow your heart...you know it makes sense :)

Good luck,

Trisha
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Best of luck! Do what you LOVE, and all else will come.
My stepson started as an EMTabout a year ago, and loves the work. He just signed up for the paramedic course and will start in a few weeks.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I know exactly what you mean - the intensity of emergency work. Of course the patients I worked with were of the lower animal variety, but I did love to work on emergencies at the vet hospital where I spent many years. Bring in a HBC(hit by car)or HBD(hit by dog) and I was right there in the thick of it.

A nurse friend of mine hated to be shifted to ER when the labor and delivery where she worked was quiet.

So I guess that if you are cut out for that, go for it. Since you've some experience you have a pretty good idea of what you are in for.

Good luck and I envy you the challenge of a new phase.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Sorry to hear about the severence, Geek, but good luck in your new field. What a good choice.

Although I have no intention of changing careers, I've often thought of acquiring proper paramedic qualifications just because not nearly enough people know what to do in an emergency. If the people who realise this don't act, who will? I recently had to deal with a medical emergency and did all the right things but acquiring the qualifications would be better ...