Are there any englishmen out there?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jetboy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Are there any englishmen out there?

Post by Jetboy »

Reading StevieJ's thread about the americanisation of this forum, it is afterall an american site. I tend to agree with the dysfunctional bit though, having just witnessesed a honeymooning american couple utterly disrupt a fine session in a famous Dublin watering hole by being, well, american! :x

I would be delighted to follow an English thread if there are any like-minded Brits out there. It gets a bit lonely sometimes! :(
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I would be delighted to follow an English thread too, even if there might not be anything I could contribute to it.

One of the things I have appreciated about some of the politically oriented threads is that they've given me a chance to discover the viewpoints of people in other countries, which might not be readily available to me through my familiar news media.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Are there any englishmen out there?

Post by Nanohedron »

Jetboy wrote:I tend to agree with the dysfunctional bit though, having just witnessesed a honeymooning american couple utterly disrupt a fine session in a famous Dublin watering hole by being, well, american! :x
Good Lord, JB! We Yanks are not all clowns and peasants. What the heck did did this couple do?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

...and may I state for the record that I was under the impression that all Englishmen were "Out There".

Martin has much to answer for.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Nanohedron wrote:...and may I state for the record that I was under the impression that all Englishmen were "Out There".

Martin has much to answer for.

I heard that.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

:D
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

my girl friend of 20 years is a britt. so i guess i could chime in on either countries discussion. she made me scones yesterday :D
shy the blond water
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

tansy wrote:my girl friend of 20 years is a britt. so i guess i could chime in on either countries discussion. she made me scones yesterday :D
Wait, is she 20 years old, or you've known her 20 years?

Actually, if she likes men with heads like potatos, who cares, I'm there!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
tansy

Post by tansy »

Martin Milner wrote:
tansy wrote:my girl friend of 20 years is a britt. so i guess i could chime in on either countries discussion. she made me scones yesterday :D
Wait, is she 20 years old, or you've known her 20 years?

Actually, if she likes men with heads like potatos, who cares, I'm there!
BOTH! martin :party:
shy the blond water
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I knew a man named Lime.
Harry Lime.
Unfortunately, though an expert on cuckoo cloks, he was American, too...
trisha

Post by trisha »

EnglishMEN - phoofff. Verbage, lad, verbage. Right what shall we British people OT on then?

Anyone mention that prat Blair or airhead Beckham, then I'm outa here...
:twisted:

Trisha
Henke

Post by Henke »

Good one Trisha :lol:
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

it's a well known fact that here in america everyone gets an IQ test, those that fail it are deported to roam the world as "tourists" furthermore, the ones who fail by the largest margin are sent to europe :)

I think the idea is that if the world gets the idea that we're all just llike our "tourists" then people will quit immigrating.
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

the ones who fail by the largest margin are sent to europe
Only partly true. The one who failed by the biggest margin of all was given Airforce One to make up for all those years when he never left his own backyard, and now he gets to travel the world or at least the bits that are important to Uncle Dick's business interests! :D

Edit:
Oops! :oops: That was meant to be a PM, but anyway quod scripsi scripsi
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
janice

Post by janice »

There is a very popular program here in Canada entitled "Talking to Americans" hosted by (very funny) Newfoundlander Rick Mercer. The premise-travel all over the States doing 'man on the street' questions, and film them....he's nailed all kinds of people saying really stupid things. Some are real howlers too- he got the Governer (!) of Arkansas congratulating "the Government of Canada on the completion of their National Houses of Parliament Igloo."

But the absolutely best one was the following:
Somehow, Rick Mercer got backstage at a Republican fundraiser in Michigan, and got close enough to Bush to record the following exchange-
Mercer-"Governer Bush, did you know that Canadian Prime Minister Jean Poutine endorses your bid for the American presidency?"
Bush- "Well, Prime Minister Poutine must be a very smart man, and I'm very happy to receive his support."

It was too funny, but frightening for the following two reasons:
One- our Prime Minister's name is Chretien (poutine is a really gross and disgusting Quebec concoction of fries, gravy and cheese curds). Canada is the US's largest trading partner, you'd think that Bush would know the Canadian Prime Minister's correct name. Not to mention that we share the world's longest unprotected border.
Two- no sitting Prime Minister would publically endorse a candidate running for any office in another country. Duh. Just like no sitting US President would publically endorse a candidate/party running in Canada.

(to be fair-the same kinds of on the street questions were asked of ordinary Canadians, and they gave some stupid answers too. But our Prime Minister is a very smart, wily guy despite his mangling of both official languages....)