Purest sounding whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistle_along_Cassidy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Purest sounding whistle

Post by Whistle_along_Cassidy »

I know that there has already been a poll and a post or two on this same topic, but i thought i would do my own post. I prefer very pure and sweet sounding whistles, although i also like my clarke a lot too. My main whistle right now is my self tweaked Lbw head on a feadog body. The feadog body seems to be better in tune the the lbw whistle's body. The Lbw is so pure and seet sounding. i recently purchased a used Kerry songbird, very nice whislte, sweet tone, but a little bit of chiff. But i still seem to like my Lbw better. Many people haver told me that burke is a very seet, pure sounding whistles, but if i were to purchased one what model should i get if i what my pure tone. Carol recomender the brass and told me that it was the purest. Anyone else have any other thoughts or any other recomendations on pure whistles. I am not looking to spend more than at max about $150. Also what is the purest inexpensive whistle.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Either Burke or Elfsong would satisfy your need. I believe Elfsongs are a little cheaper.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Whistle_along_Cassidy

Burke

Blackhawk what material should the burke be made from and what bore size?
slowair

Re: Purest sounding whistle

Post by slowair »

Hello Cass,

IMO, a Sindt is as good as it gets and if memory serves me, Blackhawk was trying to unload one a couple days ago. See if he still has it. You won't be disappointed.

Mike
blackhawk

Re: Burke

Post by blackhawk »

Whistle_along_Cassidy wrote:Blackhawk what material should the burke be made from and what bore size?
That's personal taste, my friend, but I like brass for durability and looks. I like quieter whistles so I like the Burke narrow bore, but there's nothing wrong with any version of any Burke.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The Burke narrow bore has less chiff/breathiness than the wide bore. I have a brass one.

I believe Sindts are pretty pure sounding.

Gary Humphrey (raindog) puts out a whistle as pure as these and cheaper. Very good whistle.

Cillian O'Briain's tweaked whistle is very pure and the quieter of these.

O'Riordan is in a class by himself for pure tone, but I think he's retired from whistle making, or at least, not taking new orders.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Whistle_along_Cassidy

tony

Tony thanks for the info. but i have another question for you. I have enjoyed listening to all your sound files that you ahve posted on chiff and fipple tune site. I have been trying to learn hole in a hedge by ear off of your recording, but i cant seem to figure out the second part. I have the A part right but was wondering if you could posssibly post the B part in sheetmusic for me. i would be grateful
thank you
andrew cassidy

P.S. to everyone i was told that the burke composite marterial offers a more mellow sound, is this true.

Also slowair i ask blackhawk about his sindt, but the only thing i had to offer for it was a kerry songbird. He told me he was looking for another wood whislte.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The purest sounding whistle? Sounds like maybe you should try a few recorders :lol:

Loren
lixnaw

Re: tony

Post by lixnaw »

P.S. to everyone i was told that the burke composite marterial offers a more mellow sound, is this true.

.[/quote]to my ears their the purest, but the main thing is that you've got the like the sound. it's also a very well balanced whistle across the octaves, have a listen in the link below
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

For inexpensive, I have found my Oak to have a sweet, pure tone, and a lot of nice chiffy "pop" between notes. It's a lovely little whistle.

--James
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The purest whistling sound you'll get is Loren standing on a hill on a breezy day with the wind going through his ears. Can be a bit shrill in the upper octave, though. :lol: <Loren's favorite smiley.

Hole in the Hedge? I'll work it out when I get home. I learned it from a Martin Hayes cd, I think it's on Under the Moon.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
pipingturtle

IMHO the Laughin Whistle.

Post by pipingturtle »

Hiya,

I've not sampled a great many whistles. I have a Burke composite in C which is pretty damn pure and sweet sounding, especially compared to the cheap whistles (I actually find some expensive whistles are very rough in sound compared to some of the cheaper ones). However, my favourite is my Laughin Whistle in C. I have a few problems with it clogging up, it tends to do this pretty quick if I don't treat it, but it's got an incredibly pure, sweet, quiet sound to it. Also quite cheap relative to some of the more expensive whistles (at least it was when I got it spring 2000 - I think the price has increased because Noah Herbison has gone back to uni and so isn't spending as much time making whistles and needs the money).

TTFN.
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

I've owned a few different whistles, Sindt, Copeland, Burke, etc. The purest I've found so far is the Hoover. As pure as the others are, there is still a slight bit of chiffyness upon the attack of each note. The Hoover doesn't have this, to my ears. All of them are great whistles, though. I think any of them would be a good choice.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I find the Burke aluminum very pure sounding, but not at all sweet. The Susato is very pure and sweet, if you also like loud whistles. If you like a quieter whistle, I'm with James, the Oak is a really sweet, pure whistle.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
didymus

Post by didymus »

I haven't found a whistle as sweet and pure as a Hoover.