storage

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
the_instrument_player
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

storage

Post by the_instrument_player »

So are there any disadvantages to storing whistles out in the open, rather than having them wrapped up in cases? I just got a neat-looking wicker basket sort of thingie so I could display my collection, and they look really cool sitting in it. But I'm just wondering if sitting out in the open like that without any protection could be hazardous to their health in any way? I wouldn't think just everyday dust could hurt them, and I would think they'd be much happier to be out in the open air....
RoyalGoldReps

Post by RoyalGoldReps »

Well, what do ya got? Wood, metal, plastic? Could make a difference, especially if they are wood.

Steven
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

Well, outside of wood, I'd think the biggest danger with storing your whistles in the open would be small children or clumsy guests.
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

I store mine both in a wicker basket and on whistle stands. Children are free to play them all, though I do put my nicer whistles higher on the shelves... and I don't allow running with whistles - seriously - dangerous. I have wood, bamboo, plastic, metals. None seem any worse for wear and they get more attention that way. I do end up picking up quite a number of whistles off the floor throughout the day, but I'd rather encourage playing with musical instruments than worry about them.

Erik
madguy

Post by madguy »

I keep my wooden whistles in the cases or pouches they came in. All my metal and plastic whistles are kept in glass vases my wife wasn't using any more.

~Larry
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Wooden whistles are not a problem stored in the open, as long as they don't sit in direct sunlight or near heating or air conditioning units which may dry them out excessively. Note that it IS a good idea to store two piece whistles in separate pieces though. They look prettier in one piece, but you will extend the life of the tuning slide if you separate them.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Bert

Post by Bert »

brewerpaul wrote:Note that it IS a good idea to store two piece whistles in separate pieces though. They look prettier in one piece, but you will extend the life of the tuning slide if you separate them.
Is this true even for plastic ones like the Susato Kildares? I always thought that the separating and re-joining would cause wear on the O-rings.
the_instrument_player

Post by the_instrument_player »

Well, I don't have any wooden whistles, so I should be ok there. I do have some two-piecers which I had wondered about storing separately vs. assembled. (Should I be storing my Dixon tunable high D apart as well? For some reason I always just leave that one together...)
As for small children, my 2-yr-old nephew understands very well that his aunt's whistles are off limits. :) He has a few of his own to play with.
Thanks as always for your help.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

... and I don't allow running with whistles - seriously - dangerous
As a young lad I once fell with a stick in my mouth. It stabbed the back of my throat and bled like a stuck throat. :boggle: Since then I have an aversion to seeing kids do anything but sit with a long object in their mouths.
My grandaughter likes to play my with my whistles and move her fingers around like she sees me doing. She also tries to blow the transverse bamboo flutes and she actually holds them in the right direction.
I keep the cheap ones in a coffee can.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm