My new Hoover whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
zoie

My new Hoover whistles

Post by zoie »

I went to Mack Hoovers Wednesday morning and picked up my new Hoover Soprano D – brass, narrow bore whistle. In addition to the D shistle Mack gave me a brass C with a whitecap mouthpiece.

I haven’t had time to play around with the C much but I do like the clear sound it makes. While I was at Mack's he picked up and played a whistle that buzzed and sounded a little muffled. He replaced the mouthpiece with a whitecap mouthpiece and the whistle sounded so much better. There may still be hope for my over-tweaked whistle(s). I’ll keep you posted on this one.

The D whistle is just what I was looking for. It has a sweet soft sound, requires little air, isn’t breathy. This whistle is quieter than my other whistles, I guess the gentleman up the street won’t be coming ‘round anytime soon asking me if I too have been hearing any strange music lately (I can’t remember if he actually called it music).
A wonderful little whistle Mack.

I thought this would take care of my Whoa, at least for a little while, but Mack played an air on a CPVC B-Flat whistle of his and the tone haunted me all day. Ah maybe in the fall.
elendil

Post by elendil »

I thought Mack was out of the whistle making business for the time being. Am I wrong? Actually, I'm currently trying to come up with a good Bb, and you mention a cpvc model in that key.
elendil
jmiller
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmiller »

I haven't tried one of Macks whistles but I did receive one of his whitcap mouthpieces this week. I put it on a Feadog D tube. What an amazing combination. It handles like a dream with such a clear, sweet, tone that I think if it were played in a session the other players would stop to listen. It 's the whistle I have been looking for, for a very long time.
revwhit
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by revwhit »

elendil wrote:I thought Mack was out of the whistle making business for the time being. Am I wrong?
:) The good news for all of us is that Mack is still making whistles. Go to his website at http://home.attbi.com/~mackhoover/ I think he just limits his orders a bit.

These whistles are well worth the money (and are modestly priced). They sound and look beautiful!
revwhit

Post by revwhit »

I just tried Mack's website which I listed above. It is down. :-? I know that you can reach him at the praise whistler's website which is at
http://www.format.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

Check Mack's posting about July -- he mentions the website in there. It's being worked on.

Tery
elendil

Post by elendil »

thanks everyone. i found him, and i ordered a whitecap Bb aluminum barrel. it was a bit of a challenge finding the website! :)
elendil
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

For any who can manage a trip out to visit Mack at his workshop I would HIGHLY recommend the trip! I feel pretty lucky that he's only a few short hours drive away and have a chance to meet Mack and all the Colorado gang on a fairly regular basis.

You will be hard pressed to find a gentleman more knowledgeable and kind than our Mack. He's also quite skilled at repairing sick whistles so if you've got a dinged Copeland, or mangled Shaw, he can likely breathe new life into them! (I'd call him first though just to be sure.)

By the way Mack - any word on the Celtic Fest this year??

Brian~
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Hi Bri!

There will definitely be things happening at my house. More than that is presently beyong my ken. Places to roll out a bed might be a grassy environment, but there's that, and it is looking good, too!

Hey, the grass is greener on MY side of the fence this year.

The Grand Junction whistler number is growing exponentially.

Well, at least it's doubled with the addition of Zoie! And it's rumored she has begun to indoctrinate others.

We had a good time, but too short; and it MUST be repeated!

Mack
Jack

Post by Jack »

My favorite whistle is my whitecap on a 2pc Clare body. It's a great combination. I somehow chipped the blade on one side (!) but I taped over the chipped part and it still plays. Quieter, but it plays. :)
revwhit

Post by revwhit »

Here is a link to Mack's Website that I know works

http://home.earthlink.net/~ffanf/hoover/index.htm

:D