Don't let this happen to you!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
slowair
antispam: No

Don't let this happen to you!

Post by slowair »

If you are buying, selling or trading a whistle or anything that is being shipped, some advice.

This afternoon I received an empty tube in the mail. Somehow the end came off and the contents are... God knows where.

Sucks, huh?

After calling the Post Office, the clerk gave good advice.

Make sure you attach the sender and receiver's name and address to the item somehow. If the contents get seperated from the container, at least they know where to send it on.

You have been warned!

:-?
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Sorry for your loss. :(

I glue the ends on, unless I am recycling the tube, then I only glue one end because I leave one unopened(i.e., taped like it was when it came).
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Did the insurance cover it???
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Chuck_Clark

Re: Don't let this happen to you!

Post by Chuck_Clark »

slowair wrote:This afternoon I received an empty tube in the mail. Somehow the end came off and the contents are... God knows where.

Sucks, huh?
Yeah, majorly! What did you lose?
slowair

Re: Don't let this happen to you!

Post by slowair »

The tube contained a home made flute that someone was letting me try.

There wasn't any insurance, so the hurt is on both ends.

Sad thing is, there was a single strip of tape on the tube end, it just ripped off during shipment.

I guess the lesson here is..Don't spare the tape!

Mike
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

So sorry for your mishap... :(
It's one of the things I've been often wary of.

This illustrates that my being paranoid doesn't prove no-one ever follows me in the street...

Now, especially when the whistles are passed around, or sent to and fro the manufacturer for an extra tube or revoicing, it makes real sense going to your hardware store to purchase some gray PVC plumbing tube and PVC glue. Use "inspection vents" (screw-in caps) as end caps. Glue everything, leaving only one end free, to be fastened with grey duct-tape. Line with foam or bubble plastic.

I just sold a long, veeeery thin-walled wooden low whistle and I sent it within such a tube. I don't think the new owner will complain--qu'en penses-tu, Stuart?

Now, I recently heard from our fluteboard mate Sylvain Barou he got a collectible chanter totally crushed by a courier, while sent in such a PVC tube...
Are WMD a new market for depleted uranium :-?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I use cardboard tubes with plastic end caps, & I've received Dixon and Shaw whistles in similar tubes. When posting, I take the precaution of stapling through the cardboard tube into the plastic end cap several times at each end, making sure the sharp ends are on the inside and folded over so they won't scratch anyone. No need for messy tape, and the staples are easily removed when required.

My sorrow for your loss, have to chalk it up to experience.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Plus I always opt for insurance just in case.

Cranberry that's an interesting avatar.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

As a US postal worker I must say, insure! insure! insure!
It doesn't cost much and even though it's a bit of red tape to collect, you can collect.

If I think of it tomorrow, I'll ask, but I think you may have some automatic coverage........ but then what do I know.......I'm a rural carrier.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

Insurance is a good thing, but it doesn't cover everything.

This example, of hand made flutes, if they were made by someone in the flute making business, it's easy to establish their value for insurance purposes. If they were made by an amateur (like I would be) as an experiment, it's much harder to claim a value for insurance purposes. 50 cents worth of PVC pipe and 5 hours at, say $20.00 per hour won't get you $100.50

Another example, you can insure an old camera you ship to a repair outfit. But if it's lost on the way back to you (insured), you can't insure the cost of the overhaul you've just paid for.

Pack well!