Generation B natural?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Generation B natural?

Post by Mikethebook »

Question. Do Generation make a B natural whistle in either brass or nickel or is this key only available in Jerry Freeman's tweaked versions? Many thanks.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Generation B natural?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

They don't but a Bb is easily converted by cutting back both ends. 'How to' posts for both Bb-B and C-C# conversions have been made several times in the past.
My brain hurts

Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks Mr Gumby!
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Top tip ... go down to your local DIY/Hardware store and buy a pipe-cutter. Don't try to cut the pipe with a hacksaw.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Here's some guidance, to get you started, posted by Bill Haneman back in 2007 or so:
An inexpensive alternative worth trying:

As it happens, you can take a Bflat Generation and remove metal from both the top and bottom so that the top note is sharpened a semitone and the bottom note (all holes closed) is also sharpened a semitone. By some weird quirk of Generation's tuning, the resulting notes in the middle are well within range as well, and the resulting scale is an acceptable B scale. At least, it works for me.

Total length of the doctored Generation (metal part, without fipple):
316 mm

Distance from the top end of the whistle to the top hole:
132 mm
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Here's an earlier thread where I explain my method.

I've made great-playing in-tune whistles in C# and B natural this way.

https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewt ... 1&t=113898

Cutting both ends only and you end up with the notes emitting from Hole 5 and Hole 6 being too flat, so these have to be carved out.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

FWiW, another thread linked to Mac Nic whistles. They do a B (although named 'H' in the German fashion). At 60 euro perhaps a relatively "budget' option.
Not a recommendation (I have not come across these 'in the flesh' or heard them played, so there's a caveat), but at least worth knowing about etc.
My brain hurts

ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:54 am FWiW, another thread linked to Mac Nic whistles. They do a B (although named 'H' in the German fashion).
I am almost sure these are equipped with Sweetone mouthpieces, paired with a thicker-walled tube. I remember trying a D or C MacNic many years ago. It was okay, maybe even for the price. Can't speak for the B(H) though.
Christian