CP (of a sorts) Mahan whistles.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

CP (of a sorts) Mahan whistles.

Post by Wanderer »

You can reach me about whistles with my etsy shop (linked below) or by writing me at greg@tinwhistler.com or shooting me a private message here. Standard whistles are $50.00 USD, and I may charge some nominal fee for more exotic materials or lots of customization.

So, I've working on making these whistles using my 3d printer. I've sold a few. I've opened an Etsy Shop where I sell them occasionally. People who've gotten them have said positive things, and my videos on Facebook and the like are getting positive commentary. So, I'm going to limit myself to talking about them except in the sanctioned monthly CP post.

My most recent sale, a custom color job for a man in Germany. This was made with a new material: PLA-wood. It's a standard PLA plastic impregnated with 30% wood fiber. It smells like wood. When 3d printing, it smells like someone's using a woodburning set (you know, those things that were so popular in the 70s. Ah, the nostalgia). Rather than being slick, like plastic, it has a slightly rough/woody texture on the finish. I quite like it. Unfortunately, it's about twice as expensive as regular PLA.

I did some experimentation, and posted a few videos places, and someone reached out to see if I could make a whistle that looked more like the "traditional" style, with a small black mouthpiece, but the rest of the whistle head made in that same wood PLA. He wanted the ferrules to be in a kind of "galvanized steel" that I'd experimented with a week or so ago, and wanted a ferrule at the foot of the whistle and not just the tuning slide.

So, after a bit of design in the ol' CAD software, this is what I came up with:
Last edited by Wanderer on Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: CP (of a sorts) Mahan whistles.

Post by Wanderer »

For some reason, making the post longer was encountering server errors, so I'm breaking it up into 2 parts. Sorry!

https://youtu.be/yt_i_rOTejY Here's the video of the whistle.

-----------------

So, by a happy accident, and not because of anything I did especially to cause it, my whistles work very well in the wind. I think I've mentioned this before, but I was out vending 3d printed stuff yesterday and it was quite windy out. A friend of mine was shooting some pictures and video, so I took a little video of me twisting and turning in the wind to show that the sound didn't cut out. You can see and hear the wind in the video--it was quite gusty! But I had no care at all for that as my little whistle kept toodling away

And here's that video: https://youtube.com/shorts/vUom2etRDyw
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║