WANXIAO Whistle on Amazon?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Quark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member for years, although mainly inactive, but forgot my username even though I do have my password. I decided it would be quicker to re-register. I play whistle, flute, piccolo and recently fife.

WANXIAO Whistle on Amazon?

Post by Quark »

Hi all
Has anybody tried one of these Amazon whistles? Would be interested in feedback.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: WANXIAO Whistle on Amazon?

Post by kkrell »

NOPE.

Code: Select all

https://ucd0076043d522b0590e2b8a4f34.previews.dropboxusercontent.com/p/thumb/ACOSy1L9RV3zXIvCQ7e1UF0CKVrC8FLKQmbqrrADSXHZ8Kko6LK00E9vgansJSsKyRZ0Nn7Cntn7zcwSznWMVoU9VD-o3WbAObvoNGec3kmeDEPhY2FwO3jT0WeyEN1dUIINLIIcRz2yW32F21a-iZOHlL1PoWpfnBP-SLn-fqaWPyFjx4nZKrS4JNKZb90gFYaJqwU2U4elgP99ydm0uJEqK18rG4i_ybQnBae3S7ZpeZFle-lX5WLl-GrirMIXbwGlWFN2Mh6E8BUjEcjIuA_6WjFiMtNf0m_5uGLQrCeI_NyP-q0se1faJoQsJZt8hS9X2EseK9JPIjUr8KkYZRBU9FNfbn6xGBf6NdfZAWpxSw_XJAiLoxHjjItKxsN53mc/p.jpeg
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Cyberknight
Tell us something.: I live in the Boston area and like to play in sessions. I've played whistle for 10+ years and flute for 6 months.

Post by Cyberknight »

If I had to guess, I'd say these probably suck. But given the price, there's little reason not to give them a try. Maybe they're secretly really good whistles and worth buying. But since they're not tunable, I'd still probably never play one.
Quark
Tell us something.: I've been a member for years, although mainly inactive, but forgot my username even though I do have my password. I decided it would be quicker to re-register. I play whistle, flute, piccolo and recently fife.

Post by Quark »

Yes, you may well be right, I've actually put one in my basket until I've got sufficient to have it delivered free :) Personally I've never owned a tuneable whistle, never had the need as I never play in public. I can't imagine that any whistle will ever please me more than my Tony Dixon 005's (I've got three of them). I generally only play airs, but I've got an exceptional Generation that sounds perhaps better for faster stuff. But like probably every member on here, I'm always open to the possibility that there just might be one out there to prove the point that it's the whistle and not the player that makes the difference, but I don't really believe it.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Wanxiao, hmmm. Depending upon the characters used, this can mean "a joke", "to play a prank" or "a Grade School, with grades 1-6". Could have other meanings, but that exhausts my modest English-Chinese Dictionary. YMMV.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

I bought the version with the plastic head a few months ago out of curiosity (it was listed under various brand names, but they all appeared to be the same whistle).

It was much better in tune than a recent model Feadog, but in all probability I happened to get a good Chinese one and a duff Irish one; with mass produced whistles it could just as easily have been the other way round. It's since been gifted to an eight year old who's having lessons, as it was also better tuned than the one he had.

With the all-alloy version, one of the UK reviewers commented that it's sprayed with sparkly silver paint and looks cheap because of it. They apparently cleaned this off to reveal the alloy underneath, and once they'd also sorted out the fact that it played flat in both octaves, it was [to paraphrase] okay for the money if you're prepared to go to that much trouble.

If it were me I'd spend an extra three quid on a tuneable Tony Dixon. They seem reliable and sound good, though as mine is noticeably less air-efficient than my Killarney, I don't play it as much.
Quark

Post by Quark »

Thanks Moof, that's brilliant information. I thought when I looked at it that it had an odd finish, and I now know why. I think I'll also clean it off if I get one. I'd be interested to know where you heard the UK comments from, was it another forum? I hear what you say about the Dixon, I have three of their 001's (not fives as I put above) and I just love the sound and the way they play, it suits the kind of stuff I play.
The Lurking Fear

Post by The Lurking Fear »

They're the most expensive whistle Walmart sells online! If that says anything. :sleep:

I'd been considering ordering one just to see,but if it all over flat I guess not.

Wouldn't bother to take the paint off myself.Looked cheap? Really,anything look cheaper than a Clarke?
Quark

Post by Quark »

Wow, thanks for that! I can't believe how many whistles this Walmart place sells, unreal. You Americans are so lucky!
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Quark wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:52 am I'd be interested to know where you heard the UK comments from, was it another forum?
No, it was the first review on Amazon's UK site. I searched for 'WANXIAO Whistle' to see it was the same manufacturer as mine, but the result was lots of football whistles. I tried 'WANXIAO D Whistle' instead, which brought up the right product. The feedback (from Mr M Garner) still shows at the top of the list.

By the way, my plastic topped whistle isn't branded as WANXIAO, but the manufacturer does also make your model. I suspect they churn out lots of the same two whistle types, but they brand them differently because they know a name can be innocuous in one language but sound like an insult in another.
Quark

Post by Quark »

Thanks for that Moof, I thought perhaps there was a UK site that I couldn't find🤭. I did read the review you referenced, but will still buy it for curiosities sake.
Quark

Post by Quark »

Okay folks, received the beastie yesterday and it's going back today 😊. The machining of the blade area was beyond bad, and a quick toot told me how much of an effect it was having. Maybe I just got a reject, but it made obvious that there's no quality control.
This story ends here.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/x59sq081 ... vry55&dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/vreibd9i ... g4qaa&dl=0
Moof

Post by Moof »

Oh, it's one of the weird M (or W) shaped ones.

I got a Clarke with a blade shaped a bit like that. I didn't like it much either, and I don't think it was very efficient.
joemc
Tell us something.: I play whistle and Irish Flute (got a plastic Copland). Also guitar, bass, mandolin and Chapman Stick. Also, I love haiku and hummus, but not dentistry.

Post by joemc »

I just got a pair of Sondery whistles on Amazon because I needed a C and for the price ($21.99 for the pair), why not get another D to add to my other 15 or so...
Anyway, they may be the same manufacturer (Wanxiao) because they are Chinese but I dumped the box too quickly so I don't know for sure.

I like them:
I'm used to cheap-but-decent whistles; Oak is one of my favorites. These compare favorably.
They are thicker-walled aluminum (unlike the Oak). Their tone quality is about halfway between an Oak and the aluminum Dixon (which is the only other aluminum whistle I have).
They are not tunable, but tuned pretty well to A440, at least at room temps. They have a spot-on C natural using LH 2 and 3 fingers.
My Dixon (which is the most expensive whistle I've got) water-clogs easily, making it hard to play the high B without shaking it out; these whistles do not have that problem after playing for a half-hour.
They are fairly responsive; I'm having no problem with my ornamentation.
They are a little rough when slurring from a lower octave to the second octave G (never had that happen before) but I could deal with it easily after messing with it for a while.
So I'm happy with them.
Quark

Post by Quark »

This is very handy info, thanks joemc!