Goldie Low D soft/medium whistle question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ruairihurley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Low whistle learner, also concertina player and banjo and guitar xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Goldie Low D soft/medium whistle question

Post by ruairihurley »

Hello All,

Just wondering lately about getting hold of a Goldie Low D; I currently am learning to play low whistle and have a Chieftain V5 which I really like, more and more as I improve (slowly). Do you have any thoughts on what would be a good model Goldie to aim for, in the soft to hard blowing range. I feel like the medium would be best for me as I seem to do better with a for-want-of-a-better-word, "firmer" sort of instrument (i.e. I don't do well with whistles that are too easy, sensitive. This is all very vague but any thoughts would be appreciated. Many thanks,
Ruairi
PS I have no access to any Goldies to try out where I live..
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Re: Goldie Low D soft/medium whistle question

Post by Moof »

I'd try and arrange to talk to Colin Goldie if you can.

He's busy and it might take a bit of time / persistence, but he always seems willing to take time to get an understanding of what people are looking for. He'd then be able to offer advice on what might be the best compromise for you (all whistles are compromises, the trick is finding the one that has the fewest disadvantages).
ruairihurley
Tell us something.: Low whistle learner, also concertina player and banjo and guitar xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Post by ruairihurley »

Thank you, Moof, that makes sense alright: and I suppose he does offer good after-service so I could always make a substitution I suppose...
Cyberknight
Tell us something.: I live in the Boston area and like to play in sessions. I've played whistle for 10+ years and flute for 6 months.

Post by Cyberknight »

ruairihurley wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:09 pm Hello All,

Just wondering lately about getting hold of a Goldie Low D; I currently am learning to play low whistle and have a Chieftain V5 which I really like, more and more as I improve (slowly). Do you have any thoughts on what would be a good model Goldie to aim for, in the soft to hard blowing range. I feel like the medium would be best for me as I seem to do better with a for-want-of-a-better-word, "firmer" sort of instrument (i.e. I don't do well with whistles that are too easy, sensitive. This is all very vague but any thoughts would be appreciated. Many thanks,
Ruairi
PS I have no access to any Goldies to try out where I live..
Just out of curiosity, what things about your Chieftain do you think could be improved? I ask because I'm thinking about getting a low D someday and I'm curious how Goldies are different from Chieftains.
ruairihurley

Post by ruairihurley »

Hi Cyberknight,
It looks like you have a lot more experience than me on whistle/flute in general, and I'm not well qualified to speak on the low whistle aspect... except to say that I do really like my Chieftain and could probably play it happily for years. However, I just have it in my head to try to get a Goldie because, to be honest, after having spent a small fortune on a concertina as I have, the idea of playing what is regarded as one of the the best instruments in the whistle sphere for a few hundred euros seems like a simple decision (once I've saved up, that is). The experience of trying to get a decent concertina made me re-think some things that I should have known regarding instruments in general; i.e. you get what you pay for. I bought the Chieftain because it is not a bottom-of-the-line instrument, and I am very happy with it. I did get hold of a lower level whistle later, a Busker low D, and I personally think there's a large difference that more than justifies the relatively small extra cost of a Chieftain. So in a sense I would tell you that the Chieftain is a great choice in my opinion, but remember you're not that far off, cost-wise, from going for a whistle that I for one am hoping will be the last one I ever need. But you are in the Boston area which probably opens up more opportunities for trading/selling instruments than I have, so that's a consideration too. But let me say that I am finding the Chieftain to be more than satisfactory and as I progress on the whistle it seems to work for me very well; in other words, it is not limiting me at all in the way that a lesser instrument would.
I don't know that I've made anything clearer here but basically... Chieftain = great; Goldie = hopefully better. Me = indulging myself :)
Good luck with whatever you decide,
Ruairi
ruairihurley

Post by ruairihurley »

Sorry, I think I really didn't answer your question; in my limited experience, I would describe the Chieftain sound as mellower and more breathy in tone. I've been told that a Goldie sound would be 'firmer' as someone put it, and I think that's what I am hoping for, once I improve my own ability. So I suppose that takes things back to individual preference. Again, the Chieftain is lovely to my ears, responds well and is well balanced over both octaves, both in terms of pressure and pitch. But I think what I'm hoping for in the Goldie is something that I will eventually be able to 'dig into' more. Again, a firmer kind of sound. It's hard for me to put it into words but I have a feeling that it is a tangible difference. But all in all, if I was told I could never play another whistle than my Chieftain I would be ok with that.
I'll stop now...
Cyberknight
Tell us something.: I live in the Boston area and like to play in sessions. I've played whistle for 10+ years and flute for 6 months.

Post by Cyberknight »

ruairihurley wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:47 am Sorry, I think I really didn't answer your question; in my limited experience, I would describe the Chieftain sound as mellower and more breathy in tone. I've been told that a Goldie sound would be 'firmer' as someone put it, and I think that's what I am hoping for, once I improve my own ability. So I suppose that takes things back to individual preference. Again, the Chieftain is lovely to my ears, responds well and is well balanced over both octaves, both in terms of pressure and pitch. But I think what I'm hoping for in the Goldie is something that I will eventually be able to 'dig into' more. Again, a firmer kind of sound. It's hard for me to put it into words but I have a feeling that it is a tangible difference. But all in all, if I was told I could never play another whistle than my Chieftain I would be ok with that.
I'll stop now...
Thanks for your take! And actually, you are far more experienced than I am when it comes to low D whistles, because I’ve never really tried one before. Played high whistle for quite a long time, but it’s definitely a different instrument with its own quirks. :)

Anyway, what you’re saying about Goldies vs. Chieftains seems to square with what I’ve read others say. And I play high D Goldies and believe they are the best high whistles made. So I doubt you’ll go wrong with your decision.
ruairihurley

Post by ruairihurley »

Glad to have made even a little sense, Cyberknight, thanks! I'm pretty sure I'm going to press on with getting a medium blowing Goldie low D; if I draw any earth-shattering conclusions from it I will let you know if you like.
Happy playing to you and all.
Ruairi