Frequency in a square tube

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TimothyHD
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like to make musical instruments. I have made PVC flutes and a Panjolelee. Just looking to learn and maybe ask questions.

Frequency in a square tube

Post by TimothyHD »

I have been searching and I can't find an answer to this. Am I correct in assuming the pitch of a regular tube with a square cross section will be determined by it's corner to corner measurement, i.e. longest measure?
paddler

Re: Frequency in a square tube

Post by paddler »

I thought that what mattered was the cross-sectional area of each point in the bore, regardless of the shape.

But I look forward to reading a post from someone who actually knows!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Shouldn't the pitch be determined by the length of the tube, regardless?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

For all practical purposes, the resonant frequencies of a square pipe will be the same as a round pipe of the same length and similar cross sectional area.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Tunborough wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:04 pm For all practical purposes, the resonant frequencies of a square pipe will be the same as a round pipe of the same length and similar cross sectional area.
Just like baking (from The Cheesecake Cookbook, by Kevin Krell)

"Most cheesecakes are made in an 8", 9" or 10" springform pan (a round pan with removable sides). The 9" is the most common. A 1/2 recipe can usually be prepared in a similar sized pie pan. Sometimes, however, you will not have the correct size pan available. Rather than purchasing a pan of the proper size, it is possible to substitute one of a different size and shape according to the list below...

All pan sizes are measured inside from rim to rim.

8" ROUND = 50 SQUARE INCHES
9" ROUND = 64 SQUARE INCHES
10" ROUND = 79 SQUARE INCHES
8" X 8" SQUARE = 64 SQUARE INCHES
9" X 9" SQUARE = 81 SQUARE INCHES
11" X 4 1/2" RECT. = 50 SQUARE INCHES
11" X 7" RECT. = 77 SQUARE INCHES
16" X 5" RECT. = 80 SQUARE INCHES

It is important that the surface area of the substitute pan be very close to that of the pan originally required. Therefore, these pans may be used interchangeably:

8" ROUND = 11" X 4 1/2" RECTANGULAR
9" ROUND = 8" X 8" SQUARE
10" ROUND = 9" X 9" SQUARE
10" ROUND = 11" X 7" RECTANGULAR
10" ROUND = 16" X 5" RECTANGULAR"
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
paddler

Post by paddler »

kkrell wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:24 am Just like baking (from The Cheesecake Cookbook, by Kevin Krell)
Yes, assuming the pans are all of equal depth. :D
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

I searched for 25 minutes and found nothing. The trick will be finding the correct search term that gets to the answer.
Maybe save 7 hours of searching by contacting Nick Metcalf (?), who has made some square tube whistles.
trill

Post by trill »

kkrell wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:48 pm Shouldn't the pitch be determined by the length of the tube, regardless?
Certainly, length is the dominant effect.

However, for equal tube area, a square tube will have about 13% more surface area. So, more area for viscous friction.

My hunch is that a square tube would have a *slightly* lower pitch. How much lower, I do not know.

Another hunch: the difference might be so small that fancy lab gear would be needed to measure it.
TimothyHD
Tell us something.: I like to make musical instruments. I have made PVC flutes and a Panjolelee. Just looking to learn and maybe ask questions.

Post by TimothyHD »

So I guess the answer comes down to "experiment and figure out" :lol: ! Thanks for all the thoughts! Results will be forth coming.
David Cooper
Tell us something.: I'm about to have a go at making wooden flutes based on a quena - I want to experiment with changing the hole sizes and locations to make one that's more comfortable to play. I just received an auger through the post today, and there are blown-down trees in the garden waiting to be repurposed, so I'll try to make a start on my first prototype at the weekend.

Post by David Cooper »

A square tube should support a range of frequencies, but that's masked by them averaging out to a single frequency with degraded tone. My first prototype resin quena had an octagonal bore (as I wasn't rotating it with a motor at that stage when experimenting with resin - you need that rotation to keep it circular while the liquid resin gradually hardens and sets) and it sounds horrible as a result of those different length paths at different alignments. The frequency will not be determined by the corner to corner separation distance, or the side to side separation distance, but the average separation distance. Exactly how to average it I'm not sure, but perhaps you could divide it be 360 degrees and work out the separation distance at each of those (one degree at a time) before averaging them. This is a guess though and it may be wrong.
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

trill wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:35 am My hunch is that a square tube would have a *slightly* lower pitch. How much lower, I do not know.

Another hunch: the difference might be so small that fancy lab gear would be needed to measure it
I think your hunches could be right. I made an uilleann "C" chanter with a square bore based on a C19th original and the pitch is where I would expect to be at about 10 cents sharp of modern C
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

TimothyHD wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:33 am So I guess the answer comes down to "experiment and figure out" :lol: ! Thanks for all the thoughts! Results will be forth coming.
Yes, please keep us up to date on progress. And tell us what's prompted this mischief making?

Square whistles, eh? Who'd ever have thought of such a thing? Young people these days, I don't know....

Or...

The lengths some people are prepared to go to to stop their whistle rolling off the table at the pub...
trill

Post by trill »

paddler wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:43 pm I thought that what mattered was the cross-sectional area of each point in the bore, regardless of the shape.
I'm inclined to agree that cross-sectional area matters.

After all, bore-perturbations and tapered bores influence tuning.
Terry McGee wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:47 pm Square whistles, eh? . . .
Imagine the fun (work!) of "tapering" or "perturbing" a square tube !

Hmmm . . . once a jig-fixture is made, repeats + mods might not be too bad . . . compared to delicate lathe-work on fragile tubes . . .

Hmmmx2: Use a pattern-following mill for flat tube sections. Tweak the pattern and all the repeats are easy . . . Hmmm . . .
paddler

Post by paddler »

trill wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:29 pm
paddler wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:43 pm I thought that what mattered was the cross-sectional area of each point in the bore, regardless of the shape.
I'm inclined to agree that cross-sectional area matters.

After all, bore-perturbations and tapered bores influence tuning.
Some whistle makers seem to achieve their bore compression in the head of a whistle (to balance octaves) by crushing an otherwise cylindrical bore into a squared off shape (perhaps by using a press). If the resulting square cross section retains the same diagonal distance as the original round bore's diameter, then the cross-sectional area of the new square bore will be less than the original round one. This will effectively taper the bore at the head. If you look closely at whistles from Goldie you can see this effect, at least on three of the four sides. The bottom is still round. Superficially, this looks like an external decorative/stylistic effect, but a peak inside the bore shows that there is a lot more to it than that. And a study of acoustics makes it all the more interesting! :thumbsup: