Mk Kelpie - First Impressions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kedster
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here to explore whistles! Traditional Turkish flute (Ney) player originally, racking my melancholic neys for the sweeter and more jovial whistles!

Mk Kelpie - First Impressions

Post by Kedster »

Hello! I'm a pretty big newb to whistles, having played turkish reed flute for about a year now.

I saw a lot of discussions around MK Pros, but I think a more detailed information around Kelpies is invaluable, because of newbs who might be scared to drop big price tickets on Pros.

First of all, I think even if I were a pro and had to rely on a tunable for recordings and sessions, I think a Kelpie is indispensable, because just how indestructible it really is and how on-point the tuning is for A=440hz. In the winter air here in Turkey, at around 2-3C I play a smooth A=432hz on it at a harsh climate (and if it's below 0 outside when you play it, maybe don't play an instrument in the first place!) When it's warmed up and it really gets easily warmed up in a few minutes, it has a solid lower end, well-defined second octave and quite a bit volume. Last two keys take a bit more push but nothing unreasonable whatsoever.

For a mainly A=432 enjoyer especially on windblown instruments, I'll take the untunable compromise for the sheer ease of carry-and-play and the price tag. Even if I'm considering a Pro D for lower tunings, I don't think I could get rid of my Kelpie as a reliable street companion. There's not much ready-to-buy low Ds out there in the market and I'm more than enthused to have bought this beauty.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Mk Kelpie - First Impressions

Post by pancelticpiper »

While all of my whistles are tunable, and I wouldn't buy a whistle that wasn't, I do acknowledge that I generally keep them tuned at the same spot.

Here in California we're not faced with extreme weather.

But, though it's rare for me to move a tuning slide, the tuning slides of all my whistles are placed where I need them, which might or might not be where a maker living in a quite different climate might fix his tuning.

My experience over the years is that fixed-pitched whistles, by whatever maker and wherever made, generally play too sharp for me here.

Years ago I owned six different MK Low D's at various points in time, all of them tunable. These were all made prior to the Pro/Kelpie division. All of them had an identical tuning quirk: Bottom D was flatter than Middle D.

Half of them had a slightly longer tube, making Middle D in tune but Bottom D flat.

Half had a slightly shorter tube, making Bottom D in tune but Middle D sharp.

This suggests that Misha was aware of the issue and was experimenting with different solutions. I've not played a recent MK but I would assume that Misha had sorted this by now.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Kedster
Tell us something.: I'm here to explore whistles! Traditional Turkish flute (Ney) player originally, racking my melancholic neys for the sweeter and more jovial whistles!

Re: Mk Kelpie - First Impressions

Post by Kedster »

I just tested on 440 pano tuner and low d was bang on spot, to the point of breaking when challenged beyond the pitch, and second d starts off quite volumely and has a wide sharper range.
pancelticpiper wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:27 amYears ago I owned six different MK Low D's at various points in time, all of them tunable. These were all made prior to the Pro/Kelpie division. All of them had an identical tuning quirk: Bottom D was flatter than Middle D.

Half of them had a slightly longer tube, making Middle D in tune but Bottom D flat.

Half had a slightly shorter tube, making Bottom D in tune but Middle D sharp.

This suggests that Misha was aware of the issue and was experimenting with different solutions. I've not played a recent MK but I would assume that Misha had sorted this by now.