Hudson Winds Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
crickett
antispam: No

Hudson Winds Whistle

Post by crickett »

I have a whistle purchased about 15 years ago that I believe was made by Hudson Winds. It does not, though, have any markings on it and so I am interested whether anyone has picture of one that they would be willing to share, or whether anyone knows whether the maker sometimes did not mark his whistles. It is a beautifully crafted whistle, with a conical bore. One distinctive feature is that on the headjoint, opposite the blowing end there is a small cut-out where the whistle connects with the body. Thanks for any help you can provide.
RoberTunes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Re: Hudson Winds Whistle

Post by RoberTunes »

A fast search online shows a few pictures of Hudson Winds whistles, but not much to go on for timelines.
https://clarkesmusiccompany.com/image/c ... 00x500.JPG

I know less than zilch about them. Maybe email a current sales team for leads.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

RoberTunes wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:14 pm A fast search online shows a few pictures of Hudson Winds whistles, but not much to go on for timelines.
https://clarkesmusiccompany.com/image/c ... 00x500.JPG

I know less than zilch about them. Maybe email a current sales team for leads.
Those are not the Hudson whistles produced by Pete Bonsteel under the banner of 'Hudson winds' at one time, which is the make the OP appears to be asking about. The ones linked are completely different, generic, whistles marketed by a different company: Hudson guitars. They happen to fly under the same name but bear no relation to the other Hudsons the OP is enquiring about.
My brain hurts

Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

crickett wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:30 pm I have a whistle purchased about 15 years ago that I believe was made by Hudson Winds. It does not, though, have any markings on it and so I am interested whether anyone has picture of one that they would be willing to share, or whether anyone knows whether the maker sometimes did not mark his whistles. It is a beautifully crafted whistle, with a conical bore. One distinctive feature is that on the headjoint, opposite the blowing end there is a small cut-out where the whistle connects with the body. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Yes, that is a Peter Bonsteel Hudson Winds whistle: Conical bore, no brand/name markings, and with a small semi-circular cut-out on the back of the headjoint at the bottom of the sleeve. If you look closely you should find an inscribed dot on the whistle body, which used for indexing the tuning: Center the dot in the semi-circle and the whistle should be close to A=440, depending on atmospheric conditions and how you blow.

Nice whistles, shame they aren’t being made anymore. Shoot me a PM if you ever decide to part with it.

Hope this helps.