Is There Actually Any Difference Between Generation Models?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rykirk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a piper and guitarist who has taken up the whistle and flute. Mostly interested in and playing Scottish baroque and trad.

Is There Actually Any Difference Between Generation Models?

Post by rykirk »

Original, Folk, Boho, Aurora... are these just the same hole size/spacing and fipples in different coloured plastic or on different coloured barrels? It's really not obvious what the difference between these whistles is.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Is There Actually Any Difference Between Generation Models?

Post by ecadre »

Yes, they're all the same in their design etc., excepting the colours.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm guessing the variously-coloured heads they're currently offering are made from the same moulds.

There's a significant difference between Generations when you're speaking of what era a specific Generation was made in.

I much prefer the older ones.

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
fintano
Tell us something.: Because I play flute and whistle.

With a toot on the flute and a twiddle on the fiddle
Hopping in the middle like a herrin on the griddle
Up, down, hands around and crossing to the wall
Sure hadn't we the gaiety at Phil the Fluter's ball

Post by fintano »

I would be interested in hearing about the different eras of Generations.

I bought a full set of Generations in 1979, when that was not an easy thing to do. About 30 years ago I destroyed the C whistle with a misguided attempt to boil the mouthpiece free. (Thanks, Internet!) But I still have the rest of them. I do play the D fairly often, and it still seems quite nice to me, even though I have now acquired some high-end instruments. I haven't had much need to play the others, but sometimes I pull them out and they seem quite nice.

I think that the Generation company goes way back, like to the 1920s (?), and I would be very interested in hearing some bona fide experts elucidate more about the history.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

fintano wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:23 am I would be interested in hearing about the different eras of Generations.

I think that the Generation company goes way back, like to the 1920s (?), and I would be very interested in hearing some bona fide experts elucidate more about the history.
The Generation website claims they go back to the 1960s, which is clearly incorrect. I have a fair number of various types that appear to be going back, to judge by the labelling/lettering to the late 19th /early 20th century. They were the all metal type, both nickel silver and brass, until the plastic heads were introduced during the late 1940s/early50s.
My brain hurts

AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

The only difference I noticed between the 'Boho' Generation and the standard Generations was that the head was much tighter, and that the paint/wrap seemed to dampen the tone a bit, effectively having a slightly thicker wall.
Nathaniel James Dowell