Willie week 2023 : Tribute to Mary Bergin, 4th July

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Willie week 2023 : Tribute to Mary Bergin, 4th July

Post by Mr.Gumby »

For anyone finding themselves in West Clare in early July:

At the Willie Clancy Summer School a tribute is paid each year to a prominent musician, tutor or contributor to the school. It's always a feel good occasion, heaps of friends turning up to say nice things, tell a good story and play tunes for of with the person in question. And above all, show some real appreciation for a musician while they're still here.

This year James Kelly will present and lead a tribute to Mary Bergin.

My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Re: Willie week 2023 : Tribute to Mary Bergin, 4th July

Post by Mr.Gumby »

This is on today, at three.

Probably shouting into my own ech chamber, but there you have it.

Willie week progressing well with typical weather 16 Celsius, wind and occasional lashings of rain.

The committee had acoustic work done on Miltown Malbay Hall, it has lost its immediately recognisable hollow sound.

Mary Bergin makes an appearance on Tony Linnane's new recording, by way. If you are into that sort of thing.

I'll try post pics of the event but may need a bit of time, acts of god and all that.
My brain hurts

The Danish Piper
Tell us something.: I am a original a piper and play the Highland Pipes and Scottish smallpipes and have done so for 17 years
About 1,5 years ago i took up the Low Whistle and really enjoy that as well.

Post by The Danish Piper »

Seems like a fantastic event. I would have loved to be there.
I have heard a lot of Mary Bergins music.
When getting into whistle playing, her music was my first intro.
It would be nice to see some pictures at some point.
Playing music since 2006
Whistle and different sets of bagpipes.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

What can I say , it was lovely and, at times, genuinely moving..
My brain hurts

kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

No more worthy and deserving person for such a tribute. Very sad that I missed it.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

True, Kenny, and as Aibhlín McCrann pointed out, it was the first time a woman was awarded the honour.

There were some technical glitches at the start, while efforts were underway to get the computer going, former members of Ceoltóirí Laighean, James Kelly, Paddy Glackin, Micheál O mAllmhain and Mary herself filled a bit of time playing tunes.

After that tributes were made, stories told, nice words said, filling the room with love and appreciation. Old friends and musical partners joined for tunes, a presentation was made and a large group played for the final. More can be said but I'll have to be brief, things to do places to go.

Here are a few images:

with Tony Linnane and Mick Conneely:

Image Image

Dordán:

Image Image

Joannie Madden & Mick Conneeley:

the presentation:

thegathering, includingJames Kelly, Paddy Glackin, Tony Linnane, Catherine McEvoy, Angela Crehan, Mick Crehan, Roisín ni Donncha, Bríd O Donohue, Joannie Madden, Ann McAuliffe, Majella O Byrne, Micheál O mhAllmhain, Marion McCarthy, Geraldine Cotter, Cillian Boyd, Conor Connolly, a group of Mary's students led by Eimhear Flannery aa well as a few others I can't remember straight off.

Image Image
My brain hurts

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Nice to see a few of the old faces in the photos. Thanks Peter for that.

Great seeing Michael o'hAllmhain there. He taught me how to play the tin whistle over 45 years ago now.

Keep up the good work.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Stunning images, thanks Mr Gumby.

Sigh, taken back, once again, to 1974. My first trip back to the northern hemisphere (I was two year old when my family left for Australia). I get to Dublin and am immediately taking whistle lessons from Mary. A month or so later learning flute from Micheál O mhAllmhain in Listowel. And then a few days later lecturing CCE that they need to start making flutes to alleviate the obvious shortage! Bloody colonials, have they no sense of place?

Back in Australia and the following year, I'm giving whistle lessons in Canberra. And making a cassette tape like Micheál's to give the students something to work with. But with tunes more in line with Australian road conditions....

And working out how to make flutes. And many of my whistle students do really well, and then want to buy flutes.

And then working out how to make keyed flutes. And then some of the flute players want keyed flutes.

And then working out how to make better flutes. And some of the flute players then want better flutes.

I know. It's a cruel and predatory business model!

But think of it in these terms. One Australian from Canberra drops in, takes a few lessons, then goes back home and influences well over a thousand people (my whistle and flute students, plus I'm currently building flute No 1128). Now, presumably not every one of their students does something similar, but let's imagine some do, but perhaps in very different ways. Multiplied by their number of students per year and the number of years they've been teaching, what is the gross "trickle-down effect"? It's probably frightening! So here's to Mary, and Micheál, and people like them. No wonder the music is progressing.

I've had the pleasure of catching up with Mary twice since, once in Irish Week in the Catskills in the US, and once in Canberra where we played together on stage. That was nice.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:38 am This is on today, at three.

Probably shouting into my own ech chamber, but there you have it.
No, not at all. I may not post much here, but I do read :-)

edited to add: and enjoy the photographs.
barryanderson1952
Tell us something.: I am an old man playing low whistle for 20 years, great instrument. I need something to keep me alive. The whistles have that affect.

Post by barryanderson1952 »

I have been to Clare many years ago. Congrats to Mary, a splendid player & a true delight to listen to.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Been lurking here a long while (years) and as always love to see photos! Thank you for posting.