Pythagorean intonation whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nopiffle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Traditional Irish and Welsh flute and whistle player for years, now a bit rusty. Would like to get back into the music again.

Pythagorean intonation whistle?

Post by Nopiffle »

I'm looking for someone who could make me a high quality whistle either of silver or silver-plated, and in Pythagorean tuning. In C or Bb, haven't decided which yet. Ronaldo Rey says he doesn't do silver, but suggests I try Humphrey. I can't find a website for Humphrey, does anyone have contact info for him? It seems also that Lir make silver whistles, but presumably not with Pythagorean intonation? Any other suggestions?
Mr.Gumby

Re: Pythagorean intonation whistle?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A recent thread a bit further down the page:

Humphrey website
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

By Pythagorean I'm assuming you're referring to the tuning system also called "Five-Limit Just Intonation" or JI for short.

Each note the the scale is an exact beatless consonance with the tonic tone.

As you're probably aware it's how pretty much all bagpipes are tuned, due to each note of the scale being heard against the tonic.

In actual practice the difference between Equal Temperament and Just Intonation, on whistles, is small, and really only impacts three notes, the Major 3rd, Major 6th, and sharp 7th.

Here are the notes on a D whistle in JI with the variance from ET noted
D 0
E +4
F# -14
G -2
A +2
B -16
C# -14

C# is a special case because the same hole also has to produce C natural and to do this most whistlemakers make their C# flat as a rule.

Many whistlemakers with use JI as their normal practice, or some form of compromise between JI and ET.

In any case, here are two whistles of mine, each cost around $10 and both play great.

On the right is a whistle tuned to ET, on the left is a whistle tuned to JI.

As can be seen the only difference is a couple pieces of electrical tape :thumbsup:

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

By Pythagorean I'm assuming you're referring to the tuning system also called "Five-Limit Just Intonation" or JI for short.

I don't think it is actually quite the same as JI, Richard. See:

pythagorean vs just intonation
My brain hurts

Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Hmmm. Mr.Gumby, pancelticpiper, et al.: I have watched this thread, hoping that someone would ask the question. That did not happen. This leads me to the conclusion, that somehow in my education, I truly missed something... I find the whole Pythagorean intonation discussion fascinating, but any knowledge of it is missing in my history.

Ergo, I will ask said question, now: What is it that Pythagorean intonation allows to a performer, that standard tuning of the A440 variety, does not? Where and why is it used, and when? My American university experiences did not discuss, nor suggest any experimentation concerning Pythagorean intonation, on either the under-graduate or post-graduate level. Alas, I am ignorant of the issue. Any help will be appreciated.
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's not so much about A=440, it's about the intervals, the relations between the notes of the scale.

dolmetsch.com has more, possibly more than you want to know, on the various temperaments, see here
My brain hurts

Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I am not able to make that link work, Mr. Gumby. I guess my biggest query concerns any practical/musical reason for using this intonation, instead of the standard garden variety...
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Byll wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:18 pm I am not able to make that link work, Mr. Gumby.
It works perfectly fine for me.

The use and benefits depend on which temperament you're looking at. Look at the link a few posts back, that compares pythagorean and just intonation.

Form me the sweetening of the thirds (ET thirds are plain ugly) and pure harmonies in just temperament is important but various tunings and temperaments address slightly different issues.
My brain hurts

stringbed
Tell us something.: Playing woodwind instruments for over 70 years and deeply interested in their history, manufacture, technology, and performance practices.

Post by stringbed »

The Pythagorean and just tuning systems are defined solely in terms of pure intervals and are therefore not temperaments. The former is characterized by pure octaves and fifths, giving major thirds that are markedly wide. There is a corresponding meantone tuning with pure octaves and major thirds but narrow fifths. Just tuning includes all three pure intervals but the price paid for it is a pitch level that will wander during the course of a performance.

It is applicable to the voice and instruments with flexible tuning albeit with greater headache than is generally realized. Temperaments are schemes that sacrifice a bit of the purity of the fifths and/or thirds to provide systems for tuning fixed-pitch instruments that divide the octave 12 semitones. The now ubiquitous equal temperament is characterized by equally sized semitones but there are many alternatives (including the subdivision of the octave into more than 12 microtonal segments). There's a good explanation of the underlying problem with just intonation here.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:12 am
I don't think it is actually quite the same as JI, Richard. See:

pythagorean vs just intonation
Interesting, to wrap my head around it I would have to see a scale in cents.

I have a chart with 9 tunings but Pythagorean isn't included.

Pythagorean intervals show up on this excellent chart, along with the harmonic intervals of JI

https://www.kylegann.com/Octave.html

The oddest thing to me is the old traditional sharp 4th of the Highland pipes. (Nowadays pipers all use the Perfect 4th.)

What were they hearing? It's around the 43rd harmonic, which is very high and faint. Why use that rather than the powerful concordance of the Perfect 4th?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

pancelticpiper wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:10 am The oddest thing to me is the old traditional sharp 4th of the Highland pipes. (Nowadays pipers all use the Perfect 4th.)

What were they hearing? It's around the 43rd harmonic, which is very high and faint. Why use that rather than the powerful concordance of the Perfect 4th?
I'd never heard of this before. Was it kind of like a Lydian mode with a flattened seventh?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nopiffle
Tell us something.: Traditional Irish and Welsh flute and whistle player for years, now a bit rusty. Would like to get back into the music again.

Post by Nopiffle »

Thanks to all who've replied so far. Some interesting general technical points on Pythagorean and JI tuning. However, what I'm after is suggestions for anyone who might be able to actually make me a Pythagorean-tuned silver or silver-plated whistle. It's specifically for playing and performing with other instruments/singers in Pythagorean tuning. Does anyone know of a maker who'd potentially be interested?
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Nopiffle wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:37 am Thanks to all who've replied so far. Some interesting general technical points on Pythagorean and JI tuning. However, what I'm after is suggestions for anyone who might be able to actually make me a Pythagorean-tuned silver or silver-plated whistle. It's specifically for playing and performing with other instruments/singers in Pythagorean tuning. Does anyone know of a maker who'd potentially be interested?
I would recommend asking the individual makers that you are interested in. This seems like the type of thing that no one would advertise, but some might be willing to do. Humphrey and Sindt both do silver whistles. You’d be expanding your options by not restricting it solely to silver instruments. Is there a reason you are specifically after this material?
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Nopiffle wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:37 am Thanks to all who've replied so far. Some interesting general technical points on Pythagorean and JI tuning. However, what I'm after is suggestions for anyone who might be able to actually make me a Pythagorean-tuned silver or silver-plated whistle. It's specifically for playing and performing with other instruments/singers in Pythagorean tuning. Does anyone know of a maker who'd potentially be interested?
I can't currently cast solid silver tubes, but what about a whistle with a silver headjoint and silver foot ring, on a bronze body tube (which may also be oxidized for a handsome black finish)? If you can specify the offsets from equal temperament, I should be able to create something fitting your needs. Drop me a line via my website - https://www.barterloch.com/pennywhistles-1. I'm in the midst of making some updates to reflect our new headjoint design and solid bronze body tubes, so please forgive some of the formatting oddities. The second image on that page shows our updated bronze tube. I'm recording more sound samples and getting product photos of our revised design next Tuesday.