New whistle key or maker?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
armlann
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

New whistle key or maker?

Post by armlann »

I know these are broad and hard to answer but, here we are....

I like to sample the wide variety I can get here. If you were to get a new whistle, would you get another maker or another key from a maker you already have?

2nd - guidance on new keys. Once a pro on a different instrument but play the whistle for fun these days so not really likely to need to fit in to a session. I have a D and C that I like and a low D that I like too. Any suggestions yay or nay for new keys for a mostly solitary player.

As always, TIA!

Jon
В Правде новостей нет, а в Известиях нет правды.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: New whistle key or maker?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

High Eb
My brain hurts

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

It depends.

Do you have whistles you are extremely fond of from a particular maker? If so, it might be worth getting another whistle from that maker in a different key.

Do you want to try whistles from a new maker? If so, then do that. You know what you would want more than anyone else would.

As for keys, if I only had low D and soprano D and C, I would probably get something like a B, Bb, A, low F, or Low E, if it were only for playing alone at home. It is nice to have something by between the high and low end of the spectrum. Those keys are nice for home playing.

However, that also comes down to your own tastes and preference.
armlann

Post by armlann »

Mr. Gumby, why that key?

Sirchronique, I'm a bit of an equipment freak so I'm always after grass that's greener. New and different (hopefully better) always has an appeal. But I can see the joy some might feel with a whole role from one maker. C'mon lottery!

Jon
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

armlann wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:59 pm Mr. Gumby, why that key?

It's the favourite for solo playing/performance. The high Eb is clear, nimble and an effortless playing little racehorse.

Or,in other words, for this reason
My brain hurts

armlann

Post by armlann »

I get tired just listening to her sometimes (in a good way). Reminds me of a quote about Stevie Ray Vaughan, newbies hear him and want to pick up a guitar. Guitar players hear him and want to give theirs away. Goals.

Jon
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

At the moment (I took up low whistle relatively recently), always a new maker.

Partly because I love the low D, and partly because different makers' whistles create such a range of sounds. It still feels as if there's a lot to explore.

It might also be influenced by the fact that I bought a mid G early on, and whilst it's a perfectly nice whistle, I just can't love the tone. I haven't bought a D that I feel quite so ambivalent about, even the one that can be a right pain in the neck to play, so it's made me hesitant.

I'm hanging onto the G for the time being; there's an obstinate part of me that feels it must be my playing that's at fault and I ought to crack it, but I'll probably replace it eventually.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

If not careful and patient, this could waste a lot of money. I'd suggest watching hundreds of performed whistle reviews on YouTube, and read reviews that go into detail about tone, playability, wind requirements, chiff, and what happens when you play that whistle model towards the very highest and lowest notes and what happens, or where the whistle starts to fail or change character, and just how bad as the note response starts to change. Reviews that demonstrate a range of keys in one model, often with multiple other whistle makers/models used as a helpful comparison, are very helpful.

One whistle design will often not sound the same through the full range of keys, from high E to low D or even lower. A MAJOR consideration in how a whistle sounds and plays, is many whistle makers will use one bore size for many keys, and that adds to the variety of responses and tones you get, instead of providing a uniform whistle response across all the keys. Live performance reviewers will often point that out. For instance, if one bore size is used for soprano E, D and C, or alto A, G and F, the playability and tone may vary considerably. If for example the alto G is the perfect match for playability and tonal range, between bore size, key and whistle response, then the F and A key whistles with that same bore size will respond differently. That affects wind requirements, it affects tonal character, it affects loudness, it affects octave jumping, intonation sometimes too.

So with all that, and more, in mind, I would clarify what you want in tone and playability for each range (soprano, alto, low) and expect to find different makers and different models that will satisfy you, and expect that one maker may not.

If you buy a whistle to try it out, or just try one out by borrowing it, play it enough to really understand what you've got, and be clear on what is acceptable and what else you'd prefer. Different whistles often require adjustments in the players applied level of air and control, so don't be hasty. If you were given 25 different alto G whistle models on a table and given 5 minutes to try them out, you would not have time to really clarify how you like most of them, because you didn't have time to give the tryout process enough experience. Same thing goes for trying out a range of keys using one model of whistle; you need time to find the subtle and not so subtle variations.

Another consideration is that whistle designs (by quality makers) vary over time as the designs and construction methods improve. So for example a key of C whistle that is one month old, and a key of F whistle from the same maker that is 20 years old, if given the same model name, may not really be the same design or respond the same way.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

First- It depends how much you like the maker you have bought from before, and how adventurous you feel. Like if you have an MK, Goldie, etc as your low D and think its perfection, than there's no harm in getting more from that maker. But if you have one and like it, but have some things you dont love about it, you could try to find a maker that does better at those things. You will most likely find that the new maker while improving some things, created new things you dont like about it. That's just the joy of whistles lol. Over time you find the things you care about the most, and the things you can deal with that you dont like. I've had times where I bought a whistle thinking I knew what I wanted, then realizing what I really want when I didnt like it haha. In the end your maker of choice may change, or you will appreciate the one you already had more. So if you can afford it and are interested in trying more id go for it. I've saved a lot of money by buying used, then the ones I didnt like I resold for a similar price. Which usually loses some money but significantly less. And the ones I really like get to stay in my stash.

Second- My vote is for low F or G. Low F and G still have that low whistle vibe, but are easier to play quickly, and use less air. so it can be easier to play fast tunes. and if I just want a less low sound, they are less low. but I hate high whistles because they are too high and loud. So I'd never go above Bb if I can help it.

If you prefer high whistle over low, I'd maybe recommend a Bb or A. Which is a lower high whistle, where the low F is a higher low whistle.
RoberTunes wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:26 am One whistle design will often not sound the same through the full range of keys, from high E to low D or even lower.
I want to quote this because I think this is big and I didn't think of when making my post. While my Mk low F and D play exactly how they should, my Reyburn low D and F were way different. and my Burke A and F were way different. So its definitely worth looking into to make sure that if you buy from the same maker, that you will be getting what you expect.