Collection by maker

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
armlann
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Collection by maker

Post by armlann »

Another question with no good answer. For those of you that have a variety of whistles, are you moving to collect by maker (in a variety of keys or various D's if multiple makers)? Or do you have a variety of makers across a variety of keys? I know WOAD whispers just try this one, it'll be perfect.... I'm sure I'll keep the first I bought, another I bought in Ireland. Not sure otherwise. But generally, if you could, would you pick a maker and stick to them across whatever keys you need or keep a variety of makers? Just curious how other brains are working. TIA!

Jon
В Правде новостей нет, а в Известиях нет правды.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Collection by maker

Post by BigDavy »

With my WOAD I don't think I could stick to one maker.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

First I need to say that I'm a musician rather than a collector.

The whistle roll that I take to gigs was designed to have a slot for one whistle of each pitch.

At the time I had the roll made it was, going upwards from Low C:

C D Eb E F Gb G Ab A Bb B C Db D Eb.

Though it's true that since I've got rid of the whistles in the in-between pitches I rarely use (Ab, Gb, and Db) there are some available slots for duplicates.

It was cool when I had beautiful gleaming Burkes in several pitches! They looked great in the roll.

But really I don't care about who made a whistle, I only care about how it plays.

So my Low Whistles are mostly by Colin Goldie while the High Whistles are mostly by Generation.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

A bit of both. With some makers, such as John Sindt, I like their whistles a lot in every key in which they are available, so for those makers I buy them in every key (sometimes even multiples in each key). The same is true for old Generations. I tend to acquire a lot in every key, because I like how they play in every key in which they are available.

For some makers, I think their design works better with some keys than for others, so I might only buy only either all of the low, or alto, or soprano whistles from that maker. Even if their design is very consistent from key to key, I might find that those attributes work best with specific pitches.

Basically, I acquire whistles if I like how they sound and play. I will only try to acquire sets in every key if I like how that maker makes every key, which is extremely rare for me. In fact, I’ve never encountered any maker who offers keys ranging from high D to low D (or beyond) whose work I like a lot in all of those keys. I like high and low Burkes, but I don’t like his middle keys like A and G, because I don’t like how the Burke characteristics fit in that range of the frequency spectrum. I like the middle keys of Carbony, like A, G, and F, but I don’t like the Carbony as much in low D or nearby pitches very much. Etc.

So, to make a long answer short, I don’t aim to collect all pitches from any given maker. I aim to collect whistles that I like and enjoy playing. The only cases where I am to acquire everything from a specific maker seems to be when that maker only offers a narrow range of pitches for which their design works very well, such as Sindt, who only offers high and medium keys, or Lambe, who only offered low and medium keys.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I'm always on a quest to try different makers, because you never know if a maker you didn't try yet could be your new favorite. My most recent try was Gary Humphrey, and I really like it (was a low G). I'm tempted to try some others. But my issue is I already have a good set of whistles that I like. VS before when I had whistles I wasn't totally happy with, I was always ready to try and find one I liked more. So I don't 'need' to find new makers. But its still fun so when I see a good deal used on something to try I jump on it.

What happened for me was I got a whistle I liked, but then I didn't like the next whistle from that maker as much. So I tried another maker, repeat. And once I got one that really 'stuck' I have no need to sell it or get another whistle in that key (unless it was to try a maker that I found something used for). The makers that stick I may get a few whistles from. but theres so many good makers that I cant have too many per maker without having too many whistles per key.

I try to not have too many whistles per key just because it feels like a waste. The prime example of this was my Goldie low D. Excellent whistle. But it cost too much to sit on my wall while I played my MK, so it got sold to a member here who wanted it. But if money wasn't a thing, I'd definitely have an insane stash because every now and then I wish I could experience that Goldie tone again. But just the way I work, I will generally always play the one of that key that I like the most, with very little exception. but what key I feel like playing will vary so the others still get played.