FS: Wilson Woods (Ted Wilson) Blackwood D Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

FS: Wilson Woods (Ted Wilson) Blackwood D Whistle

Post by kkrell »

Selling a couple of things, so that I can buy other things.

Wilson Woods (Ted Wilson, fife maker, had apprenticed to Roy Seaman) blackwood whistle high-D w/tuning slide w/soft holster case. Made around 2002. I believe Dale Wisely reviewed it at the time, either in a newsletter or on the original Chiff & Fipple site.

While it comes with a soft case (with belt loops) with 2 slots to carry the whistle head & body, separated. Maybe this was for Civil War reenactment, since he also made fifes. I don't recommend disassembly.

USD $185 + $10 shipping in the U.S.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: FS: Wilson Woods (Ted Wilson) Blackwood D Whistle

Post by kkrell »

Review from Chiff and Fipple newsletter 2002 by Dale Wisely.
Your mileage may vary.
WILSON WOODEN HIGH D REVIEW

One of the most thrilling things about doing Chiff & Fipple is when I hear from a total stranger who sends me a whistle he or she has made, out of the blue, and it turns out to be a gem. In the case of Wilson Winds, by Ted Wilson, it turns out to be one of the finest high D whistles I've played. Who is this guy? I don't know. Ted Wilson. Tuscon, Arizona. That's all I know. I'm getting more information soon.

So, Ted sends me the box and I open it and unwrap the whistle and I'm not believing it. My first thought was, "Yikes-a-hootie! This guy has made an excellent copy of a Chris Abell whistle!" In fact, I said that aloud in the break room at my office and several of my co-workers got up and left.

This whistle does look like an Abell. Dark wood and pretty silver mouthpiece (north of the window only), tuning slide, and ring on the end of the shaft. But then, one starts to note differences, which become even clearer when one side-by-sides the Abell and the Wilson. The Wilson shaft is notably wider, so it's a wider bore whistle. The tuning slide (very well made) is configured a bit differently. The dimensions of the window and the blade are different from the Abell. The mouthpiece has a curve for the lower lip (the Abell does not). Although clearly based roughly on the overall Abell design, this whistle differs enough that it should not be thought of as a copy, in my opinion.

This is also true when it is played. Because of the wider bore, it has a rounder tone, closer to O'Riordan than Abell. It has considerably more wind noise and other undertones than the Abell, so it is a less pure tone. Less pure is a bad thing in the pharmaceutical business but not necessarily a bad thing in instrument tones. It has character.

The response is quick. It holds up well across 2 octaves. It moves smoothly from lo-to-hi octave and is easy to control. The pitch varies little with changes in pressure.

At this point, I have nothing else to share in the way of details about this maker, but I should have something for you for the next issue. I want to know about other keys, prices, etc. Stay tuned. In the meantime, Ted Wilson's email is wilsonwoods@hotmail.com. As far as I know, there's not a website yet.
kkrell

WITHDRAWN: Wilson Woods (Ted Wilson) Blackwood D Whistle

Post by kkrell »

Withdrawn from sale.