3D Printing, Modelling and Microtonal

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: 3D Printing, Modelling and Microtonal

Post by PB+J »

Terry McGee wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:21 am We live in exciting times, PB+J. Sure there are limitations to this technology at the moment, but who knows where it will lead.
Indeed! I think it will likely get better. I'm still wondering about the Galeon 3d printed flute the IrishFluteStore had for sale not long ago.

https://www.irishflutestore.com/product ... rish-flute
trill

Post by trill »

PaulJF wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:21 pm . . . I am open to any other ideas . . .
Greetings,

I had a job once where a 3D printer was used to make some prototypes.

How is the bore in your flute shaped ? I ask because some of my instruments use "perturbations" in the bore.

I'm sure machining "perturbations" is hard. When printing, probably much easier.

trill
PaulJF
Tell us something.: Been playing Irish flute on and off for maybe 30 years. But recently getting into it in a big way. On the lookout for a decent fully keyed wooden flute which is what brought me to this forum.

Post by PaulJF »

Currently the bore is the usual straight taper from the collar to the foot as seen on most irish wooden flutes.
Im not sure what you mean by perturbations but theoretically you should be able to print any shape to the bore that you can design in a CAD program.
If you are talking golf ball like dimples yea that should be possible (probably easier to paint stuff like that on in a program like Zbrush.
For SLS printing there are pretty much no limitations, For FDM PLA printing (which is what I am using) there will be physicals limitations with regard to necessity of support of overhangs and holes etc.
and the subsequent physical access and capability to remove those supports within the bore.
In fact I think what I will do next is investigate printing with minimal or no supports as they do really mess up the holes.
trill

Post by trill »

PaulJF wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:49 am . . . Im not sure what you mean by perturbations but theoretically you should be able to print any shape to the bore that you can design in a CAD program. . .
"Perturbations" are deviations from simple cylindrical or conical shapes.

I first hear about them at a music festival. Two guys were playing these giant (4', 6') recorders. I started asking how they got the finger holes so close. Their answer was "bore pertrubations".

Here are some references:

https://www.flute-a-bec.com/evolutionpercegb.html

https://barthopkin.com/books-cds/air-co ... nt-design/
PaulJF
Tell us something.: Been playing Irish flute on and off for maybe 30 years. But recently getting into it in a big way. On the lookout for a decent fully keyed wooden flute which is what brought me to this forum.

Post by PaulJF »

Wow, that's awesome. I see, thankyou for the education.
I am both fascinated and terrified that I know so little about how flutes / whistles/ recorders etc are made.
but for sure, 3D Printing can do stuff like this with ease no problem.
As a side note, I did use the WIdesigner program to help validate hole positions on my flute and I noticed that it was possible to have multiple bore tapers but i didn't investigate further.
I suppose I could have a play around with that. The thing is, this 3D printing a flute malarkey was supposed to be me learning about 3D printing and how to use the 3D printers at work not me learning about how to make flutes!
trill

Post by trill »

PaulJF wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:49 am . . . The thing is, this 3D printing a flute malarkey was supposed to be me learning about 3D printing . . . not me learning about how to make flutes!
vive la detour !
Jeebo
Tell us something.: My dad used to whistle quite a lot when I was younger. Planning to try it out myself, not sure where to start

Post by Jeebo »

PaulJF wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:49 am The thing is, this 3D printing a flute malarkey was supposed to be me learning about 3D printing and how to use the 3D printers at work not me learning about how to make flutes!
2 birds with one stone :D
-Jim
Mainly target shooting and hiking on my free time
Fav rifle: Colt M4 rifles CCW:Glock 43x
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

PaulJF wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:33 am Hi
I was perusing the forum and saw this thread. Thought this may be of interest.

I had a go at printing an irish style flute
i started off with an stl file I found on line but have since redesigned the whole thing.

FDM printed in normal plastic PLA (metallic effect PLA)
no finishing (deliberately) except removing supports. so holes and embouchure are very rough

it dosent have the responsiveness nor the volume or tonal range or dynamics of a good wooden flute
but it sounds pretty damn good. as least as good if not better than most of the "practice" flutes I have (some which cost up to $£300)
I wouldn't have an issue playing it at a session

I am just now printing a slightly tweaked "tuning barrel" (it takes forever to print this stuff)
once done I will post some sound files so you can hear the thing.

I recommend printing the embouchure with a cover of one extrusion width, and sanding it flush with the surface to get a nice sharp edge. When I reconstructed this flute, I got the best results from using a resin printer for the embouchure section, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjAWrFqUrLI