Whistler mural

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistler mural

Post by Mr.Gumby »

In the wake of the success of The Waterford Walls and something similar in the Limerick, all over Ireland murals are popping up on empty walls.
Here's one that has gone up during the week, in Parliament street, Ennistymon. A little contribution to the iconography of the whistle.

Image Image Image

It was early on a sleety Saturday morning, I was on my way to a cappuccino and crêpe across the street and was not carrying a camera. Phone pictures will have to do for now.
Two session scenes have gone up in a laneway in Ennis recently, I'll post those at some stage, no whistlers there though, wall to wall flutes, fiddles and boxes.
My brain hurts

Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Whistler mural

Post by Loren »

Peter, as always, thanks for sharing.

Question: Do you think think this particular piece will be considered controversial by the locals? Not looking to start an off-limits political discussion, however the piece is clearly making multiple statements and I’m just wondering how you, as a local, feel other area residents will react - Positively, Negatively, Neutrally? Just curious, no agenda.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

This sort of thing goes through a planning process and permission was granted.

Can't imagine this whistler generating controversy (I fail to see anything controversial, to be honest. It's a modern take on the traditional Strawboy/Mummers/Wren boy appearance)
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
My brain hurts

Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks for that Peter, all very interesting.

I wasn’t aware of the Mummer’s hat and it’s history, so that information was educational and appreciated, particularly because our nation’s oldest, and possibly most interesting parade is The Mummers Parade in my hometown of Philadelphia, which I went to quite often as a child. Obviously related only in a distant and derivative way, but the connection is fascinating to me none the less.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummers_Parade
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The Dingle wren on St Stephen's day is very much alive. Raucous stuff always and great outfits. I can see the link to the Philly parade.

Here is one member of the Sraid Eoin wren, which has people like Aoife Granville and Charlie Piggot among their ranks:

Strawboys invading after a wedding is always fun tpp. And there seems to be a resurgence of Mummers too, saw a bit on the tellie recently about North County Dublin Mummers, with (to my surprise) several people among them I know( See here, starting at 13.15)
My brain hurts

Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Ah yes, I can see the influences of your various groups on our parade more clearly now after watching that video. Looks and sounds like fun.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Nice!

Where the no loading lines are cropped out, it looks as if s/he has just stepped on a huge egg yolk and exploded it.
The Danish Piper
Tell us something.: I am a original a piper and play the Highland Pipes and Scottish smallpipes and have done so for 17 years
About 1,5 years ago i took up the Low Whistle and really enjoy that as well.

Post by The Danish Piper »

I did not know anything about mummers and that tradition until now.
Thanks for sharing.

That hat grapped my attention, so I looked to see what else I could find.

I came across this article about The Strawboys of Irelands Northwest.
http://www.irishletter.com/straw-boys

Maby others will find it interesting too.
Playing music since 2006
Whistle and different sets of bagpipes.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

This thread has taken a bit of an unexpected direction. We'll run with it, for now .

Anyhow, a lot has been written about Wrenboys, Strawboys and Mummers. Probably best not to conflate them, perhaps regard hem as branches from the same tree.

Here's one article Irish folk drama.

In some areas they used wicker animal masks as disguise, these are great as well.

Photographer Grainne Quinlan has a brilliant series of strawboy images, worth a look: here

My brain hurts

The Danish Piper
Tell us something.: I am a original a piper and play the Highland Pipes and Scottish smallpipes and have done so for 17 years
About 1,5 years ago i took up the Low Whistle and really enjoy that as well.

Post by The Danish Piper »

Hi Mr. Gumby
That an informative article. I think it is a good thing to keep traditions alive.
Those costumes are actually a little scary. It seems that music plays a big role, in those events.

I was wondering if there are any traditional tunes, that are usually played for such events.
Playing music since 2006
Whistle and different sets of bagpipes.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Although the Dingle wren groups have a more or less specific repertoire associated with them, for most strawboys, mummers and wrenboys any old tune will do these days, I suppose.
There are several jigs called 'the Mummers' so that may be a sign there were, at one time, specific tunes in some locations.

Na Piobairi Uilleann's Notes and narratives series has this talk: Fingal and its mummers
My brain hurts

Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

When I lived up in Canberra we had a set of tunes we knew collectively as "The Wran Tunes". I don't remember why or who might have called them that. Doesn't ring any bells with anyone?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There was a set of whistle tunes on De Danan's second recording that Charlie Piggot brought in from the Dingle wren: the Bank of the Quay and Crucaharan Cross.. Everybody took them up at the time. So that well be the ones.
My brain hurts

Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Ah, good thinking - the time would be right. I'll check them out tomorrow. It's getting late at night here now so not the time to traumatise the neighbours. It was 36ºC here today, so everyone will have their windows open! We're playing outdoors tomorrow for St Paddy's, but fortunately they're predicting "low twenties". I do hope they are right!

I don't remember much 36ºC in back in 1974 while riding our bikes from Limerick up to Gort, and then back down the coast road. We did get pretty seriously rained on though....
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts