Wooden whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The Danish Piper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a original a piper and play the Highland Pipes and Scottish smallpipes and have done so for 17 years
About 1,5 years ago i took up the Low Whistle and really enjoy that as well.

Wooden whistles

Post by The Danish Piper »

I am considering buying a wooden whistle and came across this maker from Poland.

https://www.flute.pl/whistle/

I think they seems well made.
Does anyone has any experience, with that maker?

What is your experience with wooden whistles in general?
Playing music since 2006
Whistle and different sets of bagpipes.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Wooden whistles

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The Danish Piper wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:51 pm
Does anyone has any experience, with that maker?

What is your experience with wooden whistles in general?

YMMV but I have yet to come across a wooden whistle I would like to have/play.

That said, the maker of the whistles you linked above made half decent noises in the clips on his website. Would need to hear those whistles put through their paces properly before forming any sort of an opinion though.

At the end of the day, when it comes to deciding the suitability of a particular make, it all depends on what you are looking for, what music and what style you are going to put on your instruments.
My brain hurts

Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Another thing with wooden whistles is the upkeep. You need to oil it fairly often, and dry it after use to keep it from cracking. VS my metal whistles, are lucky to get cleaned every now and then lol. I just pick them up, play them, put them down, with no worry. When I had a wooden flute, I wouldnt bother picking it up to play because I'd have to clean it after so that I dont store it wet.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi DanishPiper
I have an alto G in maple by this maker. It is well made and easy to tune. The higher upper octave takes a bit more push, but it doesn't screech.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
The Danish Piper
Tell us something.: I am a original a piper and play the Highland Pipes and Scottish smallpipes and have done so for 17 years

Thanks for the advices everyone.
It is much appreciated to hear your experiences.
BigDavy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:57 pm Hi DanishPiper
I have an alto G in maple by this maker. It is well made and easy to tune. The higher upper octave takes a bit more push, but it doesn't screech.

David
Nice to hear you have experience whit that dealer.
Since I need a wooden whistle for a specific purpose, this could be the way to go.
Playing music since 2006
The Danish Piper

I ended up buying some of his whistles.
I must say, that I like them quite a lot.

They dont take much air, they are easy to blow on the high scale and I think they have a good sound.

The maker pointet out, to oil a bit often in the beginning and the later in intervals as neded. He also said to be careful to wipe the inside after playing.
So they obviously recuire more maintenance than one in metal.
Despite that, I am very happy with them.

I have not tried many different whistles, so my comparison ground is rather small.
I have an old Clarke and I feel that these new wooden whistles are better in air efficiency. Their tone is also more round or very slightly mellow, which is something I like.
Playing music since 2006
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

For future reference (and buying, of course), delrin is a good compromise and quite a few makers use it. My current “go to” is a Paul Busman in delrin - it is full of awesomeness! Just played it almost constantly on a two-day reenactment gig.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

I just searched for an MB whistle review on YouTube and couldn't find anything. Not familiar with that maker, but after going through the website,
I do get a feeling of confidence that the whistles are well made and the maker knows what they're doing, so probably AT LEAST intermediate
quality and likely better. Would love to see a performance review for tone, playability, alto G/F as well as soprano, price, comparisons with
other whistles, etc., as usual for introducing a new brand to the market.
The Danish Piper

plunk111 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:31 am For future reference (and buying, of course), delrin is a good compromise and quite a few makers use it. My current “go to” is a Paul Busman in delrin - it is full of awesomeness! Just played it almost constantly on a two-day reenactment gig
Nice!
To use them for reenactment events, are what made me look up these whistles in the first place - Medieval music.
So delrin may not be the best option here.

It is a bit off topic, but in general, why would one choose delrin over metal?
(I have never tried a delrin whistle)
Playing music since 2006
The Danish Piper

RoberTunes wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:38 am I just searched for an MB whistle review on YouTube and couldn't find anything. Not familiar with that maker, but after going through the website,
I do get a feeling of confidence that the whistles are well made and the maker knows what they're doing, so probably AT LEAST intermediate
quality and likely better. Would love to see a performance review for tone, playability, alto G/F as well as soprano, price, comparisons with
other whistles, etc., as usual for introducing a new brand to the market.
I dont think they are well known.
About a year ago, some folks from Poland at a reenactment event, told me about them.
Sometime in the (hopefully near) future, I will make some recordings with them and link to them here.
Playing music since 2006