Boxes of basic D whistles for beginner class

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Boxes of basic D whistles for beginner class

Post by Jayhawk »

So, in days past, I've ordered boxes of clarke meg whistles for beginner's whistle classes, but I just found out they're no longer making them. I'm teaching a beginner whistle class at an upcoming festival, and I had planned to provide a free whistle with the cost of the class...but I don't want to increase the cost of the class too much with an expensive whistle (um, expensive like a Generation or something like that) unless you can get a bulk discount for 25 or so whistles.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Re: Boxes of basic D whistles for beginner class

Post by Flexismart »

I have used Walton's Little Black Tin Whistle for groups and classes.
If you call these folks with an order of 25, you may get a better price than $5.99USD ea.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-tr ... istle-in-d

I had to tweak a few of them, but on average, they work just fine for beginners.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Bulk whistles @ Feadóg teo

I am sure there are more, similar offerings. Some, distributors or shops, may still have the odd box of Megs on the shelf, if you are into that sort of thing.

Worth checking ebay, etsy etc as well.
My brain hurts

Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Thank you Mr. Gumby! Can't beat a Feadog at essentially five USD per whistle in the 10 pack. Google can be a fickle mistress sometimes, and your Google-fu is clearly superior to mine.

Eric
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

And much to my wife's dismay, they appeared!

Tuned 5 of them since they were all sharp right out of the box (I assume the heads are put on as far as they go), but it does make you wonder why they don't come, well, in tune. Thankfully, with a twist using a rubber thingie from my kitchen (the blue thing), tuning took faith and some force but really is pretty easy (PSA - no need for hot water). That said, Feadogs are lovely playing whistles IMHO and a much better choice than my originally planned megs for a beginner's whistle class.

Eric
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Some friends and I have a long-running list of Sensory Assaults For Autistic People: The Most Hideous Imaginable.

My suggestion of being at a pantomime with an audience of 700 primary school kids always gets a lot of votes, but I think Eric's photo of a box of high D whistles for a beginner's class has just wiped it off the face of the earth! :lol: