Help Tracking Down Whistle Book published in Ireland 1970

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bill Wolfe
antispam: No

Help Tracking Down Whistle Book published in Ireland 1970

Post by Bill Wolfe »

This is a crazy long shot, but I'm trying to identify and if possible find a copy of an Irish whistle book that was published back in the 1970s. This was one of the first Irish music books I acquired when I started playing Irish music around 1976. I loaned it out and it never came back.

All I remember is it that the title was in Irish; the cover was green and white and had a photo of a neatly dressed, well groomed older gent playing a whistle; among the tunes included were the jigs The Lark on the Strand and The Cow That Ate the Blanket; and the introductory text, all in English, warned against too closely mimicking other people's playing with the maxim "A second-hand player is a second-rate player." This last bit stuck with me through the years, and I'd love to be able to quote and properly cite it.

That's not much to go on, but maybe someone with a massive accumulation of Irish music books going back 40-50 years might know what I'm on about.

Cheers,

Bill
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Help Tracking Down Whistle Book published in Ireland 1970

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There weren't that many around at that time so most likely the collection Ag Déanamh Ceoil which does have the tunes you mention included. It's blue though and has Micho Russell on the cover. I can make a pdf available, if necessary. Available on ebay too. although presently at silly pirces (just watch it until a cheap one comes along).

It was more or less an accompanying volume to the Tutor for Feadóg Stáin by Michéal Ó hAlmhain and Séamus MacMathuna. A forum member scanned it and made it available online here

Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
My brain hurts

ecadre
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

I'm keeping my copy :-)
Bill Wolfe

Post by Bill Wolfe »

Thanks, Mr. G! That would be it! PM on the way!

BW