Anyone tried the Kerry Busker low D whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TheSinger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing whistles for many years, and figured it was time for me to join the forum. I’ve learned much from reading here, and would like to join the party

Anyone tried the Kerry Busker low D whistle?

Post by TheSinger »

Hello! I know there are other posts in this forum about this, but they all seem to be pretty dead, so I’m trying here instead. Has anyone by any chance tried this low D whistle made by Phil Hardy, cold the busker?
I’m considering getting it, just because I’m curious . So I figured I would do some research before I just jump in. The Internet seems to be pretty quiet about it, so I thought I might try here. Anyone?
SevenStarString
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm a long time whistle and flute player, I'm interested in forum topics and I'm in search of a new flute to purchase [used]. Thank you, Mark

Re: Anyone tried the Kerry Busker low D whistle?

Post by SevenStarString »

Hello, I purchased a Busker Low D when they were made available last May. I have a Busker, MK pro and a Burke Brass Low D. I find that I play the Busker the most of the three. It's comfortable to play, it has a pure tone with decent volume and has a quick response. It has its quirks, and it took a while to figure out how to get the best tone from it, but I guess that is common for any instrument. It can be prone to clogging, but generally it's not an issue once it is warmed up. Overall, I really enjoy the tone and ease of play. Very happy with it. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions I'll try to respond.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

The Busker should be fairly similar to the older Thunderbird low D. Its just a wider longer mouthpiece, which should help with moisture issues and be louder. How hard/easy it over blows, and tone, should be very similar. Unless he changed more than he said he did in the videos when he was making them a while back. But in his original busker videos, thats what he said he changed vs the thunderbirds he was replacing.

This isnt the most useful post but may be helpful lol. My main point is that you can also find reviews of the much older thunderbird low d, and it should be very similar to the busker.
TheSinger
Tell us something.: I have been playing whistles for many years, and figured it was time for me to join the forum. I’ve learned much from reading here, and would like to join the party

Post by TheSinger »

SevenStars: thank you, that does help. How would you say it compares to the MK, aspessialy when it comes to weight? And have you by any chance tried the busker low F, and if so, how would you say it compares to the low D?
Narzog: yeah, that kind of helps, haha :) I used to have the last thunderbird low D, but ended up celling it. I am wondering if the busker Low D is more freeblowing, and if so I would concidder getting it. I really liked the busker F as an "relaxation whistle", because it requiered very little of me as a player
SevenStarString
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm a long time whistle and flute player, I'm interested in forum topics and I'm in search of a new flute to purchase [used]. Thank you, Mark

Post by SevenStarString »

Let's see if I can answer, as far as the weight compared to my MK pro, the Busker is lighter and less cumbersome to hold. There's something about the roundness of the MK that if I don't play it daily it fatigues my hand. I can play the Busker all day long without fatigue. The Mk has more back pressure and more chiff. The Busker has a surprisingly rich tone with warmth to it. Very appealing but like I said in the last response it took me a while to get that tone. I think when I decided to purchase the whistle I had watched a video from Phil Hardy where he stated that he was basically going back to the Overton design with the Busker. I think that had some influence in my decision to try it. I've never played an Overton or Goldie but I am pleased with the Busker. I did look into purchasing an F Busker but the exchange rate wasn't favorable at the time. Lark in the Morning had the low F and G in stock for around $185.00 but last I checked were sold out. If the pound falls again I'll probably order one. Also thinking about trying a Reyburn as he lives in driving distance from me. Cheers