Blowing machine

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
stringbed
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing woodwind instruments for over 70 years and deeply interested in their history, manufacture, technology, and performance practices.

Re: Blowing machine

Post by stringbed »

Moof wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:55 am I stumbled across this the other day:

https://tinyurl.com/bdew69aw

I haven't seen one with a mouthpiece quite like that before. The body does appear to have a slightly conical bore, but I don't know what the 3 stamped on it means. It looks as if the damaged joint might leak a lot of air, so it's an interesting but probably not functional whistle.
This whistle is now in my hands. A transient seal was easily placed on the leak and it is fully functional. I’ll be starting a separate discussion about it in the next day or two.
Last edited by stringbed on Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Oh, that's great. Let us know how it sounds.

I was a bit tempted myself, but was worried I wouldn't be able to play it without having to find a way to solder it or something.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Woah, looking forward to learning more, stringbed. Well done for grabbing it!

Charles Mathieu gets a mention in the New Langwill Index, incidentally. I can supply the entry if needed.

Ah, and of particular interest: "by 1894 taken over by C. Ullman".

And when we check on Ullman, we find he was the maker of Atlus flutes - metal recorders, zinc flagolets, etc.
Last edited by Terry McGee on Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
stringbed
Tell us something.: Playing woodwind instruments for over 70 years and deeply interested in their history, manufacture, technology, and performance practices.

Post by stringbed »

Terry McGee wrote: Woah, looking forward to learning more, stringbed.
The sneak preview is that it is an excellent instrument.
Charles Mathieu gets a mention in the New Langwill Index, incidentally. I can supply the entry if needed.
I have a copy of the NLI (which also mentions me!) in storage and would be grateful if you could spare me the hunt by forwarding the snippet about Mathieu.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

OK.....

Mathieu, Charles WWI fl Paris a1890-early 20c

Flute, cane flute, clarinet, ocarina, 'ocari-flute', 'Multiflûte' and other metal flageolet-type WWIs described as 'Systeme Ch. Mathieu'; by 1894 taken over by C. Ullman. See also Hercule.

Mark: [a] MATHIEU / A PARIS /(Maltese cross)
(b) CH. MATHIEU / MARQUE DEPOSEE / (lyre) / PARIS
PATENT: 1882 (f): 'flûte-favourite'; 1890 (f) #209823: cane flute in metal.
EXHIBITION: Leipzig 1891 (metal ocarina); Chicago 1893: Paris 1900.

Presumably, when they say "by 1894 taken over by C. Ullman", that meant ownership was taken over by Ullman, not the work, as he is listed from after 1890 to early 20c, and managed to exhibit in Paris in 1900.

And a reminder of my note further up: "And when we check on Ullman, we find he was the maker of Atlus flutes - metal recorders, zinc flagolets, etc.
stringbed

Post by stringbed »

Terry McGee wrote: Presumably, when they say "by 1894 taken over by C. Ullman", that meant ownership was taken over by Ullman, not the work, as he is listed from after 1890 to early 20c, and managed to exhibit in Paris in 1900.

And a reminder of my note further up: "And when we check on Ullman, we find he was the maker of Atlus flutes - metal recorders, zinc flagolets, etc.
Thanks! The Ullman/Atlas connection is really important.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Yeah, the similarities between the instruments was bothering me.

Looking forward to you expanding on "The sneak preview is that it is an excellent instrument." It looks so nice it would be a disappointment if it turned out to be a load of rubbish!
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Idly wondering whether Stringbed has one of these in his collection...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204414013529

Maybe it holds the answer to the design issue, Terry?
stringbed

Post by stringbed »

Moof wrote: Idly wondering whether Stringbed has one of these in his collection...

In mint condition.

RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

stringbed wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:41 am
Moof wrote: Idly wondering whether Stringbed has one of these in his collection...

In mint condition.
Is that an original Generation Egyptian Ambidextrous Whistle with the Sphinx's Riddle Key tuning? I've seen bellydance troupes use those in 9/7 time choreography. Really sends the veils flying.
Moof

Post by Moof »

stringbed wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:41 am

In mint condition.

:lol: :lol:
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Moof wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:55 am Maybe it holds the answer to the design issue, Terry?
Indeed, Moof, I think I can now see where I've been getting it all wrong...

And Ebay just chimed in, urging me to "Give it another look. Let's make it yours"

And then Chiff & Fipple tells me:

"This page isn’t workingforums.chiffandfipple.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500"

Sigh. I might just go back to bed....
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Terry McGee wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:16 pm And then Chiff & Fipple tells me:

"This page isn’t workingforums.chiffandfipple.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500"

Sigh. I might just go back to bed....
We had an update on the 1st, but any ensuing inconveniences should have been cleared up by now. My official word is: I'm at a loss.

EDIT: Just had this happen to me with the line immediately above, too, and I recognize the phenomenon and know the way out: Hit Submit, get rejected, back-click to the original page, hit refresh, and your intended post will show. It was happening in certain Admin-only channels but since it didn't seem to apply elsewhere among the public aspects of the Board, we could put up with it. This, we can't. Time for Admin doings.

The glitch seems not to apply to editing the post, and is inconsistent in any case.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician