Suggestions for a travel and practice whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CoastWinds
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Beginner using only Susato whistles. Plays guitar and can be found in classical guitar forums under the moniker of CoastStrings. Absolutely NOT on Facebook.

Suggestions for a travel and practice whistle?

Post by CoastWinds »

I’m finding myself in need of a travel and practice whistle to just toss in my backpack. It doesn’t need to be loud obviously and I think a quiet(er) whistle would be a plus.

I'm currently considering:
  • A Dixon Trad D nickel: Inexpensive. I'm intrigued by the claims that this has a "sweet" tone and that it's easier to play. I wonder if it's reasonably durable.
  • A Susato Oriole D: A little more expensive.
  • A Susato Kildare V-Series D: The most expensive choice. Maybe it's more than I need.
Any pros/cons I should be aware of? Or can you suggest something else? I’ve only played Susato Kildare whistles to-date.
trill

Re: Suggestions for a travel and practice whistle?

Post by trill »

I've had great luck with a Susato D.

Very tough plastic.

I've taken it to Death Valley, the Grand Canyon, various caves in Ill + Mo.

As whistles go, Susato's are loud. They can be muted easily enough for neighbor-friendly practice.

Happy hiking !

trill
Alaskamike
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

Post by Alaskamike »

A Dixon DX-005 (or even a DX-004) is a solid all-around whistle that isn't very loud. If you want something that can break down into two pieces, a Clare is a good low-cost option, and a Mack Hoover 2-piece is a very quiet travel whistle.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Dixon ABS, one or 2 piece, fairly quiet, with a nice tone, & quite cheap. :thumbsup: :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

It’s really impossible to answer without knowing how you like a whistle to sound and play. We can only name off whistles we have that we enjoy. However, we all blow differently, have a different set of preferences, and have a different ideal sound.

What sound do you like? How do you like for a whistle to play?
Average Whistler
Tell us something.: Recovering Whistle Obsessive Acquisition Disorder sufferer. Started too late in life to be great, but good enough for my own enjoyment. Recently started learning Irish flute.

Post by Average Whistler »

I travel for business, and I bring a Dixon DX001 one-piece polymer whistle with me, primarily because it does not set off the metal detector at the airport. It's funny how pipe-shaped metallic objects make airport security nervous. Anyways, if you are not traveling by air or any other mode that requires your luggage to be X-rayed, then any whistle can be your travel whistle. The basic rules for a travel whistle are that it is cheap, non-sentimental and can be replaced easily in the event of loss, bending or theft.

-AW
CoastWinds
Tell us something.: Beginner using only Susato whistles. Plays guitar and can be found in classical guitar forums under the moniker of CoastStrings. Absolutely NOT on Facebook.

Post by CoastWinds »

Thanks all for your suggestions!
Sirchronique wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:40 pmWhat sound do you like? How do you like for a whistle to play?
It's difficult for me to answer since all I've known are Susato Kildare whistles.

I'm wondering if there's something out there that's even easier to play than a Kildare even if it isn't loud. I understand that some whistles can hit a 3rd octave.
Average Whistler wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:03 pmI bring a Dixon DX001 one-piece polymer whistle with me, primarily because it does not set off the metal detector at the airport.
Hadn't thought about that. Thanks for bringing it up!
belayatron
Tell us something.: Been learning the tin whistle for just under 2 years (as of Jan 2020) and wanting to learn more! Currently own about 11 High D whistles, 2 Low Ds, 2 Flutes and favourite tune is probably off to California with a general love of Irish Hornpipes.

Post by belayatron »

Just to upvote the suggestion of getting a tunable whistle that breaks into 2 roughly equal pieces to make it smaller/pocket sized for when you don’t want to carry your backpack.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I'm pretty sure I stepped on my dixon d trad, because the end is an oval lol. Still plays well lol.

I havnet played a susato high D but I've played the kildaire low g and low E and they have an excellent tuning curve which gets my approval.

My 2 cents is if you have only played Susato because you really like them, you dont need to deviate and try others. If you have things you dont like about them, it could be worth trying others to fix those disliked traits (and probobly introduce new issues haha).

Pretty much every whistle I'd consider advising over a susato for how they play, would be a worse travel whistle and cost a lot.

For a travel whistle susato will be hard to beat because its all plastic. A note though, the o rings may get dry if you are constantly pulling it apart to put in your pocket. But that should be a very easy fix when you know what size o rings it uses.
trill

Post by trill »

Going a little further:
Narzog wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:11 pm . . . the o rings may get dry if you are constantly pulling it apart to put in your pocket. . .
Or, if you simply grease it once in a while.

Also, Parks makes a nice-looking 3-piece:

https://www.parkswhistles.com/product/w ... cst=custom

I haven't played it, but the 3-pieces look about as compact as you could get. Also, the mouthpiece looks very similar to other plastic whistles.

trill
CoastWinds

Post by CoastWinds »

Narzog wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:11 pmMy 2 cents is if you have only played Susato because you really like them, you dont need to deviate and try others. If you have things you dont like about them, it could be worth trying others to fix those disliked traits (and probobly introduce new issues haha).
My first whistle was a Clarke (which met an untimely end on a trip). It came with the book that I bought on a whim and that got me started on this musical journey.

The Susato Kildare's impressed me as being loud whilst requiring less air than the Clarke. But now, I'm finding that loudness to be a liability in late-night solo practice sessions.

trill wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:56 pmAlso, Parks makes a nice-looking 3-piece:

https://www.parkswhistles.com/product/w ... cst=custom
Oh, very nice! But I thankfully don't need something so compact ... yet.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep it in mind in case I need a pocket/stealth whistle.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

I'd suggest looking at Goldfinch Whistles:
https://goldfinch.eu/our-instruments/

I have one in G that I travel with. Comes apart in 2 sections.
Solid tone, in tune, easy player.
CoastWinds

Post by CoastWinds »

stiofan wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:25 pm I'd suggest looking at Goldfinch Whistles:
Thanks for the suggestion. Those look interesting (along with the aforementioned Parks).

It seems though that no retailer has stock of them. Clearly there are supply-chain issues in some parts of the whistle world. :(
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I would highly recommend trying an Oak whistle in the key of C. If nothing else, it would let you see how a whistle is with very different playing characteristics than what you’re used to. They are also very inexpensive.

As far as mass-produced whistles go, I don’t think any modern company is currently consistently putting out that sort of whistle (the Gen/Feadog/etc. type) at that level of quality, especially at that price. They play really well, and they sound great. Very clear in the lower octave. The upper octave is sweet and chirpy, but with some complexity in the higher notes, but without any rasp or scratchy turbulence to navigate around with your breath (which I find is often the case with many recently made cheap whistles of this sort). The octave balance also isn’t too disproportional. They are just great sounding and great playing whistles, and all three of mine sound very close to each other, so it seems to me that they don’t suffer from as much variability as some of the injection molded whistle heads do from other companies. They make a great inexpensive car whistle. They are also significantly less loud than a Susato Kildare.

Frankly, I think a good Oak C whistle outperforms the vast majority of $200+ whistles, at least to my personal tastes. I don’t find their D whistles to be as good as their C whistles (though they are still reasonably good), but one of their C whistles is 10 bucks well spent. It’s cheap enough that it’s at least worth trying. If you don’t like it, you didn’t lose out on much, and it lets you experience this sort of “genre” of whistle to get a better idea of what you like.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

CoastWinds wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:17 am
stiofan wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:25 pm I'd suggest looking at Goldfinch Whistles:
Thanks for the suggestion. Those look interesting (along with the aforementioned Parks).

It seems though that no retailer has stock of them. Clearly there are supply-chain issues in some parts of the whistle world. :(
If by 'no retailer has stock of them,' you mean there aren't shops (brick/mortar or online) that sell Goldfinch whistles, that's because they're sold directly from the makers. Jakub is very easy to deal with and extremely customer-service oriented. goldfinchwhistles@gmail.com