Playing Low Whistle Outside

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flake Brown
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am new to uillean piping but am keen to learn more. I am a big fan of the playing of Johnny Doran!

Playing Low Whistle Outside

Post by Flake Brown »

Ive been a busking musician for many years on the guitar, but would like to try busking with my low whistle. I have a 'fidgin fain' plastic low d whistle, which has a lovely sound, but even the slightest of breezes interferes with the sound, meaning busking with it is out the question. Is it worthwhile me purchading a Cheiftain whistle, or would i encounter the same problem?
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Re: Playing Low Whistle Outside

Post by sfmans »

You'll do well to find any low whistle (or indeed high whistle or recorder) that isn't susceptible to the wind when playing outdoors; I've not actually tried a Chieftain outdoors but can't see why their windway design would be any less prone to the wind.

Flutes do slightly better, and piccolos better still (because of the concentrated jet of air) but they're still not immune. I play piccolo for my Morris side and have not been shy about positioning the band in a more favourable position when playing in windy conditions - you'll similarly get far better results by changing your orientation so the wind is behind you, than you will by changing your low whistle ... (but if you're looking for an excuse to justify upgrading your low whistle, I guess this is as good a one as any!)
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

Well that serves me right for making a definitive statement!

I've since learnt (via a low A review on the CutiePie YouTube channel) that some Carbony whistles are built with 'boxing' round the windway, designed to help you to play outdoors.

I couldn't immediately find on the Carbony website how to specify the 'boxing' option, but start at https://carbony.com/product-category/whistles/
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

You might try this option:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixckTW21e4I
The ´Tidy Cat Set!´
:D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

My guess is that you'll probably have a similar issue with a Chieftain whistle, if as you say, there's any wind in the air at all. Copeland whistles also have a similar 'boxing' around the window but of course, Copelands aren't easy to come by these days (not to mention are quite pricey). One thing you could try, if your whistle is tunable: rotate the head upside down, so the window is facing downward. It's a bit awkward to play that way, but might work.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes trying to play whistle, especially Low Whistle, in the wind is brutal.

As I recall there have been threads here talking about people making can-like things that go around the whistle which allow them to work in the wind.

If you're using a compact pickup you could have the window area completely enclosed, I would think.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

stiofan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:10 am My guess is that you'll probably have a similar issue with a Chieftain whistle, if as you say, there's any wind in the air at all. Copeland whistles also have a similar 'boxing' around the window but of course, Copelands aren't easy to come by these days (not to mention are quite pricey). One thing you could try, if your whistle is tunable: rotate the head upside down, so the window is facing downward. It's a bit awkward to play that way, but might work.
Heh heh, a little bit skeptical because of that last sentence, I just tried reversing the heads on two whistles - an old Generation C and a new Killarney treble D. Both are fine in the mouth. Now all I need is some wind to test it with....

A friend and myself were playing down at the Bateman's Bay water front last week, and the sea-breeze came up pretty strongly. We were able to find a seat with our backs to the wind, and I had no trouble playing flute or whistle. Then my phone rang, and I stood up to get it out of my pocket and fumble with the Answer button. Standing up, the breeze was so strong I could hardly hear the caller. So, back to the wind and a low profile help, but that might not always be possible in a good busking location.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Terry McGee wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:29 pm Heh heh, a little bit skeptical because of that last sentence, I just tried reversing the heads on two whistles - an old Generation C and a new Killarney treble D. Both are fine in the mouth. Now all I need is some wind to test it with....

A friend and myself were playing down at the Bateman's Bay water front last week, and the sea-breeze came up pretty strongly. We were able to find a seat with our backs to the wind, and I had no trouble playing flute or whistle. Then my phone rang, and I stood up to get it out of my pocket and fumble with the Answer button. Standing up, the breeze was so strong I could hardly hear the caller. So, back to the wind and a low profile help, but that might not always be possible in a good busking location.
Well, there's nothing quite like a field experiment to test the theory! Actually, I've "tested" it myself now and then, but as you discovered, there's an altitude factor to account for, even if it's just the distance between sitting and standing. :lol:
Flake Brown
Tell us something.: I am new to uillean piping but am keen to learn more. I am a big fan of the playing of Johnny Doran!

Post by Flake Brown »

Thanks for all the advice folks! I'll wait till the weather warms up a bit and try turning the head upside down as suggested!
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

A possible suggestion is a low D from S.B.Z.E - the Japanese pipemaker Ken Matsusaka's website. It has a shroud round the windway and tunes like a Burke (sounds good as well).

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
belayatron
Tell us something.: Been learning the tin whistle for just under 2 years (as of Jan 2020) and wanting to learn more! Currently own about 11 High D whistles, 2 Low Ds, 2 Flutes and favourite tune is probably off to California with a general love of Irish Hornpipes.

Post by belayatron »

Not a definitive answer at all, but I’ve collected quite a few Low Ds over the years (as in tried to pretend the issue was the whistle not me!):

- Tony dixon abs
- Tony dixon 3 part Delrin (the brass ring + cork joints flute/low d comb one)
- Kerry Optima (Chieftain)
- Chieftain v5
- Susato Kildare
- Shearwater
- Colin Goldie medium/hard blower

It still cuts out in wind, but for some reason, the Kerry Optima (I think the cheapest) is significantly the best (for me) when playing in windy conditions (I use it when playing for Morris groups now)