Can someone ID the tunes played in this video?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CoastWinds
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Beginner using only Susato whistles. Plays guitar and can be found in classical guitar forums under the moniker of CoastStrings. Absolutely NOT on Facebook.

Can someone ID the tunes played in this video?

Post by CoastWinds »

There's a video on YouTube entitled "Irish Hornpipes - Wouter Kellerman on Fife - The Live Sessions (Part 1)". Kellerman is performing on a Yamaha fife but I assume that it can be performed on a whistle. I don't yet know if forum rules allow me to link to YouTube videos but you can search for it by that specific name.

Is he playing a medley of traditional tunes that I can look-up the fingerings for?
Mr.Gumby

Re: Can someone ID the tunes played in this video?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The Boys of Bluehill/Harvest Home/Belfast hrnp Following in James Galway's footsteps, by the looks of it.

All I can say, if you want to learn the whistle or Irish music in an even remotely traditional way, do not learn from players like this.
My brain hurts

CoastWinds
Tell us something.: Beginner using only Susato whistles. Plays guitar and can be found in classical guitar forums under the moniker of CoastStrings. Absolutely NOT on Facebook.

Post by CoastWinds »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:01 pm The Boys of Bluehill/Harvest Home/Belfast hrnp Following in James Galway's footsteps, by the looks of it.
Many thanks! I can now look up the proper whistle tutorials on YouTube. :thumbsup:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

CoastWinds wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:04 am I don't yet know if forum rules allow me to link to YouTube videos
They do - Mod.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

" I can now look up the proper whistle tutorials on YouTube". Please be careful with that. From what I've seen, the majority of whistle players who claim to "teach" Irish tunes on "Youtube" have absolutely no clue about playing traditional Irish music.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
CoastWinds

Post by CoastWinds »

kenny wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:38 amFrom what I've seen, the majority of whistle players who claim to "teach" Irish tunes on "Youtube" have absolutely no clue about playing traditional Irish music.
Thanks. I'm absolutely open to recommendations.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Since you ask: There is a rather extensive ´sticky´ thread here of Youtube whistle-playing and background of the basis for the aesthetics.viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49647 This is really a fascinating and enjoyable resource.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi