Hello from the California Central Coast

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CoastWinds
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Beginner using only Susato whistles. Plays guitar and can be found in classical guitar forums under the moniker of CoastStrings. Absolutely NOT on Facebook.

Hello from the California Central Coast

Post by CoastWinds »

I thought I'd just introduce myself. I'm trying to make progress in playing the whistle and am hoping that being part of this community will help me along.

I still rank myself as a beginner and am working off the old Bill Ochs book from The Pennywhsitler's Press.

I just have three Susato whistles:
  • A fixed D small bore (I don't think these are made anymore)
  • A switchable small bore set with bodies for Bb, C, D, and Eb
  • A low-D because I wanted to experiment with it instead of learning the flute
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Hello from the California Central Coast

Post by pancelticpiper »

Welcome!

I used to have Susatos in many keys.

In general my opinion has been that Susatos get better as they get lower. I don't care for most of their higher keys, but my Susato Low D and especially my Susato Low C were fine players.

About your narrow-bore set, what's interesting is how Susato will sometimes make the same pitch whistle with various bores.

I had Mezzo 'A' Susatos in three different bore sizes. The narrowest one, which used their High D whistle bore and mouthpiece, was a standout player.

If your set is similar, you might find that the Bb is the best player of the lot. And if you can get an 'A' body for it I would recommend doing so.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
CoastWinds
Tell us something.: Beginner using only Susato whistles. Plays guitar and can be found in classical guitar forums under the moniker of CoastStrings. Absolutely NOT on Facebook.

Post by CoastWinds »

Thanks for the welcome!

My whistles are from the S series (Small Bore?) which seem to range from B to Eb. I'm not sure how my old set happened to get a Bb body. The M series (Medium Bore?) seems to range from G to Bb (so A is included).

The V series (Very Small Bore?) seems to range from D to F. I assume that these came out after I purchased my S series whistles. Perhaps there's an A model that I'm unaware of.

My Low-D was purchased before Susato offered the option of "keys" to make fingering easier. I'm wondering if it's possible to add keys to it.

Now, I just need to see if I can carve out 20 focused minutes in my busy day for routine practice.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Welcome! I wouldn't worry about having keys on your low D. Unless your hands are truly tiny you should be completely fine without them. And I can see keys introducing some of their own problems.
Hauke
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

Post by Hauke »

Welcome from the north of Germany.
You see, here we share the same passion from all over the world.
We had our first snow today. :thumbsup: