Bnat recommendation please

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bnat recommendation please

Post by ChristianRo »

Hi gang,

I am considering buying a new Bnat whistle. Many moons ago I had one from Michael Burke, which I swapped with a board member for a different one I liked less, so I gave that one away, too. For years I have been tooting on a Bnat DIY Generation thing with sellotape and stuff. Its intonation is a bit quirky though, so I am lusting for a good mid-price Bnat whistle, preferably available in Europe. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Christian
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Bnat recommendation please

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Probably not too much help: ages ago, after a disappointing 'mid price' experience, I got me a Sindt B, which was just over €100 at the time. It doesn't get much use but I never looked back.
My brain hurts

ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

Well, I asked the Killarney guy if he would consider going Bnat, but he seemed a bit indifferent towards the idea...
Christian
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

ChristianRo wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:49 pm Well, I asked the Killarney guy if he would consider going Bnat, but he seemed a bit indifferent towards the idea...
I just checked the site if they had one. They do have an A now, hadn't seen that before.

I'd suggest a Humphrey is probably your best option, although that won't work out all that cheap or even mid price once you cover transport and taxes.

I have seen B Susatos work with the pipes but can't say I am a big fan. Not their worst key though.
My brain hurts

Roland of Gilead
Tell us something.: I make ceramic instruments called Ocarinas for a living but am also very fond of playing whistle and accordion for Irish traditional music

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I'd suggest a Humphrey is probably your best option, although that won't work out all that cheap or even mid price once you cover transport and taxes.

After recently obtaining a Humphrey A, I would absolutely recommend trying one for sure. It's become my favorite whistle by far and if I had the funds I'd grab a few more without question.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I just got a used Humphrey low G 2 days ago, didn't get to play it until last night, and cant play today, so I've only played it once. I was going to wait on giving my thoughts on the Humphrey until I've played it more but then I saw this thread and had to bring it up.

Its incredible and confirms my idea that he under charges for his whistles.

I was immediately impressed with how much you can push the low end. But, the high end doesnt feel hard to play. Which is excellent, because many whistles that have strong low ends have really unpleasant to play high ends. Or, they have a really weak low end but a pleasant high end. It gives no unwanted squeaks if played badly, and had 0 moisture issues. The air efficiency probobly isnt the best, but its only a low G so I had no issues with air use. Also, the craftsmanship is fantastic.

My only singular 'con' which is very debatable if its even a con, is that it doesnt have filled/flat sides like Burkes/MK/Reyburn/Alba/Goldie etc. So it has a more 'trad' tuning curve than what I'm used to. Filled sides in the windway make the second octave break more in tune, which I'm a fan of. Open sides can obviously be played in tune, you just have to push it more. And many people prefer this style whistle. I'm just not used to it.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Christian
I have been on a bit of Kerry Busker whistles buying spree recently (too much time on eBay). One of which is B nat. It is the nicest of the ones I bought (D, C, B and G). It has a good tone, but it is quite loud.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

BigDavy wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:19 pm Hi Christian
I have been on a bit of Kerry Busker whistles buying spree recently... It has a good tone, but it is quite loud.

David
The one I got from mentioned swap was from a top maker and on the "ballsy" side, too. Not exactly what I am looking for in a Bnat whistle, wanting to complement the sweetness of my Bnat pipes.
@all: Thanks for the recommendations. I might look into a Humphrey after some consideration.
Christian
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

. I might look into a Humphrey after some consideration.
I just had a look. Before postage and taxes they will set you back $140-160, depending on the type. :shock:

At that rate you may as well see what John Sindt is charging right now and what the wait will be. Mind you, the head on the Sindt B is a mighty lump of brass. It's not a light whistle.

Here, for comparison, next to a Killarney C and D:

I am trying to think of any maker in the EU making a B that I have heard, let alone played. Not getting far with that, I have not been keeping up to speed with whistle makers. De Quelery lists a B but I don't know anything about their instruments. Their website is a bit confused, quoting wildly different prices from one page to the next.

In the US Hermit Hill has a 'other keys by request' option. But then, I don't know anything about them or how they will play. , I have never heard them played well enough to get a proper impression.

I can never grasp why makers put up clips of their instruments that are poorly recorded and not well played. It really puts me off every time. But there you have it.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

eskin

Post by eskin »

I already had a Bb Sindt, was able to very quickly get a B natural tube for it from John for something like $60. Fantastic instrument.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

If you have some old Generation Bb whistles knocking around you can get a B-natural whistle for free.

As I've mentioned before I just made one myself by chopping the tube on a Generation Bb.

Likewise I made a C# from a Generation C.

Both play very nicely.

It will take perhaps a half-hour to do. For best results it's important to do things in a certain order

1) chop the top of the brass tube (the part that goes into the plastic socket) until your upper-hand notes

xxx|ooo
xxo|ooo
xoo|ooo
ooo|ooo

are in tune to the new key you're after.

2) You'll find that the bellnote

xxx|xxx

is flat. Chop the bottom of the brass tube until that all-fingers-down tune is in tune to your new target key.

3) Next you'll find this note is flat

xxx|xxo

and you'll need to carve out the side of Hole 6 towards the mouthpiece until you get that note up to pitch.

4) Now only one note should be flat

xxx|xoo

and you'll need to carve Hole 5 in the same way.

Here's what all those whistles sound like (I get no money from YouTube just so you know)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-fQhvleWq8
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

If a humphrey costs too much, you could get a nightingale.

I believe this here is a B nat and not a Bb. Probably like $90 ish shipped. You can message 'whistles workshop' on facebook and ask. Thats the makers page.
https://shamanic.ru/muzykalnye-instrume ... avaev-1-1/

Linking because you will never find this site through google. And I have bought from this site before so its safe.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

you could get a nightingale
Aren't they covered by current sanctions? :poke:

Seriously though, all other issues aside, as things stand, sending payment to Russia is probably problematic, given various restrictions in place.
My brain hurts

Narzog

Post by Narzog »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:54 am
you could get a nightingale
Aren't they covered by current sanctions? :poke:

Seriously though, all other issues aside, as things stand, sending payment to Russia is probably problematic, given various restrictions in place.
True, is very possible that there could be sanction issues, I forgot about that. I have no idea how sanctions and stuff actually function, and how it effects the different countries. I was thinking paypal still works with Russia. And based on how the ruble is worth significantly more than it was at the start of the war, I'm assuming the sanctions arent working as intended. But it would definitely be worth researching before buying to be safe if anyone was to try and buy lol.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Narzog wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:33 pm
I was thinking paypal still works with Russia. .
PayPal shut down services to Russia in May 2022.
My brain hurts